What's new

Indian Mujahideen modules: Darbhanga out, Kolkata in

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Mujahideen modules: Darbhanga out, Kolkata in - Rediff.com India News

Darbhanga was for long the operations command centre for Indian Mujahideen. But now, details have emerged about how Kolkata has been a preferred destination for the terror outfit.

Yasin Bhatkal’s interrogation gives a complete picture of the Kolkata module.

Bhatkal told the National Investigation Agency team that there are 8 modules in West Bengal, including a major one in Kolkata.

These modules have been in place since eight years now.

Barring an attack on the US consulate in 2002, which was carried out in the name of the Students Islamic Movement of India, these modules have not been activated for any other major terror strike.

When the IM began taking shape, they roped in Mohammad Jalaluddin to raise funds for the organisation. Jalaluddin, who hails from West Bengal, was arrested in Lucknow two years after he abducted a businessman named Partha Roy in 2007.

He told his interrogators that after the abduction, he left for Bangladesh where he met up with IM founder Amir Reza Khan.

‘I had contacts with the underworld and used their channels and routes to transport arms and ammunition to various parts of the country through Kolkata,’ he told the police.

NIA officials tell rediff.com that Kolkata is a logically suitable place for terror activities and till date there continues to be infiltration unabated from Bangladesh, which makes the job of the security agencies tough.

It has been noticed that most IM operatives have had a stint in Kolkata. They were extremely careful not to carry out any attacks in the city or other parts of Bengal since they did not want their cover to blow.

Moreover, the Kolkata module is extremely crucial for the IM. That’s because this module only supplies arms and ammunition, and also manages to pump in crores worth of fake currency.

Bhatkal, in fact, was once arrested in Kolkata in connection with a fake currency case and was let off since nobody knew about his importance.

During his interrogation, Bhatkal said that nearly 90 per cent of the fake currency was pumped in through the Malda in West Bengal.

Throwing more light on the pattern in which this module works, Bhatkal told NIA that they have outsourced operations across the state.

‘Each one works for the money and no questions are asked. We do not house any of the operatives coming in from Bangladesh or other countries in our safe houses of sleeper cells. We have chosen villages close to the border areas and outsourced the operation to some people over there,’ he said.

The NIA says that this is where the problem begins.

The person housing these operatives is paid Rs 5000 per operative. The persons who provide accommodation have no records in the police files, as they are not associated with any terror activity and hence are never on the radar.

Such operations are rampant in Malda, Murshidabad and Nadia, the NIA says.

What is even more worrying is that such a pattern has been in force since the last five years and none of the agencies even had a clue about the same.

In his duration, the IM would have ensured that at least 3,000 operatives would have infiltrated into India. The terrorists who have infiltrated are not only from the IM, but according to Yasin, also include cadres of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, HuJI and Hizbul Tahrir.

Further while explaining the Kolkata module, Bhatkal says that the new association with the Hizbul Tahrir has made it mandatory for them to get the Kolkata module functioning.

All these years, the operations were slow and the module was never used to launch major attacks. However, due to the proximity of this module to Bangladesh and the fact that the HT operates from there it becomes important to operationalise this module, he says.

The HT and the IM came together at the behest of the Lashkar in order to fight the cause of the Rohingya Muslims and the Bodhgaya blasts was one such example of this association.

Indian Mujahideen modules: Darbhanga out, Kolkata in - Rediff.com India News

Darbhanga was for long the operations command centre for Indian Mujahideen. But now, details have emerged about how Kolkata has been a preferred destination for the terror outfit.

Yasin Bhatkal’s interrogation gives a complete picture of the Kolkata module.

Bhatkal told the National Investigation Agency team that there are 8 modules in West Bengal, including a major one in Kolkata.

These modules have been in place since eight years now.

Barring an attack on the US consulate in 2002, which was carried out in the name of the Students Islamic Movement of India, these modules have not been activated for any other major terror strike.

When the IM began taking shape, they roped in Mohammad Jalaluddin to raise funds for the organisation. Jalaluddin, who hails from West Bengal, was arrested in Lucknow two years after he abducted a businessman named Partha Roy in 2007.

He told his interrogators that after the abduction, he left for Bangladesh where he met up with IM founder Amir Reza Khan.

‘I had contacts with the underworld and used their channels and routes to transport arms and ammunition to various parts of the country through Kolkata,’ he told the police.

NIA officials tell rediff.com that Kolkata is a logically suitable place for terror activities and till date there continues to be infiltration unabated from Bangladesh, which makes the job of the security agencies tough.

It has been noticed that most IM operatives have had a stint in Kolkata. They were extremely careful not to carry out any attacks in the city or other parts of Bengal since they did not want their cover to blow.

Moreover, the Kolkata module is extremely crucial for the IM. That’s because this module only supplies arms and ammunition, and also manages to pump in crores worth of fake currency.

Bhatkal, in fact, was once arrested in Kolkata in connection with a fake currency case and was let off since nobody knew about his importance.

During his interrogation, Bhatkal said that nearly 90 per cent of the fake currency was pumped in through the Malda in West Bengal.

Throwing more light on the pattern in which this module works, Bhatkal told NIA that they have outsourced operations across the state.

‘Each one works for the money and no questions are asked. We do not house any of the operatives coming in from Bangladesh or other countries in our safe houses of sleeper cells. We have chosen villages close to the border areas and outsourced the operation to some people over there,’ he said.

The NIA says that this is where the problem begins.

The person housing these operatives is paid Rs 5000 per operative. The persons who provide accommodation have no records in the police files, as they are not associated with any terror activity and hence are never on the radar.

Such operations are rampant in Malda, Murshidabad and Nadia, the NIA says.

What is even more worrying is that such a pattern has been in force since the last five years and none of the agencies even had a clue about the same.

In his duration, the IM would have ensured that at least 3,000 operatives would have infiltrated into India. The terrorists who have infiltrated are not only from the IM, but according to Yasin, also include cadres of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, HuJI and Hizbul Tahrir.

Further while explaining the Kolkata module, Bhatkal says that the new association with the Hizbul Tahrir has made it mandatory for them to get the Kolkata module functioning.

All these years, the operations were slow and the module was never used to launch major attacks. However, due to the proximity of this module to Bangladesh and the fact that the HT operates from there it becomes important to operationalise this module, he says.

The HT and the IM came together at the behest of the Lashkar in order to fight the cause of the Rohingya Muslims and the Bodhgaya blasts was one such example of this association.

I shall have to break my pattern and compose a short comment-

Expect more fireworks at the border with BD after this- either way the BSF will get a freer hand.
@Skull and Bones @kurup @Abingdonboy @arp2041 @Ayush @DRAY @Aka123 @kaykay @S-DUCT @confound thinker @Anonymous @Guynextdoor2 @SURYA-1 @hinduguy

An insight into the logistical and funding pipelines of terror in India.

Last edited by a moderator:

Expect more fireworks at the border with BD after this- either way the BSF will get a freer hand.
@Skull and Bones @kurup @Abingdonboy @arp2041 @Ayush @DRAY @Aka123 @kaykay @S-DUCT @confound thinker @Anonymous @Guynextdoor2 @SURYA-1 @hinduguy

I dont believe majority of bangladeshis that sneak in or die on border are terrorist, or even any way related.

I dont believe majority of bangladeshis that sneak in or die on border are terrorist, or even any way related.

Obviously they are not, deterring them en block through force is an inefficient measure in terms of target termination percentage but it is a tool in the tool box and will remain one of the few viable methods till the day we are able to differentiate a run of the mill fence-hopper in the dark from a terrorist.

BSF harasses or shoots down only those trespassers who doesn't bribe them. Didi ji needs votes so the appeasement .Indians have been fooked up since centuries not without a reason, they deserve it.
@Dillinger , you belong to both Bihar and WB, what are your observations ??

Obviously they are not, deterring them en block through force is an inefficient measure in terms of target termination percentage but it is a tool in the tool box and will remain one of the few viable methods till the day we are able to differentiate a run of the mill fence-hopper in the dark from a terrorist.

Be it terrorist or anonymous intruder, needs to be shot down while intruding or hunted down after intruding.

We are alread overburdened with new FSB , don't want any more mouth to feed.

Demographic alterations result in unwanted strife in societ , as evident during Assam riots.

These seemingly unharmful intruders becomes bold over the time and participate in anti-social events.

We really need proper fencing on BD border also. Illegal settlers, smugglers, criminals & dacoits were always a major problem on BD border, now with the growing influence of Wahabism there, cross-border terrorism is increasing. And due to almost open borders in some places, BD border has become a convenient entry point for terrorists.
BD Govt. is not interested to do much about this; we have to solve this ourselves.

No they are not. But even if .01% of their population can be brainwashed effectively, then that would be really bad news for us. So it is wise to take necessary precautions. And not only that, BD border has become a favorite entry point for foreign terrorists also.

We really need proper fencing on BD border also. Illegal settlers, smugglers, criminals & dacoits were always a major problem on BD border, now with the growing influence of Wahabism there, cross-border terrorism is increasing. And due to almost open borders in some places, BD border has become a convenient entry point for terrorists.
BD Govt. is not interested to do much about this; we have to solve this ourselves.

No they are not. But even if .01% of their population can be brainwashed effectively, then that would be really bad news for us. So it is wise to take necessary precautions. And not only that, BD border has become a favorite entry point for foreign terrorists also.

its all unwanted scaremongering ... not a single bd guy has been caught doing terrorism.. I am sure there might be one or two.. but they are vastly outnumbered by Indian born terrorists...
We are focussing at places where we have got no problem...

Bro, I'm not at all clued up on the internal security issues facing India so there's little I can add unfortunately.

However, where has this seemingly new-found anti-terror policy of the GoI come from? The Goi seems to have just ramped things up substantially on this front in the past few months. Here's hoping this push continues and that the next GoI continues this, if not steps it up even further.

its all unwanted scaremongering ... not a single bd guy has been caught doing terrorism.. I am sure there might be one or two.. but they are vastly outnumbered by Indian born terrorists...
We are focussing at places where we have got no problem...

Yaara I think you're misconstruing some of the things mentioned in the article- the terrorists are banking on the smuggling and underworld networks that extend between India and BD. You don't have to be a "I'll place a bomb and blow people up" gook to be part of the logistical setup for the terrorists, greed does just fine. After all even the organised crime sector in India is hip deep into providing financial and logistical services to these folks, when they launder funds through hawala who is it that you think renders that service.

If there is an inter-national smuggling channel up and running then it is an ideal route to source funds and weapons in to the country.

Every one would agree that foolproof fencing of the border is a must.

But now an interesting and new need has also arisen for this-"Criminals in India easily escaping into bangladesh also.
Last month when the Mumbai gang rape happened ,one of the five culprits who was caught last ,was caught from his relatives house in U.P.On Interrogation he apparently told police officials that his plan was to move from UP to Bihar and then finally escape into bangladesh.

This is a new thing since till now we have only been hearing shiv sena and mns complaining of illigal bangladeshi migrants(along with Biharis and UP people) who are supposedly responsible for all the crimes of Mumbai and Maharashtra.

Every one would agree that foolproof fencing of the border is a must.

But now an interesting and new need has also arisen for this-"Criminals in India easily escaping into bangladesh also.
Last month when the Mumbai gang rape happened ,one of the five culprits who was caught last ,was caught from his relatives house in U.P.On Interrogation he apparently told police officials that his plan was to move from UP to Bihar and then finally escape into bangladesh.

This is a new thing since till now we have only been hearing shiv sena and mns complaining of illigal bangladeshi migrants(along with Biharis and UP people) who are supposedly responsible for all the crimes of Mumbai and Maharashtra.

I think it was Nepal, where he wanted to take cover.Any link pointing towards BD ??

some members are confused I think,as new routes via which terrorists entering into india isn't Bangladesh(which is heavily guarded),but Nepal..no fence,not much of patrolling..happy journey for terrorists...

I think it was Nepal, where he wanted to take cover.Any link pointing towards BD ??

here it is: it seems that he was arrested from delhi haryana border

Mumbai gangrape case cracked, Crime Branch arrests fifth accused
Mumbai gang rape: Rapist planned to flee Bangladesh | Deccan Chronicle
Mumbai gang rape: Rapist planned to flee Bangladesh | The Asian Age

Yes,you are right earlier it used to be Nepal mostly but now Bangladesh has started becoming a lucrative safe heaven for these criminals

Back
Top Bottom