What's new

Indian state bans beef, introduces jail time for possession

Who said anything about France?
Right, drag something else in when you cannot get your point across..

Can't help if you are incapable of understanding. You said this:

If cows are not holy to non-hindus, which there are plenty in India, then why the heck are they being denied a source of cheap protein, as many news articles suggest?

I pointed out that the same argument could be made about cartoons or other imagery or writings against Islamic figures when done by non-Muslims & and asked whether you would lend your support to the likes of the French cartoonists as having the right to do such cartoons based on them being non-muslims. If you don't & you still insists on the line of argument on cows & Hindu beliefs versus non-Hindu beliefs, then it certainly clarifies your position as hypocritical on the matter.

That does not matter. Holy verses are found in Garbage. so ?
So, you are supporting the move that cow should not be slaughtered but does not care that she die horrible death (worse than slaughter) by eating plastics & drinking dirty water ?

The law is framed for the protection of cattle even if the reason is not necessarily that alone. It also is a state subject & has nothing to do with the central government. Different states have different laws. A Ban on cow slaughter is explicitly allowed under the Indian constitution.

As for the argument of it being against secularism, I would agree if you accept that French style secularism is the basis where religious consideration has no part to play.

If the argument is that regardless of the cow being considered a holy animal by Hindus, that Muslims must be allowed to slaughter & consume its meat regardless of the offense it might cause Hindus, that does follow the French idea of secularism. The counter point to that is non Muslims must then be allowed to draw cartoons & make fun of Islamic figures since the restrictions against such an act can only apply to Muslims & not to people who are non-adherents of that faith. I have seen very few Muslims agreeing to that interpretation. To argue that it is one's right to cause offense but not be a recipient of similar offense is more than a bit hypocritical.

The beef - pork comparison is not very accurate. Muslims do not consider the pig holy.

You are mixing several issues into one.

Freedom of speech, As far as I am concerned, well yes I am all for that, as long as this applies to everyone. If someone feels the need to insult our Prophet by drawing derogatory cartoons or whatever, I just look the other way and say to myself "another mor0n, lets ignore him, not give him any importance or make him famous by making an issue out of it".

But then I'll also expect that all those people who are sent to jail for 5 years for just expressing an opinion about holocaust should also have the right of "freedom of speech" without having to face 5 years or so in prison.

See this is where the real problem about freedom of speech starts, either you implement for every one without being selective or you put restrictions on it taking into consideration of sensitivities of other minorities such as Hindus, Muslims etc.

Now back to Cow slaughter thing: Declare your country Hindu Republic of India and implement all Hindu laws there. No issue there.

But stop calling yourself Secular if you allow only the majority religion to dictate their terms on others.

As if you see sometime then all ban would be lifted.
Indians does not eat beef but largest exporter of Beef.
After a budget they would know what is reality.

So you're saying the ban will be lifted or reduced sooner than later?

Cow Slaughter is not Banned in NE states and Kerala...............
I guess, then, enjoy while it lasts.

RSS is coming for you.

So, you are supporting the move that cow should not be slaughtered but does not care that she die horrible death (worse than slaughter) by eating plastics & drinking dirty water ?
Nope. first step is to ban cow slaughter. second step is to creating good habitat for the. Third is ban plastic.

Freedom of speech, As far as I am concerned, well yes I am all for that, as long as this applies to everyone. If someone feels the need to insult our Prophet by drawing derogatory cartoons or whatever, I just look the other way and say to myself "another mor0n, lets ignore him, not give him any importance or make him famous by making an issue out of it".

But then I'll also expect that all those people who are sent to jail for 5 years for just expressing an opinion about holocaust should also have the right of "freedom of speech" without having to face 5 years or so in prison.

See this is where the real problem about freedom of speech starts, either you implement for every one without being selective or you put restrictions on it taking into consideration of sensitivities of other minorities such as Hindus, Muslims etc.

Now back to Cow slaughter thing: Declare your country Hindu Republic of India and implement all Hindu laws there. No issue there.

But stop calling yourself Secular if you allow only the majority religion to dictate their terms on others.
Ok so you are saying that in secular country insulting other religions is ok./ is not it ?

please read op again... mere possession of beef is punishable.
So you're saying the ban will be lifted or reduced sooner than later?
Cow Slaughter banned in UP since 1950
If you have a time then come to Tunde Kebeb wala & enjoy beef dishes which you never get in the world and some get in touch with original Urdu not Pakistani Khichdi Urdu

I guess, then, enjoy while it lasts.

RSS is coming for you.

Thanks for your concern................But in Kerala even Hindus consume beef.................RSS is there is Kerala for past 40 to 50 years..........................

Freedom of speech, As far as I am concerned, well yes I am all for that, as long as this applies to everyone. If someone feels the need to insult our Prophet by drawing derogatory cartoons or whatever, I just look the other way and say to myself "another mor0n, lets ignore him, not give him anyimportance or make him famous by making an issue out of it".

I applaud your point of view on the cartoons but my point is connected to India. In India, the cartoons would be banned along with any other literature that offends Muslims. That means the state follows a modified version of secularism where it suppresses partially the right of some(non-Muslims in this case) of free speech because of the offense it causes to Muslims. Surely the the logic of the same state banning Beef which may infringe on some rights of non-Hindus to eat what they want can be viewed similarly. It is entirely consistent with how the Indian state conducts its secular business which is different from the likes of France where both eating whatever one wants regardless of the offense caused as well as drawing cartoons regardless of offense caused would be allowed.

Nope. first step is to ban cow slaughter. second step is to creating good habitat for the. Third is ban plastic.
What about first create good habibat, then Ban.
Well, you can't ban Plastic in low income country like India eco plastics are expensive , you can limit it.

Back
Top Bottom