What's new

Indian Muslim Lawmaker Assaulted and Beaten for Taking Oath in Hindi

IMO There is racism against UP bihari's everywhere and not only in Maharashtra. SMS are distributed in Punjab like Bihari bhajao Punjab bachao (kick Bihari's save Punjab) :P

In future there is more chance of increase in regionalism in India as there lot of regional imbalance. Some states like Gujarat are progressing very fast while in UP Bihar there is poverty with high birth rate.

Here in Punjab we are responsible, we got cheap labour, now lazy sons (Gabroo of Punjab) just dont wanna work, whereas now Punjabi farmers are offering wages up to Rs 2,000 for transplanting paddy in one acre, which is more than double the wages given last year (Thanks to Nitish Kumar, Bihar has come a long way in the last couple of years). Punjabis have made Biharis integral to Punjab's prosperity. It is wrong to treat them bad now.

But I agree one should learn the local language if he is going to stay there for 20 years. Bhaiya's here abuse locals alot in their native language, I studied in CBSE so I can catch what they are saying, it hurts !!!!

Maharastrians speak in Hindi because for them it very easy to learn. But i don't think in south the locals will talk in Hindi. My Marathi Friends who have settled in Hyd. have started speaking in Telugu..:)

That's exactly the point. The only place knowing the local vernacular helps is when you've got into a fight/accident and when a mob/cops are involved. Any place else (social or commercial), its not really a disadvantage.

With an increasingly mobile middle class Indian workforce, you cannot expect people to necessarily learn the local lingo wherever they go. If they do - great (it can only help) .... but if they do not, no problem. It should never be an issue of us vs them, and become grounds for separatism and violence.

I for one do not respond well to threats and force. Am sure most self-respecting Indians do not ..... especially in OUR OWN COUNTRY!

Oh and btw, I speak in Hindi to everyone down South, and after a bit of hand signalling and sign language and Hinglish thrown in, I get by pretty ok.

Have they told they want to kick non-marathi out of Mumbai & Pune ?

Which Mumbai have you been living in bro? Lungi hatao, pungi bajao? The recent anti-Bihar/UP violence and destruction?

Many of the taxi drivers & laborers work for Marathi's..;)

Which again is the point most make about this issue of jobs for the marathi manoos, etc. Most of the jobs done by migrant labour etc. are such which the marathi manoos turns his nose up at.

Do you know what happened to the building industry and labour-sensitive industry in general post the violence? Ask around amongst builder friends if you do not. Easy getting taxis? ;)

Kaam bhi nahi karne ka, aur jo kar rahe hain, unka jeena haraam karne ka.

I also voted for Congress...:) I stay next to Raj Thakeray.

Shhhhhhhh .....

Cheers, Doc

I am linguistically challenged.

Sue me.

Cheers, Doc

Its not about individuals but public figures ,a MLA is represetaive of his constituency.

If he doesnt understand the local lang, how he is going interact with the local people and understand their issues in the most natural way.Such situaltions are unusual ,not ideal and someting that neeeds to be addressed.

I request the moderators to change the title of this thread, such titles are deliberately trying to create a religious divide.
And incident occured due to the linguistic issues, and is highly condemnable and just shows how ridiculous the MNS are.

The constitution of India was accepted by different peoples with an implicit guarantee in mind, the guarantee that they will be allowed to live the way they were. Asking for more 'unity' just because YOU think that one language will cause better unity is just being simplistic. You are talking about altering cultures here, people will not want to forget what they received from their forefathers. You are manipulating the spirit of constitution when you say that I will go to some state and after getting elected to some body there by claiming to be a representative of people there, I will practice my culture in public and with public there. Not at least when you are representing people there.
Nobody claims to be a representative of the people...they get elected.The people of Maharashtra made the choice of electing this guy...knowing that he is a migrant from Lucknow and a hindi speaker.
So I am guessing that a vast majority of the marathis want better governance than a case for the marathi(language) cause....
It is their choice to have their elected reps speaking, legislating...farting in marathi....
but is the MNS trully a representative of the marathi people?
I am against an elective man getting beat-up for taking his oath in hindi, the national language of India.They could have protested...beating up a man of his stature shows the true colors of your maratha saviors.
I do not agree that Maratha nationalism is counter productive, nor was Tamil nationalism. The consolidation that Tamil nationalism caused is shown by the stability we see now here. Tamils needed to know that they are getting the respect they deserved. They do not want one soul to ask them to learn hindi to be an Indian. Their learning hindi is just a matter of convenience. And when the fears are finally gone we see the results.
Tamils have fought over statues,film stars and sheer bloated ego with the karnatkans...I don't support the karnatkans..and they are equally at fault...when you have an over-inflated cultural pride in you...you tend to pick up fights...
infact...who can forget the formation of Tamil separatists when rajiv gandhi ordered the IPKF into SL...!
you see the shiny side of regionalism ruby...it is counter-productive.

Like wise the maratha nationalism will settle down slowly. I agree that there have been excesses. But the support for the movement shows there is a real problem.
If you are ignoring these and demanding that all people be Indians and let their fellow Indians overwhelm their place and culture just because the constitution literally provides for that then you are asking too much, taking away the security that the constitution tries to give to its people.
i believe that the right of abu azmi to take his oath in his language is as valid as the MNS's demand for marathi to be the official state language...this raj thackrey has used his goons to force marathi on others...this I can confidently classify as being undemocratic.
would you be supporting MNS in that ,ruby?

A classic example by vsdoc is how parsis came to India and mingled with the culture here.
I support that.From what I have written above..I am sure you'd understand my point.

Its not about individuals but public figures ,a MLA is represetaive of his constituency.

If he doesnt understand the local lang, how he is going interact with the local people and understand their issues in the most natural way.Such situaltions are unusual ,not ideal and someting that neeeds to be addressed.

Bhai I am sure you have been to Mumbai. Have you come across ONE person who cannot or will not speak Hindi there? So where is the issue of not being able to converse with his constituents?

In the off chance that he does come across ONE such constituent who does not understand Hindi, I am sure he would have the services of a translator at hand for such a contingency.

I am a doctor. Studied in a National medical college ..... where we get patients from all over. But being a military hospital, some specialties we would need to visit the OPDs of the regional medical college (BJMC) in our city. For the hardcore marathi speaking patients from the interior areas, we would have translators (nurses, ward boys).

Not ideal ..... but a far sight easier than having to learn the language. Life is too short my friend, and there is a lot to be done. Kaam karo, paisa banao, ghar sambhalo, ya nayi zabaan seekho?

If I wanted to be a polyglot on the other hand, and made my living thence, things might have been different.

That said, do you honestly believe your own argument of his constituents not being able to communicate with him, or is it just an intellectual exercise to provide a palusible rebuttal?! :)

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
Oh and btw, I speak in Hindi to everyone down South, and after a bit of hand signalling and sign language and Hinglish thrown in, I get by pretty ok.

If you had stayed there for 20 years you would be speaking in their language.

Which Mumbai have you been living in bro? Lungi hatao, pungi bajao? The recent anti-Bihar/UP violence and destruction?

The place where i stayed not a Single Bihari (From the area) was touched when the problem started in Shivaji Park and the next day the same people who started the problems were buying Vegetables from Biharis.

Which again is the point most make about this issue of jobs for the marathi manoos, etc. Most of the jobs done by migrant labour etc. are such which the marathi manoos turns his nose up at.

MNS was talking about the Railway Jobs, etc. What he was saying is the railways had placed Maharashtra job ads in other states like U.P, Bihar but not in Maharashtra. And i don't think he was wrong there.

Do you know what happened to the building industry and labour-sensitive industry in general post the violence? Ask around amongst builder friends if you do not.

Building Industry labor consists of South Indians and most of the Bamboo work is done by Biharis. And they are skilled labours and they don't stay in the same place for more than 1 year. So there is no problem with these people.

Easy getting taxis? ;)

Ask the Taxi Driver who has the pay 250 Rs. per day for the Taxi.

Kaam bhi nahi karne ka, aur jo kar rahe hain, unka jeena haraam karne ka.

Everybody is blaming Biharis. There is a problem there not with the people but with their Government. They need to develop their own state.

Shravan I am sorry buddy but violence in the name of language and regional considerations in the framework of our country and its consitution is wrong and it is illegal, immoral, anti-national, and narrow minded and separatist in its leanings.

That is my stand on this whole issue ..... not as a Bihari residing in Maharashtra, but as an Indian.

I will speak to you as an Indian, but if you come at me as a Telugu-Maharashtrian, then I will perforce divert my efforts on more meaningful pursuits.

And no Shravan, I would not have learnt Telugu/Tamil/Kannada/Malyalam had I lived in any of these states for 20 years.

Cheers, Doc

Bhai I am sure you have been to Mumbai. Have you come across ONE person who cannot or will not speak Hindi there? So where is the issue of not being able to converse with his constituents?

In the off chance that he does come across ONE such constituent who does not understand Hindi, I am sure he would have the services of a translator at hand for such a contingency.

I am a doctor. Studied in a National medical college ..... where we get patients from all over. But being a military hospital, some specialties we would need to visit the OPDs of the regional medical college (BJMC) in our city. For the hardcore marathi speaking patients from the interior areas, we would have translators (nurses, ward boys).

Not ideal ..... but a far sight easier than having to learn the language. Life is too short my friend, and there is a lot to be done. Kaam karo, paisa banao, ghar sambhalo, ya nayi zabaan seekho?

If I wanted to be a polyglot on the other hand, and made my living thence, things might have been different.

That said, do you honestly believe your own argument of his constituents not being able to communicate with him, or is it just an intellectual exercise to provide a palusible rebuttal?! :)

Cheers, Doc

Doc,

Its not about just language like in Tamilnadu...its bigger political issue which Abu Azmi choose to play for his pity self interests instead of avoiding the controversy, ignoring how these things'll creat more ript bewteen UP/Biharis the people he thinks he represents and native marathis .

Abu Azmi knew it very well the kind of hupla it would create ,but he rather choose to wear UP/Bihari tag on his sleeves when as a politicans his actions should've been more positive that could've helped ease the tension.

Above all kinds of laws to protect civil rights and our ideology apart,the fact remains ,in Maharastra ,its the marathis who come first just like its case for other groups in their own respective home states ...so for practical purposes any attempts to undermine this fact only gonna end up in more clashes and social unrest... Its always the people who choose to live outside have to be extra cautious not displease the natives of that place...its a fact a life for most of us who become migratory birds leaving the own nest at some point of our lives.

Guys if you watched the news you can see that Azmi provoking the agitating MLA's by showing them his chappel..this started all the beatings...and he is playing a cheap trick of minority card...He did all these to get sympathy from the voters..He is nothing more than a Dirty politician...

That's the problem with you Hindi wallahs. You think that anybody who refuses t to speak your language is being "separatist".

Your all such a sissy insecure lot that you think you need to force a single language down the throats of 1 billion people in order to feel "unified" .

Grow up! India is a diverse country, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I am sorry for you friend King Julien.

I repeat .... there is no place in our country or our constitution for divisive politics ..... whether it be based on religion, language, region, sexual preference, caste, color, or gender.

There is definitely no place for violence and territorialism by Indians on Indians based on the above, and the whole weight of Law should bear down on perpetrators of such, whatever their motives or grievances may be. There is something called due process.

Who or what gave you the idea that I sided with the theatrics of Azmi? Have you even read my posts bhai? You may be crying for a lost friend/colleague .... but channelise your grief elsewhere. Standing up to wrong is not cowardice .... taking recourse to mob strength and numbers in your own den is. Learn to tell the difference.

This is not about northies vs marathis. This is not about Hindi vs other tongues. You are construing it as such. This is plain and simple regional separatism. Have you seen what a dog does, again and again, many times a day, to mark his territory? This is no different.

The same Indians / marathi manoos crying themselves hoarse about Biharis taking away their jobs, will at the drop of a hat in the blink of an eye shift base to the US in H1B visas should the opportunity present itself.

To take US jobs .... from Americans.

To take Australian jobs ..... from Aussies.

To take UK jobs ..... from the Brits.

All in the name of the global village, free market dynamics, ya da yada yada.

And God forbid the locals hit back in resentment.

Then its RACISM!

If Obama says "No to banglaore, Yes to Buffalo" its PROTECTIONISM!

But what are you doing to your own countrymen?

Is it ANY DIFFERENT?!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on guys like you. I am disgusted that we the educated present and future of our country speak in this manner.

IF YOU CANNOT RESPECT YOURSELVES, DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU.

Jai Hind.

Cheers, Doc

That's the problem with you Hindi wallahs. You think that anybody who refuses t to speak your language is being "separatist".

Your all such a sissy insecure lot that you think you need to force a single language down the throats of 1 billion people in order to feel "unified" .

Grow up! India is a diverse country, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Nobody is asking nobody to speak in Hindi infact people are being forced and threatened to speak in Marathi by issuing diktats, abu azmi was well within his rights to take the oath in Hindi. You speak in Marathi or Latin nobody cares a damn but what language I or anybody speaks in is not anybody's business

Back
Top Bottom