Indian preparations for another dam on Chenab

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Updated : Monday February 22 , 2010 12:04:33 PM
ISLAMABAD: New Delhi has started preparations to build a big dam on River Chenab in violation of the 1960 Indus Water Treaty, that will create water crisis in Pakistan and unleash hazardous changes in environment, reports said.

According to reports the government of Indian-occupied Kashmir has invited bids for a ‘topographical survey of Bursar Dam (on Chenab) for acquisition of land and property’. New Delhi plans to begin construction by the end of the year.

Bursar Dam is considered as the biggest project among a host of others being built by India on two major rivers – Jhelum and Chenab – flowing through the state of Jammu & Kashmir into Pakistan and assigned to Islamabad under the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty.

The proposed dam would not only violate the treaty, international environmental conventions and cause water scarcity in Pakistan but would also contribute towards melting of Himalayan glaciers.

Pakistan still undecided when to formally seek intervention of the International Court of Arbitration against controversial construction of Kishanganga hydropower project by India, the neighboring country has started preparations for another illegal dam.

----------------------------------------------------

I am personally fed up after so many dams news..... as said in indian media, there will be wars taking place in South Asia not because of land, or oil or wealth but only WATER. Lets go for another war this time, its better than dying thirsty :hitwall::hitwall: i never saw any water shortage in my whole life in Pakistan but last time when i visited Pakistan i was stunned to see people were unable to access water for hours......... and peoples like me could afford to buy mineral waters but what about the public? :cry:

It was really a despressing moment for me that i had never seen before

The last time Pakistan took India to court over the IWT, Pakistan's case was thrown out. Even your own minister has mentioned that Indian hasn't violated the treaty. Pakistan should first prove that these dams do indeed violate the IWT. Just saying that they do without showing how much the flow has decreased in cubic meters will be childish.

Regarding the lack of water in Pakistan, even India is facing acute water shortage. The govt. supplies water only for a couple of hours every day and people store it up to use when required.

If its illegal, go to arbitrar. The treaty is there for a reason - for use in case of disputes.

Until then, shut up.

And yeah, don't know about you, but I guess your govt and army (don't know whom to refer to as I am always confused) are pretty intelligent. They wouldn't take a drastic step like bombing the dams and risking a war on the eastern front without talking over it first.

And btw, this alleged water theft by India isn't even on the agenda of the impending secretary level talks. I wonder why you are so worked up.

That's precisely the problem.....Pakistan Government has done practically nothing to utilize water share they already have......so they throw anti India stories in Media...so that public blames India for their incompetency....

Experts urge provincial govts to build dams | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

no actually i was talking about pre-2001 there were no water shortage in my area............ now every single dam and rivers in Pakistan are dried up if you ever go chenab, jhelum, ravi or any other river it more looks like a ground rather than the river

you hardly get to see any water there, thats where the problem is begin....

no actually i was talking about pre-2001 there were no water shortage in my area............ now every single dam and rivers in Pakistan are dried up if you ever go chenab, jhelum, ravi or any other river it more looks like a ground rather than the river

you hardly get to see any water there, thats where the problem is begin....

Same is the case in Delhi.. Yamuna has completelty vanished, lot of rivers in north india , including ganges have shrunk considerably. Cauvery in south is no different.

People activity on flora and fauna is resulting to that, and add global warming, you get the answer. so conserve what you have rather then pointing fingures and misleading common people

Updated : Monday February 22 , 2010 12:04:33 PM
ISLAMABAD: New Delhi has started preparations to build a big dam on River Chenab in violation of the 1960 Indus Water Treaty, that will create water crisis in Pakistan and unleash hazardous changes in environment, reports said.

According to reports the government of Indian-occupied Kashmir has invited bids for a ‘topographical survey of Bursar Dam (on Chenab) for acquisition of land and property’. New Delhi plans to begin construction by the end of the year.

Bursar Dam is considered as the biggest project among a host of others being built by India on two major rivers – Jhelum and Chenab – flowing through the state of Jammu & Kashmir into Pakistan and assigned to Islamabad under the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty.

The proposed dam would not only violate the treaty, international environmental conventions and cause water scarcity in Pakistan but would also contribute towards melting of Himalayan glaciers.

It was really a despressing moment for me that i had never seen before

just curious about how building a dam would contribute to melting of himalayan glaciers!

now i want to know how many dams has pakistan has built in its own territory to enable proper utilization of the water it receives?

Same is the case in Delhi.. Yamuna has completelty vanished, lot of rivers in north india , including ganges have shrunk considerably. Cauvery in south is no different.

People activity on flora and fauna is resulting to that, and add global warming, you get the answer. so conserve what you have rather then pointing fingures and misleading common people

wth is water going then :hitwall: We had enough reserves back in 19th Century.......... now Pakistan facing water shortage, India facing water shortage, bangladesh and other south asian countries facing water crisis

where the hell water has suddenly disappeared? may be americans came dig our land and put pipes and importing water to Afghanistan and other friendly countries :rofl:

there are specific arbitration mechanism inserted in IWT....issues have to be raised on the right platform before adjudging any party for breach or liability...
also there is no solution to paranoia as well...
Water shortage is a subcontinental problem & the most apparent manifestation is the dried river beds...its such a pity to see Yamuna convert into nala now...Y dont GOI dont do something about it before CWG..?

wth is water going then :hitwall: We had enough reserves back in 19th Century.......... now Pakistan facing water shortage, India facing water shortage, bangladesh and other south asian countries facing water crisis

where the hell water has suddenly disappeared? may be americans came dig our land and put pipes and importing water to Afghanistan and other friendly countries :rofl:

Two words - Over population.

well the answer is---

1.subcontinental population has more become more than 7-8 times since 19th C & still going at great guns..

2.modern industries such as chemicals, leather, power generation etc require immense amount of water & hence the diversion of water resources..

3. agriculture is becoming increasingly irrigation based as opposed to rain-fed earlier...coupled with monsoon failures in recent decades( climate change possibly), it will continue to do so in future.

4. construction of big hydro-electric power projects has led to immense storage of water thus drying of river beds.

5.dumping of industrial & organic wastage in rivers has polluted them to a large extent thus rivers now resemble a nala.

6.climate change & decrease in formation of Himalayan glaciers has led to less discharge of water in our perennial rivers.

7.seasonal rivers are affected by uneven rains thus decrease in water supply

These are few reasons that I find may responsible..

Few have predicted that future wars will be fought on water.
Experience shows that when there is a shortage of a resource it leads it great acrimony,animosity to capture the limited available resource or it may lead to increasing co-operation for sustainability of the resource that may lead to its maximum utilization....

I sincerely hope its the latter in our future course of conduct.

Back
Top Bottom