Pakistan
Indian wrestler fails doping test ahead of Rio Olympics
By AFP
Published: July 24, 2016
6SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1148240-narsinghreuters-1469342261-775-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: REUTERS

NEW DELHI: Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav has failed a drugs test, the country’s anti-doping agency said on Sunday, raising doubts about his inclusion in the Olympic squad less than two weeks before the Rio Games begin.

Yadav, a Commonwealth Games gold medallist, qualified for next month’s Olympics in the 74-kilogram freestyle category, but tested positive for a banned steroid during routine testing.

A subsequent sample, known as a B sample, was also found to be positive.

“Narsingh was personally present when his B sample was opened,” National Anti-Doping Agency director general Navin Agarwal told thePress Trust of India news agency.

Call for Russia ban from Olympics after probe finds state-run doping

“He appeared before a disciplinary panel yesterday (Saturday). The panel sought more reports regarding the matter,” Agarwal said.

Agarwal said a decision had not yet been made on removing the 26-year-old from the Rio-bound squad, adding it was “too early to comment”.

“We will try to complete the whole thing quickly.”

Further hearings would be held into the case, the government said in a statement, confirming the positive test but not naming Yadav.

There was no immediate comment from Yadav, the son of a milk vendor, who won gold at the Commonwealth Games in 2010 but came home-empty handed from the London Olympics two years later.

Athletes and federations face Olympic doping bans – Bach

The news could open the door for champion wrestler Sushil Kumar, India’s most successful individual Olympian.

Kumar failed to qualify for Rio despite winning bronze at the 2008 Beijing Games and silver in London, both in the 66kg freestyle category.

Kumar launched a legal battle to win the right to compete against Yadav for the sole spot in the Indian squad for the 74kg, after his 66kg favourite event was axed.

But Delhi’s High Court last month sided with the International Wrestling Federation which ruled that Yadav, a 2015 world championship bronze medallist, had already qualified.

The Olympics start on August 5.

The teen, who could have possibly 'spiked' wrestler Narsingh Yadav's food supplements during his time at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Sonepat centre, has been identified, Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh told NDTV.

The 74-kg wrestler Narsingh tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid - methandienone - and will not go to the Rio Games, starting on August 5, and India will be represented by Parveen rana in his place.

The teen has been identified as the brother of an international wrestler in the super-heavyweight category. He allegedly infiltrated Narsingh's room at SAI and contaminated his food supplements. The SAI centre's cook and staff has identified the culprit, according to WFI. The teen has also has confessed to his crime, it added.

http://sports.ndtv.com/olympics-201...i-identified-reports?pfrom=home-lateststories

@ranjeet @arp2041

Last edited:
oops.
The use of PED's in every sports is increasing which is sad trend.

So he wont be charged guilty and free to join the rio group right ?

Final hearing today,

However, no FIR has been lodged against the teen yet, though it could be possibly done on Wednesday. Narsingh himself has filed a written complaint at Rai police station, near Panipat. He also has a final NADA hearing on Wednesday.

So he wont be charged guilty and free to join the rio group right ?
Not sure, as far as I know he is done for RIO, he does have a minor chance but from what I heard this drug stays in the system for 6-7 months so his next test will also come positive.

I am very very sure that coach Satpal Singh is behind this.....the way he reacted yesterday It gave us a hint....anchor didn't even say anything and he started defending himself that he has nothing to do with it....chor ki dadhi me tinka...

I am very very sure that coach Satpal Singh is behind this.....the way he reacted yesterday It gave us a hint....anchor didn't even say anything and he started defending himself that he has nothing to do with it....chor ki dadhi me tinka...
Why would he do something like this?

Probabily Yadav will miss the games, which is sad given that it is not his fault.

Why would he do something like this?

Because everyone wants to represent their country in Rio and only one gets the chance. Competition is huge so do grudges and revenges.

Atleast someone replaced him. Chances of anyone replacing him looked bleak.

Kiunke saas bhi kabhi bahu thi type of drama.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom