What's new

Indian Navy to induct 24 Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft

chanikya

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
img_1196.jpg

New Delhi. The Indian Navy will acquire 12 more Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft in addition to the 12 Boeing P8-I already ordered or being ordered.

Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma told India Strategic in an interview that the Navy was satisfied with the progress of the first eight Indian P8-Is being built by Boeing under a 2009 order and that the second order for four more aircraft was being processed to be placed within the current fiscal ending March 2012.
The Government had cleared these 12 aircraft already as requested by the Navy, and at a later date, it was being planned to acquire 12 more LRMRs for offshore surveillance and protection of the Indian waters and interests, bringing the total to 24, he said.
The exact type of the 12 additional aircraft would be worked out later.
India has a large coastline exceeding 7500 km and several island territories and economic interests in both its east and west.
Notably, the Indian Navy has been using old, Soviet vintage maritime reconnaissance aircraft but after the 26/11 terror attacks on Mumbai from Pakistan, the Government cleared the first eight P8-Is within three months of the horror. Four more were cleared earlier in 2011.

..:: India Strategic ::. Indian Navy: Indian Navy to induct 24 Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft

No, the last batch of P-8I (arriving ~2020) will replace the last few Tu-142/IL-38 ( both have been upgraded to SD to last till around 2024).
There are plans for converting it into long range bomber...... I dont know, just heared it somewhere. Can u confirm it?

There are plans for converting it into long range bomber...... I dont know, just heared it somewhere. Can u confirm it?

Not too sure bout this. I'm pretty sure the all TU-142s are To be upgraded to SD standard for MP duties. I did hear there were plans t have a few modified to carry Bhramos missiles but this would probably be a secondary role to the standard MP duties the craft carry out.

it was old news..........but thankfully it acts perfectly as a reminder and also the pic is good,chanakya

No, the last batch of P-8I (arriving ~2020) will replace the last few Tu-142/IL-38 ( both have been upgraded to SD to last till around 2024).
Who said the last batch of P-8I will arrive close to 2020 ?? The 8 P8i ordered will be delivered by 2015, if a follow-on order for 4 more is placed then they will also be in serive by or before 2018.

Navy plans to induct 24 long-range surveillance aircraft - Indian Express

The Indian Navy will induct more than 24 maritime reconnaissance aircraft in the long run to provide round-the-clock surveillance over country's maritime zone.

We have already placed orders for 12 P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft from the US but in the long run, we would like to have a fleet of 24 such aircraft in our inventory, Navy officials said here.

The Navy signed a USD 2.1 billion deal with the US in January 2009 to procure eight LRMR aircraft and is processing a case for procuring four additional aircraft of the same make.

They said the aircraft to be ordered in the future will be procured through a fresh tender process and may not be from the same manufacturer which has supplied the P-8Is.

India's coastline exceeds 7,500 km, besides which there are Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep island territories and economic interests off the east and west coasts.

Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma had recently said that the first P-8I aircraft from the US was expected to join the force by early 2013 after its first successful test-flight in the US in September this year.

The Navy is also planning to procure six Medium range maritime reconnaissance aircraft for which it has issued a fresh tender.

I told you earlier that they are going to give a follow up order like the 6 C-130Js and I am sure that by 2015 they are going to order another 12 MPAs as well as 14-16 more C-130Js.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom