What's new

Indian MoD awards $106 million contract for 1,86,138 bulletproof jackets for the Indian Army to Smpp

That it's heavier which, in reality, is not the case.

Well, it depends on the manufacturer.

But usually it is.
The IA RFI to which TATA was participating infact had the MOLLE heavier, refer to the picture above.

Well, it depends on the manufacturer.

But usually it is.
The IA RFI to which TATA was participating infact had the MOLLE heavier, refer to the picture above.

Do you know what MOLLE is, just asking.

Well its not really rocket science.

What I meant by heavier was sewn in fixed pouches would be lighter than molle pouches and other molle gears afixed on pals.

Ok and how much heavier may I ask??

http://inspiringindians.com/2017/06...-helps-india-save-rs-20000-crores-every-year/

Inspiring Heroes - Indian Scientist Develops Ultra-Modern Light Weight Bullet Proof Jacket, Helps India save Rs. 20,000 Crores every year

A bullet-proof jacket designed by Indian scientist and Professor Shantanu Bhowmik has been finally approved by Indian Government and Indian Army will soon start using this ultra-modern bullet proof jacket designed by Mr. Shantanu.

shantanu-bhowmik-bullet-proof-jackets-helmets-for-indian-army.jpg

The bullet proof jacket is made from indigenous ultra modern lightweight thermoplastic technology. This is after 70 long years that Indian Army will be using bullet proof jackets manufactured through indigenous technology. This jacket will be manufactured through a joint collaboration between DRDO and Ministry of Defence. The manufacturing of the bullet proof jacket will be included in the Prime Minister’s flagship “Make In India” project. The manufacturing of this ultra-modern bullet proof jacket will start as soon as it gets the green light from Prime Minister’s office.

Currently, Indian Army is using imported Bullet Proof Jackets to protect themselves. These jackets are not only too costly but also weigh more than the designed bulletproof jacket. The imported jackets cost Rs. 1.50 lakhs per jacket to the States exchequer but the new jacket will cost only Rs. 50,000/jacket. This will save one-third of the money spent on buying bullet proof jacket giving the government a window to use the saved funds for the betterment of the Army. The new jacket designed by Prof. Shantanu will help India save about Rs. 20,000 crores every year.

vests.jpg

The present bullet proof jackets are being used by Indian jawans in the BSF, Police, Army, CRPF is too heavy making it difficult for the jawans to move around swiftly. The weight of the jackets is anywhere between 15-18 kgs. The new jackets that use indigenous technology would weigh only 1.5 kgs, bringing the weight of a bullet proof jacket by about 6-8 times. The best feature of this jacket is that it will have 20 layers and also the carbon fiber present in the jacket will ensure that the jacket can resist the heat up to 57-degree Celsius.

The brain behind this ultra-modern jacket, Mr. Shantanu Bhowmik is currently serving as the departmental head of aerospace engineering in Coimbatore’s Amrita University. He is delighted that his invention has been approved by Indian Government and has high hopes for his new invention. He hopes the jacket will serve the purpose they are designed for and will be helpful both to the Government and the jawans.

According to Times Of India, Prof. Shantanu thanked former Deputy Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen Subrata Saha who had taken the initiative and constantly encouraged him in designing the ultra modern light weight bullet proof jackets. The delighted professor dedicated his work to Netaji Subash Chandra Bose.

We always keep cribbing about the fact that Indians are way behind in Research and Development field and Indians will never be able to match with their counterparts from foreign countries, especially the USA. But this innovation of Mr. Shantanu has put an end to that debate at least for now. The new jacket designed by Professor is not only best in the business but also leaves the jackets manufactured in the USA far behind when it comes to quality, weight and cost of the jacket. Indians have always been at the forefront of innovating cost effective items that the country is in dire need of and this innovation is just another example of the hidden abilities of Indians.

https://swarajyamag.com/current-aff...ource=one-signal&utm_medium=push-notification

Army To Get Bullet-Proof Jackets After Nine-Year Wait; Bengal Panchayat Polls: Nomination Deadline Extended; Swiss Firm Denies Bidding For AI

GettyImages_932517890.jpg

Army To Get 1.86 Lakh Bullet Proof Jackets After Nine-Year Wait

The Defence Ministry has signed a contract with for procurement of 1.86 lakh bullet-proof jackets (BPJs) for the Army at the cost of Rs 639 crore. The agreement comes nine years after the Army first made a request for the BPJs. The government had accepted an Army requirement for 1.86 lakh BJPs in 2009. In October 2015, the government scrapped a tender for BJPs as six vendors failed to clear field trials. In March 2016, the Army signed on for 50,000 BPJs worth Rs 140 crores as part of an interim emergency purchase to deal with shortage.

Army’s requirement for around 3.5 lakh new BPJs has been hanging fire for almost a decade now. Soldiers have been using old bulky ones that provide poor protection. The deal for 1.86 lakh jackets, bagged by an Indian firm, is a significant boost for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Make in India initiative.

Refer to the pic I posted.

Both the TATA made BPJs have the same level-IIISP protection but the difference in weight is much too apparent.

So you really think that the mere addition of a few strips of fabric on top of the outer cover can increase the weight by such margin??!!BRAVO!!

So you really think that the mere addition of a few strips of fabric on top of the outer cover can increase the weight by such margin??!!BRAVO!!

It doesn't matter what I think, the proof is already there for us to see, I already refered you to the pic.

The pals are actually quite heavy duty.

Besides why would the army deliverdelib not use modern more modular jacket if they weren't heavy or suuted Indian conditions when local manufacturers already make molle type bpjs.

It doesn't matter what I think,
Actually, it does!!It does show how big of an imbecile one really is!!
the proof is already there for us to see, I already refered you to the pic.
That picture doesn't prove diddly squat as it doesn't give us any info about what kind of inserts were used in each system!!
The pals are actually quite heavy duty.
Yeah, okay pal, they are made out of Osmium, lolzz!!
Besides why would the army deliverdelib not use modern more modular jacket if they weren't heavy or suuted Indian conditions when local manufacturers already make molle type bpjs.
The same reason why they kept rejecting the a plethora of homegrown designs over imported ones of lower quality!!The same reason why people used to believe that sun and everything else was revolving around the Earth even at the presence of evidence pointing to the contrary!!The same reason why many people still believes in faith healing, gods, homeopathy and shit!!The same reason why people keep rejecting evolution!!Because people are idiot, which is especially true for us Indians.
560715-28ph-2017-03-28t113825z850062956rc1c991145b0rtrmadp3india-kashmir.jpg

india-01st-apr-2017-indian-army-soldiers-stand-near-the-damaged-vehicle-HY7624.jpg

SOLDIERS-INDIA-PAKISTAN-CONFLICTS-KASHMIR-AFP_280317.jpg

Oh and lookie here - apparently they had no problem with tac vests with molle webbings but when it comes to plate carriers, it becomes off limits as somehow they jack up the weight by a ton, makes perfect sense, right??

Last edited:
I had read that the best and lightest bulletproof vests are made in South America. Wonder if someone can shed light on that.

Actually, it does!!It does show how big of an imbecile one really is!!

Maybe it does to you, as it seems you were looking for a reason to make an ad hominemesque comment 3 comments ago.

That picture doesn't prove diddly squat as it doesn't give us any info about what kind of inserts were used in each system!!

Both BPJs provide the same level of protection, so common sense would dictate that both are using the same hap, but sure, I'll indulge you.

The TATA made level III HAP.
0GEvGo0.jpg

The same reason why they kept rejecting the a plethora of homegrown designs over imported ones of lower quality!!The same reason why people used to believe that sun and everything else was revolving around the Earth even at the presence of evidence pointing to the contrary!!The same reason why many people still believes in faith healing, gods, homeopathy and shit!!The same reason why people keep rejecting evolution!!Because people are idiot, which is especially true for us Indians.

That is a lot of generalisation.

I understand our DPP sucks but that doesn't mean it always sucks.

And since we are critiquing lets do it in the correct fashion and measure every situation separately and precisely rather than pointing to the ether and screaming, "they sucked then so they must suck now".

We tend to measure ourselves on western standards when we shouldn't.
Our men operate on higher altitudes on a difficult almost continuously mountainous terrain, dotted with dense jungles.
Unlike NATO forces Indian and Pakistani armies are not operating on flat plains which allows for the generous use of AFVs and heavily kitted up soldiers.

I am sure you'd like to think everyone including professional warfighters are idiots but lets give IA the benefit of the doubt as they chose a certain type of local bpj when they could have just as easily chosen a local molle type bpj, and also the more obvious reason being they know more than you or I.

View attachment 465360
Oh and lookie here - apparently they had no problem with tac vests with molle webbings but when it comes to plate carriers, it becomes off limits as somehow they jack up the weight by a ton, makes perfect sense, right??

Molle is a term used very interchangeably for different types of vests, molle pouches etc.
The webbing you are referring to are called pals, hence you are fallaciously conflating two separate issues.

What I am talking about is the molle bpj as a whole that is built around the TAP.

Also, let's not judge situations and army units all in the same light. Every thing is not black or white.
Most officers have bigger and heavier bpjs also some units have it, doesn't mean its a fit for every single soldier.

As for jacking up the weight.
I don't understand why it is so hard for you to accept real world facts.
I already showed you that the local molle bpjs are infact heavier.
No amount of you showing incredulity will change that.

Last edited:
Maybe it does to you,
No, it does to pretty much everyone there is and has ever been!!How else you would judge a person if not by his opinions??!!
as it seems you were looking for a reason to make an ad hominemesque comment 3 comments ago.
What ad hominem??I just called you out on your rather preposterous claim that some strips of fabrics can actually affect the weight of anything by any significant margin!!What else did you expect to get for making such outlandish claims??!!

Both BPJs provide the same level of protection, so common sense would dictate that both are using the same hap,
That's kinda ignorant to be honest.
but sure, I'll indulge you.
Sure, please.
The TATA made level III HAP.
0GEvGo0.jpg
It still proves nothing!!How do we know both the systems had the same inserts??And in any case, the one with the molle webbing attached was a lot bulkier and it did come with more provisions for armor inserts especially on the neck and shoulder and side torso regions where as the lighter one lacked them!!and this is more than likely what contributed to the increased weight of the said body armor and definitely certainly not the addition of a few strips of cloths!!But don't listen to me, don't listen to reason, just keep saying la-la-la and believing in what you must and making a total *** of yourself.

That is a lot of generalisation.
Nope,rather some honest and factual observations!!
I understand our DPP sucks but that doesn't mean it always sucks.
Well, most of the time it does but anyway, at least we agree on something, well sort of.
And since we are critiquing lets do it in the correct fashion and measure every situation separately and precisely rather than pointing to the ether and screaming, "they sucked then so they must suck now".
And when did I made any such assertions??Do you even think before you write a comment??!!
We tend to measure ourselves on western standards when we shouldn't.
Why not??They are at the pinnacle of technological edge and have been since, I don't know...........FOREVER may be!!
Our men operate on higher altitudes on a difficult almost continuously mountainous terrain, dotted with dense jungles.
Unlike NATO forces Indian and Pakistani armies are not operating on flat plains which allows for the generous use of AFVs and heavily kitted up soldiers.
Yeah and meanwhile even the Pakistanis and Chinese have now begun to adopt integrated vests with molle webbing!!Guess they are fools as well to adopt the western techniques??Or may be it's the people like you who are making a total *** of yourselves trying to defend which is logically indefensible!!No matter which way you look at it from, molle type webbings are a lot better than older fixed pouches as the former provides a lot more flexibility and customization options as they let one configure your loadout as per the type of mission needs one to do, without adding any significant amount of weight.No wonder most armies across the globe are making the transition towards pals webbings, but of course, you just cling on to your stupid beliefs.Just do not conceive such outlandish claims to justify them, thank you.
I am sure you'd like to think everyone including professional warfighters are idiots
Everyone are including the greatest of the minds are idiots to a varying degree and sorry to say this but your so called 'professional warfighters' ain't exactly the brightest of the lamps on the posts, so to speak!!Their job demands them to be the best trained, not the best educated nor the wittiest!!Do keep in mind that these folks are taught (more like brainwashed, catch them young remember?) to obey commands without questions.Here, obedience and loyalty are considered to be absolute necessity but wit and freethinking, not so much.
but lets give IA the benefit of the doubt as they chose a certain type of local bpj when they could have just as easily chosen a local molle type bpj,
To the very same bunch of...........well, folks, who deliberately picked an inferior tank over a homegrown one which was superior in almost every category??!!Please pardon me if I do not share your optimism or faith.
and also the more obvious reason being they know more than you or I.
Do they now??Well, I certainly hope as such.
Molle is a term used very interchangeably for different types of vests, molle pouches etc.
And your point being??You think I did not know that already??
The webbing you are referring to are called pals, hence you are fallaciously conflating two separate issues.
Oh gimme a break, will ya??Conflating separate issues my black ***!!Weren't you just lecturing me on the above sentence how it's a rather vague term which is often used interchangeably??So what happened??Why are you backtracking on your own claims now??I'll tell you why - because you know how royally you fucked up and as of now, you are merely trying to save face by hiding behind your semantics and dribbling your fancy wording but it ain't fooling no one kiddo.
Besides, I've always referred to it as either 'Molle webbing' or 'strips of fabric stitched onto the outer cover' , which should have made it aptly clear to anyone possessing even one tenth of a brain, as to what I intended to mean by that term!!But you knew that already, didn't you??
What I am talking about is the molle bpj as a whole that is built around the TAP.
Yet there were no additional pouches attached to that vest, so why do you think it was heavier even at the absence of those pouches??And please don't repeat your crap theory of those pals ladders accounting for the increased weight.
Also, let's not judge situations and army units all in the same light. Every thing is not black or white.
Oh no, it's saffron and green.
Most officers have bigger and heavier bpjs also some units have it, doesn't mean its a fit for every single soldier.
Irrelevant.
As for jacking up the weight.
Yes, as for jacking up the weight, let's hear from you.
I don't understand why it is so hard for you to accept real world facts.
Oh I don't know, may be because I've a brain (certainly not the most functional one, in fact one of the least fuctional one at that but still there is one inside my cranium, which doesn't seem to be in your case), may be because I like to look at things more objectively and dispassionately, may be because I tend to judge everything with logic and reason or may be, just may be, what you said was nothing more than a figment of your imagination, emanating from your apparent lack of basic comprehension skills??!!Who knows??
I already showed you that the local molle bpjs are infact heavier.
Yes but that doesn't mean it's those pals ladders (or molle webbings, take your pick) which are making it heavier.Just use your brain!!How can a few strips of fabrics (no matter how sturdy or 'heavy duty' they may be) jack up the overall weight by any significant margin??It just doesn't make any sense, unless those strips are made out of some super heavy material (hence my Osmium reference), but why would anyone do that??
No amount of you showing incredulity will change that.
Yeah yeah, whatever rocks your boat, man.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom