What's new

Indian youths who joined ISIS may not face arrest on return

Do you think that youth returning from ISIS should be rehabilitated or Punished ?

• They should be rehabilitated and convinced to arrest ISIS recruiters.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • They should be arrested nad interrogated.

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Desi_Dalek

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian youths who joined ISIS may not face arrest on return
Deeptiman Tiwary,TNN | Oct 5, 2014, 03.25 AM IST

cc0427a06d52104adbbfe73fe64d4996.jpg

Islamic State recruits from India may not face arrest on return as government mulls reprieve in a bid to deradicalize them.

NEW DELHI: An NDA regime may be naturally seen as "tough on terror", but the Narendra Modi government seems to be toying with the idea of taking a humanitarian approach towards Indian youths who are suspected to be fighting alongside the Islamic State (also known as ISIS) in Iraq.

Faced with a proposal by NIA to lodge an FIR against ISIS, the home ministry is exploring if these youths can be deradicalised when they come back from Iraq rather than pushing them behind bars. The argument in favour of this idea is that an FIR will not only scare the youths from coming back but also prevent parents from reporting to police.

READ ALSO: Three Kalyan youths who joined ISIS may return from Syria

"We are still trying to find an answer to the question: 'How will an FIR help us?'. Legally speaking, these boys have done no wrong in India. Would it not be wiser to let them come in and keep them under observation and deradicalize them. May be they would be of more help then. The matter, however, is still under discussion," said a senior home ministry official.

A move like this, if actually taken into stride, would be a significant departure from the generally hawkish attitude of the security establishment and put in place a new paradigm for tackling terror.

f178959fd1f7aec6c09b8202cee8e8c3._.jpg

The four youths from Kalyan who reported joined ISIS

Intelligence agencies suspect as many as 18-20 Indian youths to be fighting in Iraq with ISIS. The family members of one of these youths, Arif Majid (from Thane, near Mumbai), had recently met home minister Rajnath Singh and requested him to take action against those who are radicalizing the youth. Majid is now suspected to be dead.

READ ALSO: 15 Hyderabad youngsters, including a girl, wanted to join ISIS ranks

Singh had subsequently, in a press conference, brushed aside the threat of ISIS on India as media hype. He had said that Indian Muslims are opposed to ISIS and would not join it in large numbers. He had said that the community leaders were working against such developments and that there were no fresh reports of youths joining ISIS after the first burst.

Days later, Prime Minister Narendra Modi echoed the sentiments while talking about the threat of Indians joining al-Qaida. In an interview, Modi said Indian Muslims are patriotic and would not dance to the tune of al-Qaida.

f4beee5fc23206661f4be876b44b0eb1._.jpg

NIA has asked the home ministry for permission to lodge an FIR against ISIS, based on sanctions on the outfit by UN convention. A decision is likely to be taken soon after discussions with the Intelligence Bureau and NSA Ajit Doval. In a counter argument, an NIA officer said, "Even if arresting these boys is not desirable, is it not important to find the guys who are radicalizing them and sending them to Iraq? How would that be done without an FIR?"

Indian youths who joined ISIS may not face arrest on return - The Times of India

This will only embolden more jehadies from India to venture into ISIS arms. I didn't vote for UPA -3 so don't want their appeasement policies. At the time when so called liberal democracies like UK , Denmark are adapting their constitution to fight new menace, India's so called right wing leader is going soft on terrorism. Disgusting.

Ex-NSA has recently disclosed that there are 150 Indians fighting along ISISL.

terrorism is unacceptable and must be destroyed now ! these young men must face the appropriate punishment from the proper authority

I strongly believe POTA should be re-introduced. it was powerful law which made these anti india elements think twice.. n these people should be removed immediately from the society without any explanation as they are all terrorist.

I strongly believe POTA should be re-introduced. it was powerful law which made these anti india elements think twice.. n these people should be removed immediately from the society without any explanation as they are all terrorist.

Secularism will not let this happen. It will demand that these terrorists be treated as heros, given free benefits and given important government posts because according to Secular legends, they have earned this by killing unarmed innocents in the name of their religion.

As long as Secularists have some resemblance of power, they will not let peace reign.

Yeah just like yasin mallick, sas gilani, politics of appeasement again on top.. Never expected this from bjp..
In my opinion they should be arrested.. Atleast to know what information they have..
If necessary send them jail.
:sniper:

first thing is most of them will get kill there. rehabilitation is just for show-off. Our main target ll be the people who are working in India for these extremists. Main target is to destroy them. Extremism can never be removed from peaceful people. You can only minimize the impact of it.

Yeah just like yasin mallick, sas gilani, politics of appeasement again on top.. Never expected this from bjp..
In my opinion they should be arrested.. Atleast to know what information they have..
If necessary send them jail.
:sniper:
First i have to say this mera BHARAT MAHAN..!!! terrorist c%nts are moving free.. living on indian tax payers money.. n yet making slogans against govt..
Well it was BJP who brought POTA first.. and as soon as Con-gress came into power first thing they did was to remove POTA.. as it was totally against their boot licking policies..
I hope our PM brings back POTA again.. it may look ruthless and powerful but only this kind of law can keep these scumbags in checks..
i say f*ck law.. these as$holes are fanatics brainwashed terrorist and they need to put down immediately.. encounter them.. they dont deserve to be live. China is best in dealing with these kinds of as$holes.

First i have to say this mera BHARAT MAHAN..!!! terrorist c%nts are moving free.. living on indian tax payers money.. n yet making slogans against govt..
Well it was BJP who brought POTA first.. and as soon as Con-gress came into power first thing they did was to remove POTA.. as it was totally against their boot licking policies..
I hope our PM brings back POTA again.. it may look ruthless and powerful but only this kind of law can keep these scumbags in checks..
i say f*ck law.. these as$holes are fanatics brainwashed terrorist and they need to put down immediately.. encounter them.. they dont deserve to be live. China is best in dealing with these kinds of as$holes.
your each word deserve one lakh.. Lakh rupaye ki baat kahi bhai..

Back
Top Bottom