What's new

Indian Fishermen do cross into Sri Lanka - Indian Coast Guard

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Indian Fishermen do cross into
Sri Lanka - Indian Coast Guard

Commanding Officer H.H. More, Coast Guard Station Mandapam said Indian fishermen are crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) and getting caught by the Sri Lankan Navy for poaching in Sri Lankan waters.

Describing it as a long pending problem, he said the fishermen not only cross the IMBL, while setting out for fishing, but reach very close to the Lankan coast.

"We will not keep quiet if Lankan fishermen or fishermen from Pakistan crossed the line and fish near our coast," he said.

In the case of 40 fishermen, he said they were fishing near the Bolder point, 'very close' to the east coast of Sri Lanka, when they were arrested by the Lankan Navy on December 3.

The Indian fishermen, sometimes, move close to two km away from the Lankan coast, he said.

The fishermen go out for fishing and they do not indulge in smuggling acts, but when hundreds of fishermen set out for fishing and get close to the Lankan coast, the possibility of some of them indulging in smuggling activities, could not be ruled out, he said.

The fishermen, who were equipped with GPS, know fully well their location of fishing, but they were wilfully crossing the border, taking a risk. When the Coast guard vessel, stop them at the IMBL, they take a deviation to get into the Lankan waters.

"After crossing the IMBL, they even used to wave at us as we cannot chase at them across the IMBL," the Commanding Officer said.

Pointing out that from Rameswaram, the IMBL lay about 16 nautical miles and from the Sri Lankan side, 14 nautical miles from the Point Calimere, he said for a lasting solution, a massive awareness campaign has to be launched among the fishing community to change their mindset, he suggested.

On charges levelled by the fishermen that the Indian Navy and Coast Guard do not come to their rescue when they were attacked by the Sri Lankan Navy, he said "I can't help when they are in other's territory. I can protect them only if they are in my territory," he said.

The fishermen have been distributed Distress Alert Equipment, free of cost by the Coast Guard, but they seldom take the devise, when they set out for fishing, he complained.

The fishermen have to be educated that the use of bottom trawling would wipe out the entire marine resources and it would pose a threat to their livelihood in the future.

"There is so much of technology available now, but they should go hand in hand with the awareness campaign as the issue concerned the livelihood of the fishing community," Mr. More said.

Indian Fishermen do cross IMBL - Coast Guard officer

Of course they do....Fihserman from both sides cross to each others water...

Jeeze- 2kms from the SL cost?!

SL is very lax on securing its coast and waters. This would scare the bejesus out of me if I was a Sri Lankan.

Our forces should take action against those fishermen who are breaking internationl Law. Otherwise someday innocent poor fishermen may pay its price. Give numbers to fishing boats n heavily panalty them even if they go even 200meter near international border.

Jeeze- 2kms from the SL cost?!

SL is very lax on securing its coast and waters. This would scare the bejesus out of me if I was a Sri Lankan.

It should scare us too that our own fishermen are not complying with our coast guards orders. Think about it, someday down the line due to political pressure our coast guard vessels or even smaller IN patrol ships might be forced into interdicting SL crafts even if it'll be our fault that any tension was caused.

Dont you guys think of a possiblity that available of more fishes attracts the Fisherman?

It should scare us too that our own fishermen are not complying with our coast guards orders. Think about it, someday down the line due to political pressure our coast guard vessels or even smaller IN patrol ships might be forced into interdicting SL crafts even if it'll be our fault that any tension was caused.
Do you mean political pressue on the SL or Indian side?

Do you mean political pressue on the SL or Indian side?

On our side, listen the sword cuts both ways- our fishermen break international laws and the SL authorities also are not epitomes of justness. Which will give politicians here enough "legitimate" pretexts to eventually get the GOI to act- that will not be pleasant- more so for SL than us but it will put us in a tight diplomatic place. If we don't ensure that our citizens are obeying the laws then we'll have a hard time protesting any infractions form the opposition when they do the same.

"After crossing the IMBL, they even used to wave at us as we cannot chase at them across the IMBL," the Commanding Officer said.
@Dillinger What the heck is this supposed to mean ? :what: They do return to their territory right after fishing , why aren't they arrested upon their return ? This seems like some sort of open rebellion ? The concerned personnel language looks very serious to me atleast ... 2 km from the coast ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they do....Fihserman from both sides cross to each others water...

Sri Lankan fisherman do not need to cross the border cuz we have more than enough fishing resources....

If they go beyond the boarders even after warning then no one cant be blamed but the fisherman..... Its a tricky scenario....because there a bigger fisherman in main land who would like to do some fishing in muddle waters.....

On our side, listen the sword cuts both ways- our fishermen break international laws and the SL authorities also are not epitomes of justness. Which will give politicians here enough "legitimate" pretexts to eventually get the GOI to act- that will not be pleasant- more so for SL than us but it will put us in a tight diplomatic place. If we don't ensure that our citizens are obeying the laws then we'll have a hard time protesting any infractions form the opposition when they do the same.

Agreed, I can see a situation where the ICG is protecting Indian fishermen when they are breaking the law and in SL waters. This is a diplomatic nightmare- Indian agencies actively breaking international law to protect Indian citizens.

I agree the issue has to be sorted out on the INDIAN side- SL isn't going to go toe-toe with the ICG but that doesn't give the Indian fishermen to think they can act with impunity.

ICG should be interdicting Indian vessels going anywhere near this boundary IMHO.

If they cross into Sri Lankan Boundaries Sri Lanka Has every right to Detain them and shoot them if they repeat it time and again . No country gives Penny under horseshyt about how poor the neighbors are if they start hogging into their Natural Resources . We shoot transgressors from Bangladesh as well as Pakistan . I don't see why Sri Lanka should Act any different .

The point being International Maritime Boundaries are set for a purpose .

@Dillinger What the heck is this supposed to mean ? :what: They do return to their territory right after fishing , why aren't they arrested upon their return ? This seems like some sort of open rebellion ? The concerned personnel language looks very serious to me atleast ... 2 km from the coast ?

Because some politician would have an epileptic fit if an arrest ever occurred, here's the thing- even our ICGS vessels are in the 1800-2000 ton range and armed to the hilt short of AA defense and missiles- when one presumes that a 2000 ton craft is going to roll in to save your keister one gets adventurous. They don't seem to comprehend that the ICGS is not going to break international maritime law to bail them out BUT their hands are tied when it comes to arresting these fellows. We have a lot of legitimate issues with SL as I am sure SL has with us but if the above report is as accurate as I think it is then this one's on our head.

One or two of our OPVs could run havoc among the SL navy, what do you think will be the diplomatic and legal repercussions of that though? We'll be in the drinks hooves first. Explaining that to GPS equipped fishermen seems to be as complicated as rocket science it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they cross into Sri Lankan Boundaries Sri Lanka Has every right to Detain them and shoot them if they repeat it time and again . No country gives Penny under horseshyt about how poor the neighbors are if they start hogging into their Natural Resources . We shoot transgressors from Bangladesh as well as Pakistan . I don't see why Sri Lanka should Act any different .

The point being International Maritime Boundaries are set for a purpose .

Agree with the gist of your statements, but Many times these crossings happen unintentionally. Think about it, if your family member was fishing and unintentionally crossed into SL waters, would you think he deserves to get shot?

I think a more amicable and effective way would be to set up some kind of joint commission or task force made of India and SL members, and the fishermen can be arrested and returned properly.

Back
Top Bottom