What's new

Indian Water Strategy - To Embrace or Alienate?

Isn't there another way we can get water sources to irrigate our lands rather than depending on the Indus river. Like building reservoirs or something?I am worried that if we keep depending on this river too much, someday India is going to use this as a deterrent. I am sure there is more than one way.

Isn't there another way we can get water sources to irrigate our lands rather than depending on the Indus river. Like building reservoirs or something?I am worried that if we keep depending on this river too much, someday India is going to use this as a deterrent. I am sure there is more than one way.

THERE IS NOT..............
Pakistan is desert without indus.....

you can't replace such a water resource with any other thing.If this was possible than we had already started irrigation on moon,mars etc....So try to understnd.
preserve water,make dams,don't waste on luxury,invest more on those crop which uses less water(you can use GM crops also),aware local population that how costly water is,Do better management of water.

And "reply your politician when they says next war will be with india on the water issue.
with this thing that this is due to your laziness,corruption and ignorance so start work instead of blame india"
:cheers:

Last edited:
Let India do what they want on their lands on the rivers that originates from their country...

Pakistan can jointly produce water with China

lol well technically if India and Pakistan unite we could just build water desalination projects in an IDEAL world and then we would not have to scramble over such issues - in an "ideal world":oops:

azadpakistan2009 is right. Even dubai gets most of its water like that. Desalination plants are a good idea. Use technology to make up for nature. Or use technology to make up for what technology did to nature. All very confusing actually. Or maybe Pakistan could pump gas to India and India in return pump water to Pakistan?

Yes there are many alternative ways.
But we both nations do not have resources to invest in those alternative ways.
Our agriculture is highly dependent on rivers and we are still using them like we were using in medieval days.

There is high possibility that rather investing in more alternative resources India will use rivers as cheapest resource available and will use water going into Pakistan irrespective of any animosity. Water is flowing through India and it will use it at its whim due to its ever growing demand. For your information now Kashmir has started claiming more water from rivers pouring into Pakistan.

What went wrong:

Pakistani policy makers were too generous while making water deals with India or Pakistani policy makers were less frank(communication gap) with India due to on going hatred and wars or Pakistani policy makers forget to make decision to serve national interest as they were busy fighting wars for USA.

Every time when Pakistan fought wars it lost friend and water. Animosity with India is not at the cost of Kashmir but is at the cost of water.

Is India not abiding by treaty:
India is 100% abiding by treaty but your policy makers are using water as propaganda to create pressure on India for Kashmir.
Rather it has to be opposite water first and Kashmir second again short sightedness. we are not discussing water when on table but Kashmir.

Most of your media reports on water shortage lack credibility. Your grain production stats have never seen down slope and are ever growing since independence. You are using water more then ever thus shortage is also home grown.
Your officials are allowed to visit India as per treaty any time to inspect water bodies and dams. So there is no point India can cheat per international norms and use water allotted to Pakistan as per treaty.

Salvation:
1.Please talk water ASAP.
2.Do more proactive friendly diplomacy to change previous treaties (no bullying).
3.Plan and invest to Preserve water as much as you guys can.
Your water management authorities are always in a race during rainy season to make bigger obstacles so that rainy rivers may harm Indian territories more so as Indian at borders do make more bigger walls to counter. Rather competing with India like enemies why Pakistan do not invest to use rainy water for dry season? Are we effected with floods during monsoons? yes we do. So what is the fuss, water runs downhills isn't it. Pakistan's approach for water management is outdated and India dependent. There are no free lunches, Pakistan should understand its constraints of geography and must invest to become water efficient.

4.Sea water desalination like Dubai for Karachi.

Regarding alternative rexources of water...

Yes, but no, we can somehow manage to reduce dependency on indus river. by learning from the example of Dubai (and probably KSA too) we can use sea water to feed almost 25% of our nation. But for agriculture purposes, this is not feasible at this time. Do you know that housing societies, perticularly DHA, Bahria etc, initially did not digg the mountains etc. Because the cost was so high. It is only now, the inflow went high than the cost and now, you can see them washing off the mountains, especialy in the case of Bahria Town, phase 6,7,8,9. Where they leveled all the mountains and creating plots etc. Same is the case with water. Soon the time will come, if India could not be stopped, when the cost will remain high, but but the need or I should say the inflow of benefits will rise higher. By the way, you must mentally prepare yourself to see a Water pipeline running from Gawadar to all over Pakistan.

The other important source of water for Pakistan is part of the indus systems, which is withing the region, under control of Paksitan. Indus get water from rains, the root does not produce water like zamzam. 70% of indus system is withing Pakistan, though the remaining is India's control or in China... The total of water in Indus from its originating point to Pakistan is also very crucial though. Which is not very very important for Pakistan, but it does have significant importance. Not only for agriculture purposes, but India can also flood the whole of Pakistan, by building dams etc. This is so much irrtating for us. Keeping in mind, India's past record, Indians themselves can't gaurantee that they will never do this to Paksitan.

Ice mountains, moon soon etc withing Pakistan is another source, we can depend on. And we do have alternatives plans to counter deficiency in case India show up with its true face. However, managing floods is what we have very little preparations.

Regarding co production of water with China...

Don't you worry, we will co-produce water from indus. You just wait and see. :pakistan::china:

regarding post # 2, which is most liked by indians...

Read carefully, what the poster is saying.

ei-Indian said that "(1) Indus Water Treaty is not violated by any party". While the link he gave has a heading "Indus water treaty is intact,India-Pakistan commissioners". Later, in the very first line, the resource says, "Lahore, Pakistan and India have said that Indus water treaty is intact and both the countries will implement it in letter and spirit". So the Indus water treaty is intact, which means that both countries believe and still honor the treaty. Nothing more than this, this is just a news. Futher it says that both countries WILL IMPLEMENT IT. means the implementation is not done or in the process.

ek-indian, watch before you talk. Do I have still a need to read furuther and waste my time?

Then the last para of the wiziristan article... READ CAREFULLY EK, it says (the article says as the writer EXPLAINED, what Mr. Jammat said in his own words) that Pakistan WAS getting water from indus. Further he said that lack of water shortage(Now a day, not always in the past and always in the future) in Pakistan is due to lack of rain. This is a carefull choosing of words as the commissioner going to visit India for talks, so no tit for tat through media, as we are expecting something PRODUCTIVE from India in talks.

EK, you must learn who to interpret the news, my sincer advice, yea?

Now move to the third link you provided, EK...

You said, "Most of the bad policies in water issue is because of bad or no policies in this regard from Pakistan's side.", while the source you provided in support is on tottally different topic, it does not rant on Pakistani politicians for inefficiancy, rathers it is talking about the need for how we should manage the water crisis. At one point the same article, which you had trusted, says, "They (The Experts) said that it was not the Pakistan alone against which the Indian govt was hatching water conspiracies but it was playing the same game with China, Bangladesh and Nepal." So what you say about it, EK?

regarding post # 4...

He had said, what you intend to say, but I do not know, why? Most probably due to constraints on him by political leadership due to international constraints. Because of which, Pakistan keeping low on indian insurgency in North and Balochistan...

whatever, this is not true that India never flooded Pakistan, The one news which I can produce here if off 2008.

Indian water floods Pakistani villages Updated at: 0615 PST, Monday, August 18, 2008
LAHORE: Hundreds of villages in Pakistani Punjab flooded, as India released countless waters in the Sutlej River, said sources in the Flood Forecasting Division (FFD) here Sunday.

The Okara district’s areas Baseerpur, Mandi Ahmed Abad, Haveli Lakha and dozens of villages alongside Head Sulemanki were inundated with Indian floodwater.
The flood inflicted huge damages to standing crops of paddy and cotton, roads, houses and other infrastructures in these areas that caused numerous problems for the rescuers to shift the local people to safer places, they added.

Now the flood is heading from Head Sulemanki towards Pakpattan, where thousands of people are being shifted to safe places from 30 villages including Pir Ghani, Jagga Baloch, Hota and Beli Dilawar.
The FFD authorities said that the flood would approach Pakpattan on Sunday evening, predicting floods in districts of Kasur, Bahawalnagar and Vehari.

According to the FFD report, Sutlej River at Ganda Singh Wala and Sulemanki is likely to remain in low to medium flood during next 24 hours.

However, Kabul River at Nowshera is in medium flood, while Indus River at Chashma, Taunsa and Guddu, and Ravi River at Balloki are in low floods.

Therefore, it is wrong to say that India never flooded Pakistan, it flooded Pakistan many times.

GO GET SOME OTHER VIDEO NOW? :sniper:

THERE IS NOT..............
Pakistan is desert without indus.....

WOW,That's so helpful!!Thanks for your feedback(sarcasm)

you can't replace such a water resource with any other thing.If this was possible than we had already started irrigation on moon,mars etc....So try to understnd.
preserve water,make dams,don't waste on luxury,invest more on those crop which uses less water(you can use GM crops also),aware local population that how costly water is,Do better management of water.

And "reply your politician when they says next war will be with india on the water issue.
with this thing that this is due to your laziness,corruption and ignorance so start work instead of blame india

Dude, why would anyone put water on Mars and Moon when there is not even existence of life? Please rethink before typing.

I know hell lot about water management and everything, but I am pretty sure someday, this rivers would dry up, and we have to find some alternative way.

Dude, if you ever even bother to read my post, you would have known I wasn't even blaming India for whatever is happening to Pakistan rivers. So please, just because I am a Pakistani, does not mean I look at things always at a Pakistani perspective as I try to be as neutral as possible.

So before that, do not tell me what I should tell my Government or anything. Every Country has their own levels of corruption. And yes, its hard to break the backbone of corruption.

Whether India steals water or not, I do not care, as I belief we do not have enough evidence to prove your involvement.

Yes there are many alternative ways.
But we both nations do not have resources to invest in those alternative ways.
Our agriculture is highly dependent on rivers and we are still using them like we were using in medieval days.

There is high possibility that rather investing in more alternative resources India will use rivers as cheapest resource available and will use water going into Pakistan irrespective of any animosity. Water is flowing through India and it will use it at its whim due to its ever growing demand. For your information now Kashmir has started claiming more water from rivers pouring into Pakistan.

What went wrong:

Pakistani policy makers were too generous while making water deals with India or Pakistani policy makers were less frank(communication gap) with India due to on going hatred and wars or Pakistani policy makers forget to make decision to serve national interest as they were busy fighting wars for USA.

Every time when Pakistan fought wars it lost friend and water. Animosity with India is not at the cost of Kashmir but is at the cost of water.

Is India not abiding by treaty:
India is 100% abiding by treaty but your policy makers are using water as propaganda to create pressure on India for Kashmir.
Rather it has to be opposite water first and Kashmir second again short sightedness. we are not discussing water when on table but Kashmir.

Most of your media reports on water shortage lack credibility. Your grain production stats have never seen down slope and are ever growing since independence. You are using water more then ever thus shortage is also home grown.
Your officials are allowed to visit India as per treaty any time to inspect water bodies and dams. So there is no point India can cheat per international norms and use water allotted to Pakistan as per treaty.

Salvation:
1.Please talk water ASAP.
2.Do more proactive friendly diplomacy to change previous treaties (no bullying).
3.Plan and invest to Preserve water as much as you guys can.
Your water management authorities are always in a race during rainy season to make bigger obstacles so that rainy rivers may harm Indian territories more so as Indian at borders do make more bigger walls to counter. Rather competing with India like enemies why Pakistan do not invest to use rainy water for dry season? Are we effected with floods during monsoons? yes we do. So what is the fuss, water runs downhills isn't it. Pakistan's approach for water management is outdated and India dependent. There are no free lunches, Pakistan should understand its constraints of geography and must invest to become water efficient.

4.Sea water desalination like Dubai for Karachi.

Thanks for the constructive reply. I was thinking of Desalination plant invested in Pakistan, but its relatively expensive, and we do not have enough skilled manpower for this job, and I always thought it is related to water consumption, no for agricultural plantation.

Anyway, I am sure if GoP acts right now, it would take a different way. Currently, I am afraid, even if we go on the tables now, I doubt India would change its stand on the water treaty, and could in fact use this as a leverage over Pakistan. To evade from this, GoP shoud invest in more water production research, to get over this.

Not removing rivers, but perhaps adding more streams into the Indus

I've always wondered about the possibility of some sort of engineering marvel that can push the ICY regions of Pakistan downwards on a regular basis. Ice just needs to move a small distance downwards and it will start melting. Give the natural process a little kick.

Obviously this can't be done by bulldozers pushing the snowglaciers down... I'm thinking of a solution where large platforms can be built of skyscraping support pillars in a moutainous area. The platforms can have trap doors to allow the accumulated snow to fall down.

The snow when it comes downwards will be in a more temperate climate and will gradually begin melting. From there it flows into the Indus or tributaries of Indus through canals

Its a crazy idea, I wonder if we have any civil engineers here who can comment if whether or not is it even doable? Has any other country built an artificial river?

Not removing rivers, but perhaps adding more streams into the Indus

I've always wondered about the possibility of some sort of engineering marvel that can push the ICY regions of Pakistan downwards on a regular basis. Ice just needs to move a small distance downwards and it will start melting. Give the natural process a little kick.

Obviously this can't be done by bulldozers pushing the snowglaciers down... I'm thinking of a solution where large platforms can be built of skyscraping support pillars in a moutainous area. The platforms can have trap doors to allow the accumulated snow to fall down.

The snow when it comes downwards will be in a more temperate climate and will gradually begin melting. From there it flows into the Indus or tributaries of Indus through canals

Its a crazy idea, I wonder if we have any civil engineers here who can comment if whether or not is it even doable? Has any other country built an artificial river?

What are you saying :
1. We are talking about continues water supply to millions of people & for a long time....

2. Today due to global warming it is expected that most of the ice of sub continent will be dried up within 10 to 20 years....

even It is predicted that even great ganges glaciers(gangotri) will be out of ice in 10 to 15 years..

I doubt it can be done, furthermore, its too risky. What if an error occurs, ir probably results in an avalanche and could severe the lives of people living in the mountains. But yeah, I wish there is a way to build our own rivers.

Google with 'sea water in agriculture'. Some articles you might find interesting. I think within couple of decades scientists would be able to find out ways to use sea water in agriculture in broad basis.

Back
Top Bottom