What's new

Indian Fishermen do cross into Sri Lanka - Indian Coast Guard

Agree with the gist of your statements, but Many times these crossings happen unintentionally. Think about it, if your family member was fishing and unintentionally crossed into SL waters, would you think he deserves to get shot?

Why India shoot Bengalis? Isn't it a hypocrisy to ask from SLN?

Agree with the gist of your statements, but Many times these crossings happen unintentionally. Think about it, if your family member was fishing and unintentionally crossed into SL waters, would you think he deserves to get shot?

I think a more amicable and effective way would be to set up some kind of joint commission or task force made of India and SL members, and the fishermen can be arrested and returned properly.

Unintentionally you don't reach 2 km near the Sri Lankan Coastline and Unintentionally you don't wave and clown at another countries Navy because Indian Coast Guards are around . Even after all these Brazen and clownassry i am Impressed at Discipline of Sri Lankan Navy , though it has also to do with not having a beef with ICG .

Why India shoot Bengalis? Isn't it a hypocrisy to ask from SLN?

They are involved in illegal smuggling, and at times human traficking and illegal immigration. Most of these illegal activities have adverse effects on India. Most of them are not shot though, just that when they happen to be shot it makes media limelight.

TN fishermen are not harming SL in any way, all they are doing is trying to earn a living.

Because some politician would have an epileptic fit if an arrest ever occurred, here's the thing- even our ICGS vessels are in the 1800-2000 ton range and armed to the hilt short of AA defense and missiles- when one presumes that a 2000 ton craft is going to roll in to save your keister one gets adventurous. They don't seem to comprehend that the ICGS is not going to break international maritime law to bail them out BUT their hands are tied when it comes to arresting these fellows. We have a lot of legitimate issues with SL as I am sure SL has with us but if the above report is as accurate as I think it is then this one's on our head.

One or two of our OPVs could run havoc among the SL navy, what do you think will be diplomatic repercussions of that though. We'll be in the drinks hooves first. Explaining that to GPS equipped fishermen seems to be as complicated as rocket science it seems.

Who are these some politicians you are talking about ? Why exactly would they object if the Govt tries to enforce International laws , mate ? I fail to understand that ... Are you saying that they expect the IN to go berserk on SL Navy even when are violating serious laws of maritime boundaries , that too intentionally as per the reports ? Because you cant go wrong with the GPS , that is what I know for sure ... The Global Positioning System doesn't lie , Dillinger ... I am aware of those issues and I am seriously opposed to killing fisherman but this report makes it look like that those people leave Colombo no choice if they aren't leaving their own Govt too ... I would be very concerned if foreigners could make it to within 2 km's of my coast , honestly ...

The question is " Why would you want to do that ? " ... What benefit is there for you in it ? Simple none ! I understand the point you are trying to make but why cant the fisherman be made to understand it by arresting them ... I do not understand the political pressure you are trying to say ...

Unintentionally you don't reach 2 km near the Sri Lankan Coastline and Unintentionally you don't wave and clown at another countries Navy because Indian Coast Guards are around . Even after all these Brazen and clownassry i am Impressed at Discipline of Sri Lankan Navy , though it has also to do with not having a beef with ICG .

Hadnt read about that part in the story, so went back and read it again. Yes the clowning around is wrong, and if these guys are intentionally crossing borders, then they only have themselves to blame for what consequeces they face when they are in another nations waters. I was only talking about the "unintentional" cases...

Hadnt read about that part in the story, so went back and read it again. Yes the clowning around is wrong, and if these guys are intentionally crossing borders, then they only have themselves to blame for what consequeces they face when they are in another nations waters. I was only talking about the "unintentional" cases...

Buddy there is so Much Bad Blood Between Sri Lankans and Tamilians that they would not do it "Unintentionally " . Just to give you perspective , How many times Sri Lankan fishermen have crossed into Indian waters ?? You would rarely find a case if any .

So either Sri Lankan fishermen are very smart and well educated as compared to Tamil Fishermen or They are "intentionally" doing it as their own traditional fishing grounds have been decimated by over fishing and now only way to make money and catch fish is cross into Sri Lankan waters . They are doing it to make a living , but whatever they are doing is grossly wrong by any standards .

There are only two ways . One either pay handsome amount of money to Sri Lankan govt so that they legally allow TN fishermen in their territory or Invest a huge of money and resources to Make TN fishermen traditional fishing grounds rich again . I would prefer the latter .

That being said acting like pirates does only aggravate the solution .

They are involved in illegal smuggling, and at times human traficking and illegal immigration. Most of these illegal activities have adverse effects on India. Most of them are not shot though, just that when they happen to be shot it makes media limelight.

TN fishermen are not harming SL in any way, all they are doing is trying to earn a living.

Some Indian fisherman are doing smuggling and majority are stealing our fishery resources... they should not only to be shot but their boats burned.

TSri Lankan Navy are well within their rights to arrest these Tamil fishermen because they generally do violate the border

If Indian fishermen are into smuggling activity then they can be surely arrested by SL or even tried. That should be one.
Second of someone has strayed into SL border for more fish, their fish can be confiscated, or they can be fined.

Looks like there are many ways to tackle it. My only problem is where is the slip???..

Back
Top Bottom