What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

Does anyone know the reload time for an Akash launcher? The internet says it is about 12 minutes for a Buk system, so I'm guessing it would be pretty similar. I'm asking because in the case of a saturation attack (like operation Chengiz Khan), 3-4 launchers at an air force station, would be depleted quite quickly. Especially if they fire two missiles per target, which I believe is the SOP for Akash.
8mins for reloading 3 Missiles, Clearing re-loader, connection of barrel lugs for launch initiator, Reload time for one single missile is approx- 3mins.

Increasing missile output to be major thrust: DRDO chief
SOURCE: TNN

Missiles.JPG

Among the various issues faced by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), one is to increase the ‘production rate of missiles’ and it will now be one of the main thrust areas.

Dr S Christopher, secretary, department of defence research and development-cum-director general, said that with respect to various varieties of missiles, the focus would be on both – the quantity as well as quality for all the variants. Currently, the production rate is just about 20% of the potential which, he insisted, has to be harnessed to full. The DRDO is now emphasising on exports, patents and spin-offs.

Dr Christopher was here for the 23rd Professor Daulat Singh Kothari memorial lecture at the Defence Laboratory, Jodhpur. He is the man credited for building the indigenous airborne early warning & control system .

Talking about the involvement of more than one company for reaching the target production of missiles, he said that a lot of confusion in the past could be attributed to the lack of clarity in wordings of contracts. “We should now engage multiple agencies and timeframes should be clearly spelled out,” he said.

Regarding invitation of proposals by the army from domestic and foreign firms for manufacturing ‘future ready combat vehicle’ (FRCV) tanks, he said, “The world is becoming increasingly competitive. There is nothing wrong in it. We take it up as a challenge. There is enough for all provided we prove ourselves.”

It may be mentioned here that DRDO, having proven its mettle with Arjun main battle tank, is also developing future main battle tank (FMBT).

Dr Christopher said that India being one of the four countries in the world mastering in AWACS (airborne warning and control system) can now even think of exporting the same and stands a good chance due to its cost effectiveness. “Right now, we are developing three such systems of which two shall be given to Indian Air Force and one shall be retained by the DRDO possibly for export purpose. In fact, what we are giving for $110 million has been bought at more than double the rate by our neighbouring country,” he said adding that the AEW&C system is designed to detect, identify and classify threats present in the surveillance area and act as a force multiplier in air operations.

WTF !!! Why is the DRDO head talking about PRODUCTION ?

That is not his Bloody Job.His job is Newer and more Lethal scientific inventions and discoveries.

This Chief is going to be a WASTE. :tdown:

First stage separation

1 Minute 30 seconds into the flight,the first stage separates,second stage ignites.

Friends, why we don't have an in-house R&D program on wvr missiles like python5. At least history says wvr have made most of the aerial kill in jet age.

We already devoloped an imaging infrared seeker for NAG missile,so I think making a decent wvr missile won't be a herculean task for DRDO.

Friends, why we don't have an in-house R&D program on wvr missiles like python5. At least history says wvr have made most of the aerial kill in jet age.

We already devoloped an imaging infrared seeker for NAG missile,so I think making a decent wvr missile won't be a herculean task for DRDO.
I think placing a IIR in place of Ku band seeker in Astra AAM will do the trick ..............though they are working on missile like meteor
More details of the SFDR missile (desi Meteor/R-77M-PD/RVV-AE-PD) being developed at DRDL from the tender for Manufacturing And Supply Of Ground Launcher.

1. SFDR is an Air to Air class of missile working on booster-ram jet sustainer propulsion system.
2. It is a technology demonstration vehicle to prove various technologies like: controlled ram jet propulsion system, chin mounted air intakes, nozzle less booster and boron based propellant with high burn rate.
3. The base line design for the SFDR vehicle is ASTRA missile.
4. The missile is required to be launched from pylon of the wing of aircraft which is underslung.

aUlHatH.png

J1sBt5r.png

SFDR stands for solid fuel ducted ramjet

Source: DRDO issues tenders for Manufacturing of SFDR Ground Launcher

I think placing a IIR in place of Ku band seeker in Astra AAM will do the trick ..............though they are working on missile like meteor
More details of the SFDR missile (desi Meteor/R-77M-PD/RVV-AE-PD) being developed at DRDL from the tender for Manufacturing And Supply Of Ground Launcher.

1. SFDR is an Air to Air class of missile working on booster-ram jet sustainer propulsion system.
2. It is a technology demonstration vehicle to prove various technologies like: controlled ram jet propulsion system, chin mounted air intakes, nozzle less booster and boron based propellant with high burn rate.
3. The base line design for the SFDR vehicle is ASTRA missile.
4. The missile is required to be launched from pylon of the wing of aircraft which is underslung.

aUlHatH.png

J1sBt5r.png

SFDR stands for solid fuel ducted ramjet

Source: DRDO issues tenders for Manufacturing of SFDR Ground Launcher
For short range wvr missiles need very high agility, able to pull nearly 80 to 100 g limit. If my memmory is correct Astra's airframe is capable of doing only 40g. We managed to design propulsion for barak missiles,so making a new highly agile short range missiles is not that much difficult.

For short range wvr missiles need very high agility, able to pull nearly 80 to 100 g limit. If my memmory is correct Astra's airframe is capable of doing only 40g. We managed to design propulsion for barak missiles,so making a new highly agile short range missiles is not that much difficult.
80-100 g is a bit too much. Aim-9x, ASRAAM can pull 60g while Python-5 can pull 70g( which is best among all wvr missile in agility).

80-100 g is a bit too much. Aim-9x, ASRAAM can pull 60g while Python-5 can pull 70g( which is best among all wvr missile in agility).
May be true,but astra airframe was not rated for wvr engagements. Between I got 80g values from one thread in keypub forum,may be the guy posted went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom