What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

When Bongs were enthralled with Modi's speech, never before in 60 years.

Uni eshey gechhen. Uni eshey gechhen, (He has come, he has come)” goes the excited rumour at the dusty Brigade Parade Ground in Kolkata. Since much of the crowd is occupied in tossing pebbles to try and get the people in front to sit down, no one can quite see who the “he” is at first. It turns out it is not Narendra Modi. It’s the BJP’s latest inductee – Bappi Lahiri.

Fortunately the rotund Bappi Lahiri makes for quite an unmistakable landmark on the faraway stage. “See Bappi-da over there” a man orients his young son. And then points out other luminaries like Varun Gandhi relative to Bappi-da as if he is the pole star. In Kolkata rallies, size clearly matters. Once upon a time the CPM had scoffed at the BJP’s ambitions in West Bengal saying one needed a telescope to see the BJP. A man standing at the back of Narendra Modi’s jan samudra of a rally in Brigade Parade Ground unknowingly turns that quip on it’s head. “I wish I had brought a telescope,” he complains. “The stage is so far away and there are so many people.”

As I said, when Kolkata has a rally, size matters. A lot. More than anything anyone says at a rally what people relive with a sort of masochistic relish is the pain. People remember historic rallies by how long it took them to get home from work. A political party’s mettle is measured by its ability to bring the city’s already chaotic traffic to its knees. As the Modi rally got underway, Ram Vilas, standing wrapped in a shawl and monkey cap (though he is from Uttar Pradesh not West Bengal) says he’s been coming to rallies here for thirty years. This is quite something he says. “After thirty years I really saw the Brigade ground filled up,” he says admiringly. “Jyoti Basu could not do it. Indira Gandhi could no do it.” He says, "the whole world is waiting for Modi.” That’s to be expected.

The BJP alleges their buses are being blocked. But the crowd Modi can draw in a state where the BJP is not even the main opposition is impressive. The Telegraph estimates that over 1.5 lakh came to the Brigade Parade Ground. “The size of this rally will surely give Mamata sleepless nights. She’ll have to take a sleeping pill tonight,” chuckles Mousumi Bhattacharya from Debagram in Nadia close to the famous battlefield of Plassey.

Bhattacharya ran as a zilla parishad candidate on the BJP ticket. But she’s stuck at the back of the rally, sitting on a newspaper and all she can see are the backs of green plastic chairs where Modi fans are piled up, sometimes four to a chair. “I could have seen it better on TV at home,” admits Bhattacharya. “But the crush of the crowd has its own enjoyment.” Modi plays the huge crowd to the hilt. The poster above the stage includes him into a Bengali pantheon of Tagore, Subhas Bose, Kazi Nazrul Islam, Swami Vivekananda and Shyama Prasad Mukherjee. If the poster is subtle in its Bengali canonization, the speakers are more blatant, one exhorting the crowd to put their vishwas in Narendrabhai the same way they once put their faith in another Naren (Vivekananda).

As the choir breathlessly sings the old Bengali patriotic song “Muktir mondiro sopanotoley” this could be a hammer-and-sickle roadside rally. Rallies in Bengal, no matter the political colour, apparently have a certain cast-in-stone song list. One expects the choir to break into “Negro bhai aamaar Paul Robeson” any minute. Modi, clearly delighted by the mammoth crowd, Bengali-name drops throughout his speech, stroking Bengali pride and stoking Bengali hurts. Subhas Bose or Subhas-babu didn’t get his rightful place in history because of Congress conspiracies. Pranab-dada, he reminds the audience was denied the prime ministership after Indira Gandhi’s assassination though he was the senior-most member in her cabinet. (Jyoti Basu too was denied the prime ministership too but he does not mention that.)

While all political leaders try and play to their audiences in their speeches, Modi goes above and beyond the call of duty in his flattery. He coos “Aami tomaay bhalobashi” to his “sonar Bangla”. He quotes Tagore’s Where the Mind is Without Fear in stentorian Bengali. And if he slips and calls a rosogolla a rosogollo, the crowd is forgiving. Especially because he leads them in a chant of “cholbe na, cholbe na” (will not work, will not work) and slyly mocks Mamata’s favourite slogan “poriborton” showing he understands not just the state’s history but gets its political lingo as well to deliver a few jabs.

The speech shows he has done his homework,” smiles Soumit De Sarkar, a civil engineer from Kolkata dressed in the Bengali intellectual’s uniform of kurta and jeans. “For a non-Bengali to have this many Bengali touches is quite unusual.” Of course, the irony is much of the audience is as Bengalis quaintly put it, “non-Bengali” as well – from Jharkhand, Bihar, UP, Kolkata’s Marwari business community. Modi’s laboured Bengali is not exactly wasted on them but they are rather bemused.

They are more interested in his plans for the future of India than his rumination on the wonder that was Bengal and the debt owed to Shyama Prasad Mukherjee and Gurudev Tagore. Many are here to see Modi as a sort of tourist attraction while they drink the lebu-cha (lemon tea) and suck on chutney lozenges. Mahadev Bala has come with his wife Bakul from Purbastali, a two-and-half hour journey by train. He says he does not want to stay and visit the Indian Museum or the Zoo. “I have a rabbit, dogs, guinea pigs and all kind of birds at home,” he says. “I will go back right after the rally.” For him a Modi sighting even from afar is accomplishment enough.

As long as Caste identities exist, every caste would like to have a representative in the Government to further/preserve their interests. And the Govt can't issue affirmative actions(or is it discrimination?) on caste lines and expect casteism to diminish. I'm afraid India is caught in a vicious circle, the exit to which is known by all, but needed by only a few.

I was brought up without ever knowing what my caste was/is, this needs to be replicated across India.

Not necessity but Should :-)

nobody opposes urbanization :-)

Casteism can be removed altogether if the Government so wishes. It survives solely because the Government has provided it institutional support. Didn't Sati die out once abolished? But can/will we ever get a Leader who's so strong-willed as to abolish caste system? Not in my lifetime.

Buddy I want atleast 3-5 seats in TN

For NaMo to reach Delhi comfortably, he needs atleast 50-55 in UP.

And it is not an impossible task!

He may get more , some of the people over there vote for AIADMK because they think the party favors Hindus , if BJP comes into play those votes may go for BJP...

Casteism can be removed altogether if the Government so wishes. It survives solely because the Government has provided it institutional support. Didn't Sati die out once abolished? But can/will we ever get a Leader who's so strong-willed as to abolish caste system? Not in my lifetime.

Caste is linked to part of life ,its not that easy concept to understand if you are not born inside it .

How you eat,what you eat,where you eat,where you live,marriage,death,how people view you these are all decided by caste.

Sati was not this type of concept :|

Must Read Article :
BJP in UP confident of 40,trying for 50 ;Caste equations,modi from UP and other things {{3 Page GOLD}}

complete UP picture modi,bsp,sp,aap,caste and much more masala

BJP's UP challenge: 50-plus seats seem a tall order for Lok Sabha elections - The Economic Times

In other news:

Mayawati going for muslim+dalit (+Gujjars?)
Lok Sabha polls: Adding muslims to dalit base, BSP hopes to win western UP - The Economic Times

Article states that youth is largely gona vote in favour of BJP and good news is that UP has added 1.8 carore new voters for this 2014 poll when one compares with 2009 polls.There are total 13.6 voters in UP ready to cast their votes this year.Now you do the maths. Almost 15% new voters and that is huge. I would give 55-60 seats to BJP

Caste is linked to part of life ,its not that easy concept to understand if you are not born inside it .

How you eat,what you eat,where you eat,where you live,how people view you these are all decided by caste.

Sati was not this type of concept :|

I agree. But the Caste system is beyond it's sell-by date. If action to discard it is taken now, it will eventually get diminished in 40-50 years to the extent that it will no longer be a factor in elections, jobs etc. If Brahmins are the highest and best caste, let everyone become Brahmins! And if everyone is a Brahmin, then no one is. :-)

I agree. But the Caste system is beyond it's sell-by date. If action to discard it is taken now, it will eventually get diminished in 40-50 years to the extent that it will no longer be a factor in elections, jobs etc. If Brahmins are the highest and best caste, let everyone become Brahmins! And if everyone is a Brahmin, then no one is. :-)
No body should be made anything !

Neither brahmin is superior nor shudra is inferior and no one is outcaste ~ PERIOD

Last edited:
No body should be made anything !

Neither brahmin is superior nor shudra is inferior and no one is outcaste ~ PERIOD

Yes. But then, why has the offcial Government terminology classify a few as Forward Castes and a few as Backward Castes? Are they on the basis of economic indicators? Or are they on the basis of social stratification?

Moreover, will anyone agree if I say I have no caste? That's not what one can say while applying for a Government seat in College, or a Government Office for a job, or while deciding to vote for a candidate in an Election, even one as big as Lok Sabha Polls. How do we come out of this?

Yes. But then, why has the offcial Government terminology classify a few as Forward Castes and a few as Backward Castes? Are they on the basis of economic indicators? Or are they on the basis of social stratification?

Moreover, will anyone agree if I say I have no caste? That's not what one can say while applying for a Government seat in College, or a Government Office for a job, or while deciding to vote for a candidate in an Election, even one as big as Lok Sabha Polls. How do we come out of this?

a)Backward quota is based on mandal commision .
b)Forward are all those who are NOT sc,st,obc
c) caste is not by choice .

Few solutions

1.Intercaste marraiges(incentives should be given).
2.Don't vote caste based parties .
3.Urbanization.
4.Creamy layer protection .
5.done

Last edited:
1.Intercaste marraiges(dolls should be given).
2.Don't vote caste based parties .
3.Urbanization.
4.Creamy layer protection .
5.done

But nobody can force anyone to do any of the above! Only the Government has legitimate right to force people to conform to some guidelines. What can the Government do in this? Let's see, how about the Government making it mandatory for it's citizens to have an Intercaste marriage? :azn:

I can think of one simple and immediate remedy to alleviate some injustices.Quotas and positive discrimination ought to be based on economic indicators alone, not caste indicators. This is after all, mere common sense. But will at least this be implemented in India? NO.

But nobody can force anyone to do any of the above! Only the Government has legitimate right to force people to conform to some guidelines. What can the Government do in this? Let's see, how about the Government making it mandatory for it's citizens to have an Intercaste marriage? :azn:

I can think of one simple and immediate remedy to alleviate some injustices.Quotas and positive discrimination ought to be based on economic indicators alone, not caste indicators. This is after all, mere common sense. But will at least this be implemented in India? NO.

So you approve of my idea :woot:

Back
Top Bottom