What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

I was wondering that too,probably being misguided by Pro UPA Bureucrats

If India succeeds in stalling talks, Modi will only be endorsing UPA’s very bad food procurement and economic policies.
As is well known and appreciated by now, India has taken yet another principled stand at the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Showing its deep concern for the welfare of the poor, India is threatening to defeat the universally agreed commitment to improving trade facilitation between countries.
No, this is not some banquet, but rather a mundane agreement that will increase the ease of doing business and lower prices for all the world’s consumers. What is this great Indian rope trick? That the WTO should allow India to pursue the Congress and Sonia Gandhi’s dream of the food security act. As shown in the table, this BJP-Indian stance has nothing to do with the food security act or the poor, and everything to do with the bad, bad growth-destroying and inflation-generating policies of the Congress.
Thus, the Narendra Modi-led BJP government is allowing itself to be captured by Congress-appointed bureaucrats — yet again. The first major capture was in the budget speech — universally disliked by all (including chuckle-chuckle, wink-wink, UPA politicians and bureaucrats).

A ‘principled’ Congress stance at the WTO? | The Indian Express

Hopefully better sense prevails. This stand is in nobody's interest

If India succeeds in stalling talks, Modi will only be endorsing UPA’s very bad food procurement and economic policies.
As is well known and appreciated by now, India has taken yet another principled stand at the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Showing its deep concern for the welfare of the poor, India is threatening to defeat the universally agreed commitment to improving trade facilitation between countries.
No, this is not some banquet, but rather a mundane agreement that will increase the ease of doing business and lower prices for all the world’s consumers. What is this great Indian rope trick? That the WTO should allow India to pursue the Congress and Sonia Gandhi’s dream of the food security act. As shown in the table, this BJP-Indian stance has nothing to do with the food security act or the poor, and everything to do with the bad, bad growth-destroying and inflation-generating policies of the Congress.
Thus, the Narendra Modi-led BJP government is allowing itself to be captured by Congress-appointed bureaucrats — yet again. The first major capture was in the budget speech — universally disliked by all (including chuckle-chuckle, wink-wink, UPA politicians and bureaucrats).

A ‘principled’ Congress stance at the WTO? | The Indian Express

Hopefully better sense prevails. This stand is in nobody's interest

Just as i thought,he is getting tricked into standing for this by Pro UPA Bureaucrats

Just as i thought,he is getting tricked into standing for this by Pro UPA Bureaucrats

Not being tricked I would think. This government is not as different from the UPA on economic policies than was assumed. Also, contrary to belief, not very brave on economic policies. May not see a major shift, more tweaking perhaps. Expect slow change, nothing dramatic, nothing big.(hopefully I will be proven wrong).

Not being tricked I would think. This government is not as different from the UPA on economic policies than was assumed. Also, contrary to belief, not very brave on economic policies. May not see a major shift, more tweaking perhaps. Expect slow change, nothing dramatic, nothing big.(hopefully I will be proven wrong).

Arun Jaitley is NOT an economist so he is just going to implement the policies thought up by the Babus.

Now if Dr. Subramaniyan Swamy was the FM one could have expeted far reaching reforms and policies.

Since Modi is new to the job as PM it would be foolish to rock the boat. the most logical thing would be to focus on Governance and that is what he is doing.

Maybe 1-2 years down the line when PM has settled into the job one can expect some serious changes.

But regardless, the stand in WTO and against GM trials are the right decisions.

Arun Jaitley is NOT an economist so he is just going to implement the policies thought up by the Babus.

Now if Dr. Subramaniyan Swamy was the FM one could have expeted far reaching reforms and policies.

Since Modi is new to the job as PM it would be foolish to rock the boat. the most logical thing would be to focus on Governance and that is what he is doing.

Maybe 1-2 years down the line when PM has settled into the job one can expect some serious changes.

He is not an economist but a very good administrator. In gujarat, he cut a lots of Non planned expenditure and reduced the government employees. He diverted the fund for development. In 12 years, he increased the planned expenditure to 60000 crore from 5000 crore. He made all PSUs profit making.

Last edited:
He is not an economist but a very good administrator. In gujarat, he cut a lots of Non planned expenditure and reduced the government number of employees. He diverted the fund for development. In 12 years, he increased the planned expenditure to 60000 crore from 5000 crore. He made all PSUs profit making.

Are you talking about Arun Jaitley ?

Job of PM of India is slightly more complicated than CM of Gujarat. Little chance of him doing Arun Jaitley's job.

Are you talking about Arun Jaitley ?

Job of PM of India is slightly more complicated than CM of Gujarat. Little chance of him doing Arun Jaitley's job.

I think that he will have more resources to accomplish his vision. He will build his team. It may take some time. After all has a rich experience of 13 years behind him. I am very hopeful. The good thing about this guy is that he can work relentlessly for his mission. He is a dedicated one and best one can have. I do not see the leader like him anywhere in world this time.

I think that he will have more resources to accomplish his vision. He will build his team. It may take some time. After all has a rich experience of 13 years behind him. I am very hopeful. The good thing about this guy is that he can work relentlessly for his mission. He is a dedicated one and best one can have. I do not see the leader like him anywhere in world this time.

Which is exactly what I said.

I wasn't talking about the WTO position, whatever issues we have is internal & must be resolved here not subject to international pressure. It is Arun Jaitley (Arun Shourie would have been my choice) who bothers me and I sense a lack of boldness in economic policy. Whether it is only because of Jaitley or whether Narendra Modi himself wants to tread cautiously, I believe a chance is being lost in the early days of the government. Any hard decisions now (on LPG subsidy etc) could have been thrown on the UPA's head as a price for their mismanagement. Will get harder to deal with these things later in the term. The FDI in defence along with Jaitley citing political acceptance as being a problem with doing more than 49% also smacks of timidness. Should have gone to 51%, that would have been a real game changer. As you said, we will have to wait & see if it changes but a chance is being wasted right now.

I wasn't talking about the WTO position, whatever issues we have is internal & must be resolved here not subject to international pressure. It is Arun Jaitley (Arun Shourie would have been my choice) who bothers me and I sense a lack of boldness in economic policy. Whether it is only because of Jaitley or whether Narendra Modi himself wants to tread cautiously, I believe a chance is being lost in the early days of the government. Any hard decisions now (on LPG subsidy etc) could have been thrown on the UPA's head as a price for their mismanagement. Will get harder to deal with these things later in the term. The FDI in defence along with Jaitley citing political acceptance as being a problem with doing more than 49% also smacks of timidness. Should have gone to 51%, that would have been a real game changer. As you said, we will have to wait & see if it changes but a chance is being wasted right now.

AJ was an political appointee and a political animal from the heart of Indian politics, delhi. Expect him to be timid and politically correct. National interest will come second to such people and sadly Indian politics (like any other democracy) is full of such people.

If FDI can go upto 51 % then why not 100 % ? It makes no sense to keep it at 51 and not 100. That too is just being poltically correct.

@Bang Galore @HariPrasad

May i know why you folks were expecting reforms in an interim budget ? It wasn't going to happen . Any reforms will happen in 2015 when BJP govt. will have a lot more room to Maneuver . Expect hard economic reforms to take place when things get politically quiet in around 2015

Back
Top Bottom