What's new

Indian, Pakistani weightlifters unite on and off Commonwealth podium

waz

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Two hulking weightlifters from opposite sides of the often tense India-Pakistan frontier shared the podium at the Commonwealth Games -- and then celebrated together to their favourite rapper.

The affinity between Pakistani gold medallist Nooh Dastgir Butt and India's Gurdeep Singh, who came third in the 109+ kg category in Birmingham on Wednesday, stands in stark contrast to the nuclear-armed neighbours' political rivalry.

Those tensions often spill into the sporting arena -- they only play each other at cricket in multi-nation events, despite it being by far the most popular sport in both countries.

The two weightlifters come from either side of Punjab, a state divided between the neighbours at Partition 75 years ago, and have a common language and culture.

They also share a love of the music of murdered Punjabi rapper Sidhu Moose Wala.

The two strongmen were born about 250 kilometres (155 miles) apart and according to the 26-year-old Singh first met in junior championships six years ago.

They "would share tips about diet. Conversing in Punjabi obviously helped our friendship", he told The Indian Express from Birmingham.

Commonwealth Games champion Butt, 24, described them as "very good friends".

"After the gold, I first congratulated Gurdeep and later we did a small celebration where we danced to Moose Wala's songs," he said.

Moose Wala, also known by his birth name Shubhdeep Singh Sidhu, was shot dead in his car in the Indian state of Punjab in May.

The 28-year-old was popular on both sides of the border and among Punjabi communities abroad, especially in Canada and Britain, with his death sparking anger and outrage among fans across the world.

Butt, born into a family of wrestlers, said that he also enjoyed support from across the border.

"I have more fans from India than Pakistan in the weightlifting community," he said. "The kind of love India has given me, no other country has given me."

His father Ghulam Dastgir Butt, a 16-time Pakistan national champion wrestler, added: "I get surprised when people talk that India and Pakistan are born enemies.

"The amount of love and respect India has given to me, we also love Indian players and Hindustan the same," The Indian Express quoted him as saying.

1659791987503.png

1659792032189.png

While Nooh is friends with most of the Indian wrestling team, he has bonded best with fellow Punjabis Vikas Thakur and Gurdeep Singh Dullet.​

Two hulking weightlifters from opposite sides of the often tense India-Pakistan frontier shared the podium at the Commonwealth Games -- and then celebrated together to their favourite rapper.

The affinity between Pakistani gold medallist Nooh Dastgir Butt and India's Gurdeep Singh, who came third in the 109+ kg category in Birmingham on Wednesday, stands in stark contrast to the nuclear-armed neighbours' political rivalry.

Those tensions often spill into the sporting arena -- they only play each other at cricket in multi-nation events, despite it being by far the most popular sport in both countries.

The two weightlifters come from either side of Punjab, a state divided between the neighbours at Partition 75 years ago, and have a common language and culture.

They also share a love of the music of murdered Punjabi rapper Sidhu Moose Wala.

The two strongmen were born about 250 kilometres (155 miles) apart and according to the 26-year-old Singh first met in junior championships six years ago.

They "would share tips about diet. Conversing in Punjabi obviously helped our friendship", he told The Indian Express from Birmingham.

"After the gold, I first congratulated Gurdeep and later we did a small celebration where we danced to Moose Wala's songs," he said.

Moose Wala, also known by his birth name Shubhdeep Singh Sidhu, was shot dead in his car in the Indian state of Punjab in May.

The 28-year-old was popular on both sides of the border and among Punjabi communities abroad, especially in Canada and Britain, with his death sparking anger and outrage among fans across the world.

Butt, born into a family of wrestlers, said that he also enjoyed support from across the border.

"I have more fans from India than Pakistan in the weightlifting community," he said. "The kind of love India has given me, no other country has given me."

His father Ghulam Dastgir Butt, a 16-time Pakistan national champion wrestler, added: "I get surprised when people talk that India and Pakistan are born enemies.

"The amount of love and respect India has given to me, we also love Indian players and Hindustan the same," The Indian Express quoted him as saying.

View attachment 868430

View attachment 868431

While Nooh is friends with most of the Indian wrestling team, he has bonded best with fellow Punjabis Vikas Thakur and Gurdeep Singh Dullet.​

Waz bhai, amid the unending rivalry, thank you for showcasing the sportsmanship spirit.

My heartiest congratulations to Mr Nooh and Mr Sing. I wish to see them compete against the best in the Olympics

CWG 2022: Look up to Mirabai Chanu for inspiration, reveals Pakistani weightlifter Nooh Dastgir Butt

One of the first people to offer her congratulations to Nooh Dastagir Butt after winning Pakistan's first gold medal at this year's Commonwealth Games was Indian superstar Mirabai Chanu.
CWG 2022: Look up to Mirabai Chanu for inspiration, reveals Pakistani weightlifter Nooh Dastgir Butt snt

Author

Team Newsable
New Delhi, First Published Aug 4, 2022, 3:26 PM IST
One of the first people to offer her congratulations to Muhammad Nooh Dastgir Butt after winning Pakistan's first gold medal at this year's Commonwealth Games was none other than Indian superstar Mirabai Chanu.
Olympic medalist Chanu has propelled herself to popularity and is not only a role model for weightlifters in India but also in the neighbouring country.

"It was such a proud moment for me when she congratulated me and praised my performance," Butt told PTI after winning the gold in the men's 109+kg category with a record lift of 405 kg.

The 24-year-old Pakistani shattered all the three Games records -- 173 in the snatch, 232 in clean and jerk and the aggregate. "We look up to Mirabai for inspiration. She has shown us that we from South Asian countries can also win an Olympic medal. We became so proud of her when she won the silver at the Tokyo Olympics," he said.
Gurdeep Singh won bronze in the same category, and Butt considers the Indian as one of his close friends. "We have been very good friends for the last seven-eight years. We have trained together abroad a few times. We are always in touch," Butt let everyone know the bonhomie he shares with his Indian counterparts.

For Butt, it was never an Indo-Pak battle but an individual challenge to surpass his best. "It was not that I was competing with an India lifter. I just wanted to give my best and win it here," he said of Gurdeep, who became the first Indian weightlifter to win a CWG medal in the plus-weight category.
CWG 2022: Look up to Mirabai Chanu for inspiration, reveals Pakistani weightlifter Nooh Dastgir Butt snt

Two visits to India and memories of a lifetime
Butt has been to India twice for international events. First was the Youth Commonwealth Championship in Pune back in 2015, and the following year was the South Asian Games in Guwahati.
"I've been to India two times, and the support I received each time is unforgettable. I long to go back to India again," he added.

"I think, mere Pakistan se jyada fans India mein hai (I think, I've more fans in India than back home)," he said in jest.
Amid the mounting cross-border tension between the neighbouring countries, the Pakistani contingent had arrived for the South Asian Games in Guwahati-Shillong in 2016, only to "feel themselves at home".
"But when I was in Guwahati, the hotel staff became like my extended family and were in tears when I left. Such was the connection in those 10-15 days. They never made me feel that I am from Pakistan or their enemy," the Pakistani weightlifter added.

It has been six years since that championship, and Butt wouldn't mind revisiting India. "Definitely, I look forward to visiting again. I never enjoyed any other competition like the way I did in India," he concluded.

Waz bhai, amid the unending rivalry, thank you for showcasing the sportsmanship spirit.

My heartiest congratulations to Mr Nooh and Mr Sing. I wish to see them compete against the best in the Olympics

Thank you for the post my friend and there have been similar sentiments in the wrestling.

@waz

Waz sb,

Thanks for posting this. Wonderful to see mutual respect and camaraderie among Indian and Pakistani athletes.

Regards

Congrats to both wrestlers and yeah Moose Wala was very popular amongst Pakistani Punjabis. My cousin used to love listening to him every time I sat in his car and I must confess I had listened to his songs many times at random places despite not knowing his name prior to his death.

Congrats to both wrestlers and yeah Moose Wala was very popular amongst Pakistani Punjabis. My cousin used to love listening to him every time I sat in his car and I must confess I had listened to his songs many times at random places despite not knowing his name prior to his death.

Listen to his 295 song, especially lyrics - you'll be become a fan

I genuinely didn't know much about Indian music scene before Sidhu,
I grew up on Attaulah, nfak from grandfather and father and than Abrar in 2000s,

Last edited:

View attachment 868430

View attachment 868431

Apparently his parents spent a lot of money to prepare him for this competition

So whatever medals Pak is getting is purely because of family or personal support and if you're from a lower middle class background it's very hard to be in the competition forget medals

Neither private sector or government is involved

Moosewala is a controversial topic.

We sikhs lost respect for him way back, he is not our representation.

If I can say, he's being made a hero by non sikhs/punjabis for politics.

Akal takht is our final authority, it's free speech n all and feel free to glorify him. Leave sikhs out of it, we don't want a part of him all lot can fantasize all you want.

Just dying does not make a hero or legend.

Moosewala is a controversial topic.

We sikhs lost respect for him way back, he is not our representation.

If I can say, he's being made a hero by non sikhs/punjabis for politics.

Akal takht is our final authority, it's free speech n all and feel free to glorify him. Leave sikhs out of it, we don't want a part of him all lot can fantasize all you want.

Just dying does not make a hero or legend.
Who cares about Sikhs owning him or not

I was talking about Pakistani Punjabis

I think after Harbhajan and Gurdas Mann, Moosewala gained the most popularity in Punjab of Pakistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom