What's new

Indian Navy to get deadly MH-60R anti-submarine helicopters from the US next year

Vanguard One

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
According to sources this deal is being handled by the US Navy, which has asked Lockheed Martin to expedite the delivery process.

MH-60R-anti-submarine-helicopters.jpg

These helicopters are being acquired as they would replace the existing obsolete Sea King helicopters of the India Navy.

The process for acquiring 24 anti-submarine warfare helicopters for the Indian Navy from the US Company Lockheed Martin has started. An agreement for $905 million has been inked, and this does not include the weapons that will come with these helicopters. Confirming this to Financial Express Online, a senior officer said “This is the first step that is followed in government to government deals. The US administration has asked Lockheed Martin to execute the program.” “What has been announced today is just the cost of the helicopters minus the weapons and other systems,” the officer explained.

According to sources this deal is being handled by the US Navy, which has asked Lockheed Martin to expedite the delivery process. Three undelivered MH-60R helicopters from the US Navy’s inventory are being handed over to India which will be used for training the pilots and men who will and maintain them.

As was reported in 2019 the US State Department had put the value of the whole package at $ 2.6 billion which includes besides the helicopter, communication systems, weapons systems, eight anti-surface Hellfire Missiles which can be used to hit at ships, MK 54 Light weight Torpedoes, 50 cannons and precision rocket systems.

Role of these Helicopters

These helicopters are being acquired as they would replace the existing obsolete Sea King helicopters of the India Navy. These acquired from the UK in 1971 are supposed not only detect but to also engage with the Chinese and Pakistani warships and submarines which are lurking in the in the Indian Ocean region.

These are also designed to fire the Naval Strike Missile (NSM), which has been designed by Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace, based in Norway. This system can engage warships at a range of 185 kilometers.

During the US President Donald Trump’s visit the long awaited contract for 24 Sikorsky MH60-R Multi-Role helicopters for the Indian Navy was sealed in February. These helicopters will be coming to India through the Foreign Military sales (FMS) route and it is a government to government deal.

These helicopters are being bought under the ‘Buy (Global)’ Category and the delivery is going to start in 2021, and will play a critical role in the Indian Ocean where there is an increasing security threat with Chinese and Pakistan ships being sighted recently by the Indian Navy.

These will be integral to the Indian Navy’s modern destroyers and frigates and will be inducted onboard Delhi and Kolkatta class destroyers and the under-construction Project 15B destroyers.

Expert View

Says Commodore Anil Jai Singh (retd), Vice President Indian Maritime Foundation, These helicopters will help in bridging the widening capability gap in India’s undersea warfare preparedness. These are potent force multipliers and will play a critical role in Fleet Operation.”

According to Dan Spoor, Vice President, Sikorsky Maritime and Mission Systems, “When India gets these helicopters it will be the fourth country in the world. It will join Australia, Denmark and Saudi Arabia, to operate the MH-60R Romeo.”

https://www.financialexpress.com/de...ne-helicopters-from-the-us-next-year/1960088/

I love reading about these deals and finding out how badly India is being shafted. Let's see, 24 helicopters for $2.6 billion, meaning around $108 million per helicopter. Wiki lists the unit price of the helicopter at $42.9 million - so India's paying more than double.
Nice; not a French-level shafting but certainly a good shafting nonetheless. :usflag: gets its turn. One might even say a turboshafting *ba dum tiss*.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...illion-as-on-03-july-2020-120071800245_1.html

Oh no....how is halfmoon actual land doing? Recovered some market cap yet from the PMIK debacle of 2019?...90 bil went to 40 bil...kinda ouchie. Forget hard forex talk even.

I was reading in some other thread about your devolution into a troll. Guess it's true, thanks to @HalfMoon and others.

Oh and by the way also consider buying some balls for Mr. Modi with this money so that he can finally utter the word China let alone stand firm in Ladakh.

I was reading in some other thread about your devolution into a troll. Guess it's true, thanks to @HalfMoon and others.

Oh and by the way also consider buying some balls for Mr. Modi with this money so that he can finally utter the word China let alone stand firm in Ladakh.

OK...and you are whom exactly that I should care about troll vs non-troll classification? LOL.

There are people that hold my respect here (where it would mean something coming from them)

....rest are bunch of surf on the sea....if they aren't flotsam and jetsam.

Halfmoon in his ineptitude has thanked your post even lol....even though it is critical of him. There you have it, case in point.

I love reading about these deals and finding out how badly India is being shafted. Let's see, 24 helicopters for $2.6 billion, meaning around $108 million per helicopter. Wiki lists the unit price of the helicopter at $42.9 million - so India's paying more than double.
Nice; not a French-level shafting but certainly a good shafting nonetheless. :usflag: gets its turn. One might even say a turboshafting *ba dum tiss*.
India's military has a penchant for being ripped off in bright daylight. They even get ripped off by what little indigenous military items they procure. If I'm not mistaken, the IAF paid a unit price of 65 million dollars for the LCA Tejas (codename: "Flying Coffin"), which is flanker level prices (over 10 mill more expensive than the Su-30MKI).

One has to be really illetrate to be not be able to read the cost of the heli.. clearly mentioned in the OP above.

$905 million for 24 MH60 R choppers brings the per unit cost to little over $37 million per chopper.

:omghaha:
An Indiot accuses me of illiteracy? o_O

Btw, you might want to learn how to spell "illiterate" before you use it. ;)

Are you honestly stupid enough to think you'd get it for less than the US pays for it? Yeah, you're Indian, so you're certainly stupid enough.
It clearly says in the article the cost of the 24 chopper only is $ 905 million. So are you a fool or are you trying to fool others .. when you quoted a price $42 million per chopper from Wikipedia and then divided $2.6 billion(price of the entire deal which includes weapons , spares , training etc) with 24 ..to claim that India is paying $108 per chopper for the chopper themselves ?

With MH60 and P8 Indian ASW capacity technically will be the most advanced in Asia even ahead of Japan and SK

It clearly says in the article the cost of the 24 chopper only is $ 905 million. So are you a fool or are you trying to fool others .. when you quoted a price $42 million per chopper from Wikipedia and then divided $2.6 billion(price of the entire deal which includes weapons , spares , training etc) with 24 ..to claim that India is paying $108 per chopper for the chopper themselves ?

With MH60 and P8 Indian ASW capacity technically will be the most advanced in Asia even ahead of Japan and SK

OK...and you are whom exactly that I should care about troll vs non-troll classification? LOL.

There are people that hold my respect here (where it would mean something coming from them)

....rest are bunch of surf on the sea....if they aren't flotsam and jetsam.

Halfmoon in his ineptitude has thanked your post even lol....even though it is critical of him. There you have it, case in point.

Back
Top Bottom