What's new

Indian Economy - News & Updates - Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tata Unbound
Businessweek

A talk with Ratan N. Tata reveals his take on everything from Tata Group's expansion plans, to being overstretched, to choosing a successor

For the past four years, Ratan N. Tata has been racing to seize opportunities to establish the Tata Group, one of India's oldest and biggest conglomerates, as a major global player in everything from steel and cars to hotels and information technology services. Besides making big acquisitions such as the Anglo-Dutch steel giant Corus Group and the Ritz Carlton hotel in Boston, the Tata Group is plowing $28 billion over the next five years into capital investments in a range of industries at home.

But at 69, this also is a time for the visionary tycoon to start considering his legacy. In a surprisingly candid and introspective interview with BusinessWeek's Pete Engardio and Nandini Lakshman at Bombay House, the Tata Group's graceful, colonial-era headquarters in Mumbai, Tata discussed the formation of the group's global strategy and its major challenges. He also talked about his achievements, disappointments, and unfinished agendas. Excerpts follow:

What were the origins of your big global push?
Around eight years ago we asked our companies to benchmark themselves against the best in breed in India. We wanted to know what they need to be in the top three market position, and have a path to get there.

About four years ago we decided to look at ourselves and our goals in a much bigger and bolder way than we had in the past. The genesis of this came from a little comparative study we did of India and China. I realized the difference was the scale of each thing they undertook. When you go to the Far East, you get overwhelmed. Whether they build a port or some other infrastructure, skeptics around the world would say, "My God, this is just over the top." I realized that with almost everything China did big, they grew into it very quickly. Their growth rate momentum supported that.

It led me to mandate around 2003 that we rescale our thinking in terms of our growth, not just organic growth but also inorganic growth, and that we look at global scale rather than domestic scale. Then we just forced and cajoled this to happen in the business plans of the companies.

Why all the acquisitions now?
First, our companies are more prosperous than they were. Access to international funds certainly is a factor. There also is a strategic situation that sometimes makes it easier to grow internationally than domestically. The auto market may be booming now in India, for example, but we may be weak elsewhere.

Your acquisitions have been all over the map. Is there an overarching strategy?
We want to extend our footprint overseas wherever it makes sense to us. We want to be in a place in a meaningful way, not just as a red dot on a map to say that we are there.

Each acquisition had a strategic reason. Tetley [the British company bought in 2001 by Tata Tea] was to gain a brand. Daewoo Motors had heavy trucks, which we didn't have. [European steel giant] Corus was basically a very good fit. It has complimentary products and has 19 million tons of capacity we can acquire with a single company and has a footprint in Europe.

In hotels, we have a geographic plan. We are looking at iconic hotels in strategic places. We are not to acquire a chain. We looked at three or four locations in the U.S., one or two in Europe, at South Africa, and the Indian Ocean. You may well see another.

Why acquire hotels with names like Ritz or Pierre when you already have a strong name in Taj?
There are two ways to [expand]. One is to have the Taj brand everywhere. The other is to get iconic hotels with their own brands. People will realize that they are your hotels. We could retain those brands for awhile, and alter them at some time. The Ritz in Boston now is the Taj Boston, and we just signed a deal with Camdon Place in San Francisco, where we will retain that brand for awhile. We don't own the Pierre. It's a lease. But even when Four Seasons had it, it was still the Pierre.

At the same time you are buying luxury hotels, the Tata Group is going after the so-called bottom of the pyramid with everything from low-cost watches to cars. Why?
All of Indian industry is aiming for the tip of the pyramid (high-end consumers). But you have this huge base of the pyramid which is not addressed. We said that in India, maybe we should break tradition and go to a market that in future will be 600 million people. We asked whether we can raise standards for products at that level. Can we produce a $2,000 car? Can we produce a $25-a-night hotel? A very inexpensive watch?

Do you plan to bring products like the low-cost hotels to the U.S.?
It would be philosophically wrong for us to go into the U.S. with no-frills products. If we go for the bottom of the market, we would build an image of that nature. The Taj Group [of hotels] ought to carry through the high stature it has in India.

Are you satisfied with your progress in India at the bottom of the pyramid?
We have not been so successful. We have been trying to reinvent products. But we haven't reinvented the businesses, which is something we need to do. We should look at different ways of marketing these products. With the car, for example, we are looking at selling through stand-alone services guys who may act like insurance agents—operating on their own, using satellite service stations.

Nissan's Carlos Ghosn now also wants to make a low cost car in India. Is that a concern?
It's not a concern. At least he's talking about it because he believes in it. Mr. [Osamu] Suzuki [chairman of Suzuki Motors] says it can't be done. When we produced the Indica, it was to be a $4,000 car, but others felt it had to be a $7,000 car. Now why should the $2,000 car be the limit?

Are you happy with the design?
I had hoped in design it would be totally unconventional. But it is still a car. I was disappointed we used conventional materials like steel, not plastic. In fact, General Electric was also very keen that we develop a plastic car. But the cost of plastic was more than steel, so it became a conventional material car.

At first, I thought about something that was very different from a regular car, but I wasn't specific. When you get into that mode, you don't accept anything that exists today. In the early thinking, the car had no doors. We looked at it as a progression up from a basic motor transport to something that was motorized and would take a family. Then we realized that people weren't going to consider that to be a car but some other animal. We realized we need doors and a roll-up window.

How could you get the cost down so low?
First, it is small. It is innovative in that it is lighter and has less materials than other cars. It won't have a lot of frills. A trivial example is that it may not have air vents. There is very minimal trim. The dashboard can be rather stark. The base model may not have any reclining seats. But it is upgradable to have power windows and power steering.

When you took over the group in 1991, you wanted to radically reduce its size. Now there are more companies than before. Are you too big?
It's one area I have not succeeded in what I set out to do. We have about 80 to 90 companies and about 300 subsidiaries in 40 businesses. We said that we would bring it down to 15 or so. We've done a little bit through internal mergers, and have gone out of some businesses. But we also added some.

What we have done is to create clusters around the strong companies in each business. They are like mother companies. We have created a bunch of mini groups that are in less business than before. But if you look at them together, we are still too diverse and too big.

What happened to the downsizing?
We told companies they had to be among the top three in their markets. And many were. They met the challenge. So the question came up, "Why are you doing this to us and not to them?" We didn't have an answer for that.

Do you have enough management bandwidth for all these businesses? It is an issue. We have to increase the management bandwidth with the same ethical standards and values. This is something you cannot ensure until that person is with you. We need to empower more young people. We still have a years-of-experience syndrome in our group.

How about you personally? Aren't you overstretched?
I'm involved in more issues than I feel I should be. Some of my people probably would agree.

Do you think this can be a model for the global corporation of the future?
The shareholder in India does not see [funds spent on corporate responsibility] as money that belongs to him and that must be distributed to him. I think it is the kind of company you should see in Brazil, Kenya, or Central America. And it may rub off on some Southern states in the U.S.

What do you say to concerns that you have not designated a successor?
There is a problem. It is something that I am committed to do while I am here, and not to carry on endlessly as may have happened in the past. There are some contenders outside the group and inside, but no anointed individuals. I will have this defined 24 months before my exit. And that exit needn't be at 75, but much earlier. Whoever it might be, I hope I can pick the right person who will surprise everybody.

What are your big challenges now?
I think people. The other is retaining the value systems as we grow bigger, diverse, and go overseas. Before we make an acquisition, we spend a fair amount of time and effort becoming comfortable with the management and their ethics. If that isn't there, we will not go forward, as it's too difficult to change the culture from several thousand miles away.

With Corus, we really came to know the top three or four people well enough to conclude that even if we don't go forward, we at least saw a friendship. We interacted with them for eight or nine months, even before we thought that we would acquire the company. We thought we might just have an alliance.

While your corporate responsibility spending is laudable, some might say it is excessive for a global public company. Is there are risk it will diminish under future managers?
I can't ensure this will survive. The view I take is that there is no issue if I am in the ballpark in terms of dividend payments and the bottom line, and if we still remain competitive. If one went to Tata Steel, for example, you could take a broom and sweep out a lot of these costs [such as maintaining municipal services in Jamshedpur]. You could turn it into a more conventional company. But you would have great discontent. And I think it would change the environment and atmosphere. We certainly don't do all these things in other countries. But here, we have this responsibility. Remember that Tata Steel went from 78,000 employees [in 1994] to 38,000 today—with no labor unrest. You could never do that unless there was faith between the employer and employee.

What are some things you would like to leave as your legacy?
I would really like to see ourselves serving the low end, the underprivileged, more than we are doing today. I feel we can achieve breakthroughs in some areas, like helping provide water. The bare necessities. If our company could spearhead things like this, it would give me great happiness. It also would give me great pleasure if I could create awareness of the destruction of the environment around us.

Land of curry fast gaining currency
3 Aug, 2007, 0231 hrs IST,Vishakha Talreja & Moinak Mitra, TNN

NEW DELHI: Stomach this. Over the last 12 months, tour operator Cox & Kings has been raking in the moolah through its ‘Curry Spice Tour of India’. So has SITA Travels with its ‘Cuisines of India’ travel-pack aimed at the global foodie. Other tour operators are not averse to the idea either. Gourmet tourism (the wine curries favour too) has just found a new home — India.

The land of curry is fast gaining currency among other people, tingling their tastebuds and bringing them to India in droves. While tour operators cash in on the tastes of India with sugar-coated brochures promising gastronomic trails, ET goes the whole hog.

Though the 20-30% margin falls nothing short of mouthwatering, operators carp on volumes. “While there’s a growing awareness of Indian cuisine the world over, this is still not France or Italy where gastronomic tours are the norm.

India has a long way to go and this is just the tip of the iceberg,” says Himmat Anand, COO of SITA Travels, which brings four to five culinary groups annually into the country under its ‘Cuisines of India’ banner. Every group comprises 15-20 members. That makes it 100-odd from SITA. “Overall, not more than 500 gourmet tourists (a puddle in a sea of 4.4-million tourists who touch down in India every year) land up annually,” adds Anand.

To turn the trickle into a flow, now even the tourism ministry has something to chew on. Gastro-enteritis is out, gastro-entreatie is in. The ministry has identified gourmet tourism as one of the themes to promote India as a destination for foodies. “We’ve even cut a compact disc specifically aiming at the global tourists’ hunger drive, and are now distributing it across tour operators countrywide,” points out a ministry official.

A speed read through Cox & Kings’ Curry Spice Tour takes the gourmand traveller through cups of mishti doi (sweetened curd) in Kolkata, or chakna (spicy offal stew) in Hyderabad, or the narrow bye-lanes of Paranthewaale Gali in Delhi, the Royal Barge in Udaipur’s Lake Pichola with sweet champagne on ice, or for that matter, a late evening Chettinad meal at a private home in Chennai. “Gourmet tourism is targeted at a niche segment of high-end travelers. The concept is gaining popularity among tourists,” says Arup Sen, executive director, Cox & Kings.

The hospitality trade too is wheeling in sumptuous spreads to satiate global appetite. “Bukhara and Dum Pukht are destination restaurants. We have both groups and individuals coming to the (ITC Maurya) hotel only to relish cuisine at the two anchor restaurants,” he says, and the glint in his eye doesn’t betray Bill Clinton’s fave Bukhara Dal that went on to put Indian cuisine on the global map.

Never mind the accolades, gourmet tourism faces an uphill task. Ask India’s Cordon Bleu chef Sanjeev Kapoor and he retorts straight from the gut —“While the country offers some cuisines, gourmet tourism could face some challenge. Besides the notion that most Indian eating joints are unhygienic, there are logistical nightmares. Anyhow, this is a sunrise sector and I expect a lot of action in times to come.” No point in hurrying the curry. For tour operators, that’s the bottomline.

Lockheed Martin to set up centre for innovation in Gurgaon
2 Aug, 2007, 1329 hrs IST, IANS

NEW DELHI: US defence and aerospace major Lockheed Martin Corp has entered into a 50:50 collaborative venture with Bangalore-based Wipro to set up a centre for innovation in Gurgaon on the edge of Delhi - its third such facility globally.

"We're calling it the Network Centric Operations Centre (NCOC). It'll have core competence in testing and analysing war-fighting concepts and other command and control operations," said Richard G. Kirkland, the group's president for South Asia.

"This facility will have some 40 trained people. But as and when the need arises, we will deploy people depending on what kind of demonstration the client needs," Kirkland, who is based in Arlington, Virginia, told IANS during a visit here.

Kirkland did not divulge the amount of money being invested in the project, but said: "The fact that this is only our third such centre globally speaks about the significance we attach to India and the project."

The Gurgaon facility will help defence and homeland security customers fight terror and tackle other issues like natural disasters in an integrated manner by suggesting how the available resources can be optimally deployed.

Technically, the services offered by the centre will combine what is also called C4ISR capabilities - command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.

"It will be modelled on the Centre for Innovation in Suffolk, Virginia, and the experimentation facility called 'Swift' at the Farnborough Aerospace Centre in Britain," Kirkland said.

"Essentially, the facility will develop for its civil and defence customers the solutions required to address complex problems, emerging threats and similar operational challenges, using modern techniques," he added.

The situations can vary from floods to disasters and earthquakes and terror attacks, maritime surveillance and the whole battle space, while the solutions will help concerned authorities deal with the situation in the best possible manner.

"In other words, our expert team at the centre, together with the customers, can effectively simulate various operations so that a clearer understanding emerges about the challenges and opportunities of a situation and the technologies needed."

New services bolster Cheng Lie’s China-India link
Cargo News Asia, Singapore

Cheng Lie Navigation, acquired by CMA CGM last April, has launched two new services between China and India.

The first, a new China-Korea-Southeast Asia-India service to be called “NIX” (New India Express), will focus on Nhava Sheva on the west coast of India and will be launched in partnership with Korea Marine Transport Co (KMTC).

This fixed day weekly service will operate with five containerships, four supplied by KMTC that will include two vessels of 1,860 TEU, and one from Cheng Lie Navigation.

The service began on July 29th in Busan, and its rotation covers Xingang, Qingdao, Busan, Hong Kong, Shekou, Singapore, Port Klang, Nhava Sheva, Port Klang, Singapore, Hong Kong, Busan, Xingang.

The second service, a North China – South India Express Service named “NCC”, to be deployed from North China to Chennai, is designed to serve between the booming China market and Chennai on the East Coast of India, and will be launched in partnership with Wan Hai Line and Sea Consortium.

NCC will operate with four 1,700 TEU vessels and will average 10 days from Shanghai and 12 days from North China to Chennai, with calls at Qingdao, Lianyungang and Shanghai on the way.

Starting in September, the rotation of this service will be: Qingdao, Lianyungang, Shanghai, Singapor, Port Kelang, Chennai, Port Kelang, Singapore, Hong Hong, Qingdao.

“These new services are expected to meet our customers’ needs, and will allow connect growing container markets of China to Southeast Asia and India,” said Igal Dafni, president of Cheng Lie Navigation.

Growth in China, India is topic at BYU
By Catherine Smith
Deseret Morning News

China and India are experiencing explosive economic growth that will offer both challenges and opportunities for the United States, U.S. vice consul to India Brian Reynolds said Wednesday.

Reynolds spoke at Brigham Young University's David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies. He stressed his comments were his opinions and not those of the State Department.

Reynolds also served for two years in China with the U.S. ambassador and stressed that both countries are emerging as economic strongholds.

Last year, the U.S. gross domestic product was $13 trillion, China's was $10 trillion and India's $4 trillion, showing the economic progress both countries had, Reynolds said.

"When business leaders arrive in China, they're amazed at the opportunities and bewildered by the bureaucratic morass," he said.

India's bureaucratic controls are "virtually unnavigable" because of the extreme corruption within the country. "They don't know how to handle (corruption) because it's at every level of government," Reynolds said. "It's not a big issue to them."

More Chinese people have started resisting the government's control of business. Thousands of acts of social unrest occur every year in China, with people wanting to break the law in order to get the government's attention and fight for their business rights, Reynolds said. Most of those who fight are executed; others are forced into slavery.

The Chinese government sees democracy as a problem, as its people look to the West for political influence, he said.

"Those people know their system is flawed," he said. "They want to vote, but they won't tell the government that."

More than 130 million people live below the poverty level in China, working low-paid jobs, and the cost of labor in China rises every day, Reynolds said.

China's one-child policy will affect the country's future wealth, he said. With the Chinese population aging at a faster rate than anywhere else in the world, in the future one person could be caring for six. Some Chinese companies already outsource to other countries, such as Indonesia and Vietnam, because of their growing businesses and diminishing work force.

However, Reynolds said the main concern the U.S. should have is the lack of American goods found in Chinese stores — a lack that creates a huge trade deficit.

But despite its problems, China's economy could change its politics.

"Economic liberalization goes hand-in-hand with political liberalization," he said. "Information is going to change China."

India, on the other hand, has a "glut of resources that (are) untapped," Reynolds said.

He said the country could become a major player in agriculture exports. India has high-paying jobs, and like the U.S., it is a service-driven economy. India heavily promotes education, degrees earned in the U.S. are highly prized and several American universities have created Indian campuses, Reynolds said.

India's own primary education system is slowly improving, as well as encouragement for entrepreneurs.

India aims to ease air space management snarls

By Neelam Mathews, New Delhi, Aug 3: India's civil aviation ministry has initiated talks with the defence establishment to ease restrictions on the use of air space to accommodate growing civilian traffic. And it has projected a two-fold increase in the fleet size of carriers over the next five years.

With military concerns being a sensitive issue and airspace management a pressing need, talks are on to work out a plan for the flexible use of India's air space, said Airports Authority of India (AAI) chairman K. Ramalingam.

"We have an active dialogue on with the Indian Air Force (IAF). As a result, Goa has got more flying hours. Also Hindon (an IAF station near Delhi) has allowed us the use of air space," K.N. Srivastava, joint secretary in the civil aviation ministry, told IANS in an interview.

The release of air space under IAF is, in fact, among the key suggestions in the draft civil aviation policy and the Vision-2020 document that is being examined by a group of ministers under External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee.

Air traffic in India has increased 46 percent in the first six months of this year over the like period of 2006. As many as 123,000 people travel daily by air in India and put a heavy load on the ground and air infrastructure. AAI, therefore, has had to fast forward its upgrade plans, which include preferred routes implementation, networking of military and civilian radars and consolidation of airspace, Ramalingam said.

Also, 70 percent of air space over the Delhi airport, one of the country's busiest, is under military control. As a result, civilian flights have to take circuitous routes, creating safety issues, delays and wastage of fuel, experts said.

In fact, the two converging runways in Delhi and Mumbai's cross-runways have not made the job easy. These two airports have, therefore, become the main choke points since they account for over 50 percent of India's air traffic, they added.

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have also increased sharply over the past years, posing not just a formidable challenge for surveillance of air space but also altering the military's requirements, according to the experts.

"The system should be flexible enough that changes with requirements of military needs," said Fred Pease, executive director of the US Department of Defence Policy Board on Federal Aviation.

AAI's recent capacity enhancement initiatives in Delhi and Mumbai air traffic control (ATC) operations include simultaneous, two-runway operations with one reserved for international operations and the other for domestic.

Control positions have also been added in the ATC towers, resulting in a significant reduction in delays and congestion, Ramalingam said.

Ministry officials said hospitals and top corporate houses have also made pleas to permit helipads on their buildings after permission was given to the Tatas to start helicopter operations at Mumbai's Taj Wellington Mews luxury hotel.

The Director General for Civil Aviation conducted trial landings in late-June and AAI may soon announce dedicated helicopter routes, the ministry officials added.

The signing of the Aviation Corporation Program (ACP) initiated by the US Trade and Development Agency and the Indian civil aviation ministry will also help in enhancing India's air traffic and air space management.

"We have identified areas on performance-based navigation for precise approach, arrival and departure procedure like Required Navigation Performance (RNP) and Area Navigation (RNAV) for which training is being planned," Ramalingam said.

RNAV, he explained, enables aircraft to fly on any desired flight path in the coverage area of navigational aids. Therefore, aircraft with RNAV have better access and flexibility for point-to-point operations.

The first step in the direction was taken recently when India signed an agreement with the US Mitre Corp. for consultancy on the design of area navigation routes over Mumbai and Delhi.

Mitre is offering its model used across the US to design new arrival and departure routes and procedures.

The $1.7 million order will include training and technology transfer. This model will improve on-time performance, improve flight predictability and save fuel. Plans are on to soon send Indian air traffic controllers to the US for training.

Come alive with the hot buzzword, Animation
Tuesday - Jul 31, 2007
Televisionpoint.com Correspondent

A toon man looking suspiciously like Saif Khan, a bearded patriarch with an uncanny resemblance to Bachchan Senior singing 'Mere Pas Aao'; a toothbrush talking and dancing, hearts floating out of mid-air, animation is everywhere. Think television, movies, ads and games, animation is the hot buzzword in the entertainment industry today.

Major companies like Walt Disney, Imax and Sony are continuously outsourcing cartoon characters and special effects to India that is enjoying its newfound status as a preferred destination for outsourcing thanks to low production costs. In fact it is steadily overtaking the Philippines, Korea and Taipei.

With the big studios having state-of-the-art facilities equipped with SGI, 3DMax and SoftImage, Maya, SFX and processing motion capture facilities in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Trivandrum, India is now a global player in this industry. Today there are a number of animation training studios in Mumbai and students have plenty to choose from.

Sandip Kshirsagar, director of Bounce Animation Studio & Academy explains the evolution of this sector. Traditionally animation was used in cartoons like Tom and Jerry and done by hand in what is called Cel animation. Artists would manually sketch characters in a flicker book format with 24 frames per second.

Today, the process has completely evolved and 2D and 3D animation is used widely. 3D is generally used for product modeling and simulations as it gives a 360 degree view. It is used across mediums like in ads, computer games, websites, architectural designs and more.

Pritee Purswani, senior counselor at Arena Multimedia says animation is a booming market especially now with Bollywood coming into the sector. The prospects have broadened and India is witnessing a 20 per cent growth each year. She says the industry doesn't have enough skilled trainees and there is a huge gap between demand and supply so if you're thinking of getting into the profession, now is a good time.

Arena offers a two-year training program where students are taught graphic designing, editing and 2D and 3D animation. They are taught studio Max, Maya and how to create cloning effects and skin effects.The course consists of alternate days of theory and practical's so that students can first learn and then experiment with the software's. The students get on-course training and are usually absorbed by animation studios later on. Bounce Academy offers a 16 month extensive course where the entire process of 3D filmmaking is taught.

The first eight months drawing and filmmaking is focused on followed by visualisation and then a two-month internship. Students are assisted in finding jobs or have the option of joining the Bounce Animation studio. Everything from Photoshop to 3D Max Maya, after effects and editing is covered.

Kshirsagar says this industry is growing very rapidly and India is cashing in with movies like Hanuman clicking very well with the audience. Also Hollywood films like the Chronicles of Narnia were a hit where 35 to 40 per cent of the film was outsourced to India. Movies aside, television channels too are broadcasting more animated shows.

Aparna Bhosle, Director, Programming and Production, Walt Disney (India) says they ensure that there's a good mix of animation and live action on their channel. In the children's space, it is important to have animation on the channel as a part of the programming mix. Hungama TV has some of the highest rated shows in the kids' space and their programs like Shin Chan, Doraemon and Kochikame are extremely popular. While Hungama TV is a channel for kids with a target audience of 4 to 14 years, there are also adults that tune into their shows.

Hanuman, a 2D animation movie, was a major success in the country. However, the honour of being the first animated film in India goes to Ashok Kaul's Bhaggmati: The Queen of Fortunes (2005). Hanuman's success story lies, perhaps in its simple storyline. The film traces the journey of this mythical God cum superhero, from his days as a cute miracle-working baby to his ultimate triumph in the army of Lord Ram.

V G Samant, director of the film says that initially no one was coming forward to sponsor the film and hence it took several years to come to the big screen. He completed the research for the film, wrote the script and made sure that there were well trained animators and technicians working on the film. It was later dubbed in many foreign languages and received a good response abroad.

After the positive feedback, Samant has decided to direct two more animated films, one which will be on Lord Ganesha and the other...well, you have guessed its a sequel to Hanuman. It seems animation is no longer restricted to cartoons but is a part of almost all entertainment fields and just keeps growing.

Indian PM warns agriculture is in crisis despite booming economy
ForexTV.com, NY
08/03/07 12:28 pm (GMT)

BANGALORE, India (Thomson Financial) - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh warned Friday against complacency over India's booming economy, saying the dividends of growth are yet to trickle down to the rural poor and farmers are in crisis.

Singh, whose party came to power in 2004 on the promise of improving rural lives, is presiding over an economy that is growing at around nine percent, the fastest after China.

The investment and savings rate is as high as 35 percent of national economic output, Singh said at a meeting of his Congress party in this southern Indian city, the hub of a 50-billion-dollar IT industry at the vanguard of the country's economic resurgence.

"But we cannot be complacent till the growth becomes inclusive and socio-economic development benefits more than half the population, especially in rural areas," Singh said.

India's rain-dependent agriculture, which contributes about a fifth of economic output but is a direct or indirect source of livelihood for two-thirds of its billion-plus population, is growing at less than a quarter the pace of the overall economy.

Annual per capita foodgrain production declined from 207 kilograms (455 pounds) in 1995 to 186 kilos last year. The rate of agricultural growth fell from five percent in the mid-1980s to less than two percent in the past five years.

India, the world's second-largest wheat producer, exported no wheat last year after shortages forced it to import the commodity for the first time in six years.

Despite the Indian economy growing at a sizzling pace, thousands of debt-ridden farmers have committed suicide after crop failures.

"Agriculture in many parts of the country is in a state of crisis," said Singh, an economist who in 1991 introduced reforms that ended four decades of socialist-style insulation by opening the doors to foreign investors.

"The fact that farmers are compelled to resort to suicides is a matter of deep concern for all," he said.

In May, Singh announced a six billion US dollar package to try and help poor farmers.

The funds for investment in technology and infrastructure to bring crops to market more efficiently will be made available to India's 29 states over a four-year period.

On Friday, the premier pledged to improve living standards in the countryside by building state-of-the art power plants, roads, telecommunications, housing, healthcare and education facilities.

Moving on
Sandy Howard
Newstatesman, UK
Published 02 August 2007

Print version Listen RSS From SUVs to battered buses and auto-rickshaws, Delhi's transport captures the divide between rich and poor. But its cheap, safe Metro system may level the field.

My heart sank as the auto-rickshaw driver named his price. "Three hundred rupees to Vasant Kunj? No, no, 100," I insisted. The driver, or autowallah, looked back at the expensive bar we had just left, and repeated his price.

Three drunk, young Delhiites strolled out the bar and up to their SUV. Their western-style clothes and confident manner were brash and loud, like the city itself. One of them banged on the windscreen to wake his sleeping driver. They sped off, Punjabi-remix music thumping from inside the air-conditioned cab. From their dust emerged some child beggars. Little girls dressed in shabby dresses marched straight up to tug on our arms and gesture to their mouths.

Living in New Delhi, you spend a lot of time in transit. Seven different empires have made this their capital, each building on a new area of land. The resulting low-lying, spread-out city is a transport nightmare. Like India's other big cities, Delhi embodies the contrasts of a country that has experienced several years of unprecedented economic growth, but where poverty and social inequality are rife. These contrasts are rendered vividly through the chaotic transport system.

Most aware of this are the relatives of those routinely killed by Delhi's Blueline commuter buses. Over 60 people have died in bus accidents since the beginning of the year. These beasts are overcrowded and manically driven. Many passengers are crushed by the giant wheels while dangerously leaping on and off.

The problem became so acute that the Delhi government announced that all buses would be pulled off the road for safety inspections. Without a cheap alternative, many of the very poor Blueline commuters protested. They put worries about lost work before physical safety.

From the back seats of their air-conditioned cars, Delhi's wealthy read about the Blueline commuters' concerns in the morning paper. Being driven to work from the expensive enclaves of south Delhi is as natural for them as having live-in servants.

Nipping between the monstrous Bluelines and chauffeur-driven SUVs are the yellow and green auto-rickshaws. Their passengers are neither wealthy enough to have their own cars nor poor enough to ride the buses. Many of them are part of Delhi's ambitious and aspiring middle classes; entrepreneurs increasingly willing to marry low costs with high risks on the way up the social ladder.

Along with their passengers, the auto-rickshaws themselves are touted as a sign of progress. As part of Delhi's modernisation drive of the past few years they have been made to run on less-polluting compressed natural gas. But the autowallahs are the most hated figures in the city. Aggressive and extortionate in equal measures, their driving bangs their passengers round the cabin and they never follow the meter.

Autowallahs take no greater pleasure than charging astronomic rates to foreigners. When I haggle, my efforts to tell the autowallah I work for an Indian company on an Indian salary are never believed. They look around the dusty, noisy, street where a mutilated dog is taunted by a naked child-beggar and ask, "Why would you come from over there, to work here?"

This is a question that many expats ask each other. Many young European businesspeople hate the heat, pollution and con artists but choose to stay. One German engineer I met expressed a sentiment that matched many others. He said he came to Delhi to see for himself "this process of change, this emerging giant".

Last week, driving back home from a night out in an overpriced auto, I passed dozens of families sleeping naked on the pavement in the baking heat. The more things change the more they seem to have stayed the same for the bulk of Delhi's poorest. Little has visibly changed in the city since I first came here eight years ago. New buildings are restricted to the outskirts, while pollution and poverty are still ever-present.

A critical exception is the Delhi Metro: with spacious, clean stations and state-of-the-art technology, the Metro is a shining symbol of definite progress. Its elevated tracks cut strong lines into neglected west and north Delhi.

Historically despised by the rich of south Delhi, the residents of these poorer areas now have access to cheap, safe transport. In the recent bus crisis, the Metro happily accommodated thousands more passengers. Its large-scale expansion to the rest of the city is being heralded as the answer to Delhi's transport fatalities. And symbolically, the Metro nurtures the idea that this city of so many injustices can become an easier and fairer one to live in.

Infrastructure needs $320 bn in next 5 years
3 Aug, 2007, 1940 hrs IST,
INDIATIMES NEWS NETWORK

MUMBAI: “India needs an investment of around $320 billion and the investments in infrastructure needs to be increased from the existing 4.55 per cent to about 8 per cent of GDP over the next 5 years,” according to Manoj Vaish, president & CEO – India, Dun & Bradstreet.

He was speaking at a conference on Dynamics of Infrastructure & Real Estate Markets: The Financial Perspective organized by Dun & Bradstreet.

The conference stressed on the importance of infrastructure development as the key driver to sustain this momentum of current and potential economic growth.

“An improvement in the infrastructure would do wonders to the Indian economy with urbanization being of prime importance. Proactive participation from the private sector and the recent focus shown from the government has boosted the sector and there will be an increase in the infrastructure and real estate markets,” Vaish said.

Niranjan Hiranandani, chairman, Hiranandani Developers, said, “although the rates have gone up the real income has also seen an increase and hence we should not only strengthen the infrastructure but also de-regulate. Although the margins will decrease the volumes will increase in the real estate sector and hence the next ten years will be twice as prospective as the previous ten years.”

“The policies that we have are impeccable and world-class but implementation is bad and hence in Maharashtra the Urban Land Ceiling Act should be scrapped whilst the FSI should be raised in certain areas and policies on the Rent Act should be prospectively changed,” he added.

Speaking on social infrastructure initiatives by CIDCO, Nakul Patil, chairman, CIDCO, said, “land is the biggest resource for development in Maharashtra and the 344 square kilometers of Navi Mumbai handed over by the government to CIDCO has housed over 12 lakh people and generated over 3 lakh jobs. Besides being the educational hub of Mumbai it has also been touted as the fourth best city world over in terms of development.”

Indian textiles - on a buoyant yardage
India Infoline News Service / Mumbai Aug 03, 2007 18:19

Currently, it contributes about 14 percent to industrial production, 4 percent to the GDP, and 16.63 percent to the country’s export earnings.

The Indian Textiles Industry has an overwhelming presence in the economic life of the country. Apart from providing one of the basic necessities of life, it also plays a pivotal role through its contribution to industrial output, employment generation and the export earnings of the country. The Textiles sector is the second largest provider of employment after agriculture. Thus, the growth and all round development of this industry has a direct bearing on the improvement of the economy of the nation. Currently, it contributes about 14 percent to industrial production, 4 percent to the GDP, and 16.63 percent to the country’s export earnings. It provides direct employment to over 35 million people, which includes a substantial number of SC/ST and women.

The industry is now accelerating at an annual growth rate of 9-10 percent and is expected to grow at a rate of 16 percent in value terms and will reach the level of US $ 115 billion by 2012. The clothing and apparel sub-sector are expected to grow at a rate of 16 percent in volume terms and 21 percent in value terms, and textiles exports are expected to grow at a rate of 22 percent in value terms, by 2012.

The catalyst for this exponential growth is a buoyant domestic economy, substantial increase in cotton production, the conducive policy environment provided by the Government, and the expiration of the Multi Fibre Agreement on December 31, 2004.

Technology Mission on Cotton

The Government has initiated schemes which have facilitated the growth of the industry. The Technology Mission on Cotton has increased cotton production and reduced contamination levels. This industry consumes a diverse range of fibres and yarn, but is predominantly cotton based. A significant increase in cotton production during the last two-three years has increased the availability of raw cotton to the domestic textiles industry at competitive prices, providing it with a competitive edge in the global market.

The Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme has facilitated the installation of the state-of-the-art machinery at competitive capital cost, and the Scheme for Integrated Textiles Park was launched to neutralize the weakness of fragmentation of various sub-sectors of the textiles and non-availability of quality infrastructure. The rationalization of fiscal duties undertaken during the last three years has provided a level playing field in all segments of the industry, resulting in the holistic growth of the industry.

Increased Investment And Plan Allocation

Investment in the textiles sector in the past three years increased from Rs. 11,628.00 crore in 2004-05 to Rs. 31,000.00 in 2006-07. It is estimated that total investment in the textiles and clothing industry between financial years 2004-07 was around Rs. 64,478.00 crore. It is expected to reach Rs 1,50,600 crore by 2012. This enhanced investment will generate 17.37 million jobs by 2012.

In 2007-08, the plan allocation for Textiles has been enhanced by 66.27% over that of 2006-07. The Ministry of Textiles is one of only two Ministries that has seen such a high level of incremental budgetary support for its Annual Plan.

Exports

The Indian textiles industry is an export intensive industry, and about one third of its total production is exported in some form or the other. Through export friendly Government policies and positive efforts by the exporting community, textiles exports increased from US $ 12.45 billion in 2002-03 to US $ 17.85 billion in 2005-06, and are estimated at US$ 19.24 billion in 2006-07.

Exports of textiles and clothing, till 2004-05, had grown at a moderate pace. However, in 2005-06, they registered a sharp growth of 22%. This sharp rise in export was due to the elimination of trade quotas in the global textiles and clothing trade after over four decades of restrictions, w.e.f. January 1, 2005 coupled with an increased flow of funds to augment capacities in the entire textiles value chain, and favourable Government policies. Textile exports are expected to reach US $ 55 billion and attain a share of 7% in the global textiles trade by 2012.

Apparel and Clothing

The Clothing sector is an export intensive sub-sector and contributes about 40-45% to total textiles exports. It is a low investment and highly labour intensive industry : an investment of Rs.1.00 lakh in the sub-sector creates 6-8 jobs.

During the Tenth Five Year Plan, exports of readymade garments increased at the annualized rate of growth of 13.72%. Major change was witnessed in 2005-06, when it increased by 28 percent.

The investment requirement of this sub-sector by 2012 will be Rs.21,800.00 crore, and will create incremental employment for a 56.40 lakh workforce, of which 28.25 lakh will be semi-skilled, and 11.30 lakh un-skilled.

Scheme For Integrated Textiles Park (SITP)

Though the Indian textiles industry has its inherent advantages, infrastructure bottlenecks are a prime area of concern. With a view to take advantage of the post Multi Fibre Arrangement scenario, the Apparel Parks for Exports Schemes and the Textiles Centre Infrastructure Development Scheme were launched in 2002 to provide world class export infrastructure at important textiles centres. The objective of APES was to create exclusive export zones of apparel manufacturing. TCIDS was to modernize and fill in the gaps in the existing infrastructure at existing major textiles centres, to remove the impediments to production.

The performance of both Apparel Parks and TCIDS was restrained by the nature of assistance permitted. It was felt that there was a need to review both the schemes to examine the possibility for making provision for expeditious implementation of these schemes. Therefore, both the Schemes were subsumed into a new scheme called the ‘Scheme for Integrated Textile Park ’ in 2005. These parks would incorporate facilities for spinning, sizing, texturing, weaving, processing, apparels and embellishments. This scheme is based on the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.

During the Tenth Five Year Plan, 30 projects were sanctioned: Andhra Pradesh (4), Gujarat (7), Maharashtra (6), Tamil Nadu (6), Rajasthan (4), Karnataka (1), Punjab (1) and West Bengal (1). These parks will be set up by 2008 with an additional investment of Rs. 15,434.60 crores. The Integrated Textile Park at Palladam, Tamil Nadu is nearing completion.

These parks will generate an annual production of Rs. 23,600.00 crores, and will create more than half a million new jobs. Additional textiles parks will be set up by 2012.

National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)

NIFT was established by the Ministry of Textiles in 1986 as the apex body for HRD for the textiles, garment and allied sectors. NIFT has recently been given Statutory Status through an Act of Parliament for the promotion and development of education and research in Fashion Technology.

A new extension centre was inaugurated at Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh on February 13, 2007. The opening of new NIFT Centres at Patna and Mohali is under consideration.

Apparel Training and Design Centres (ATDC)

The Apparel Industry employs approximately 5 million workers, of which approximately 2.5 million are employed in the export sector. Thirteen Apparel Training and Design Centres (ATDC) are being run by the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC). ATDCs have trained over 21,000 workers since inception. AEPC plans to set up 25 new centres in 13 States, and 13 mobile centres during the Eleventh Five Year Plan. These additional facilities will enable ATDCs to train 57,625 trainees in addition to 30,000 students being trained by existing ATDCs. Further, 15,000 students would be trained through mobile centres.

Jute

The Jute industry occupies an important place in the national economy. It is one of the major industries in the eastern region, particularly in West Bengal. Jute, the golden fibre, meets all the standards for ‘safe’ packaging in view of being a natural, renewable, biodegradable and eco-friendly product.

The Government has announced the first National Jute Policy on April 15, 2005, and as envisaged in the Policy, the Government on June 2, 2006, approved the implementation of the Jute Technology Mission (JTM) at an estimated cost of Rs.355.55 crore.

Sericulture and Silk Industry

Globally India is the second largest producer of silk and contributes about 18% to the total world raw silk production. India has the unique distinction of being endowed with all the four varieties of silk, namely, Mulberry, Eri, Tasar, and Muga. The sericulture and silk textiles sector provides employment to about 6 million people, mainly in rural areas.

Handlooms

Handlooms play a very important role in the country’s economy and provide direct or indirect employment to about 6.5 million people. The Government has ensured the availability of raw-material to handloom weavers through the Hank Yarn Obligation Order.

The production of fabric by this decentralized sub-sector has been on the upswing. In 2005-06, and in 2006-07, the production is estimated at 6,871 million sq. mtrs.

For the first time a cluster approach was introduced in 2005-06 for the comprehensive and holistic development of selected handlooms clusters, and during 2007-08, 100-150 additional handlooms clusters will be taken up for development.

For the welfare of weavers in handlooms sector, Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana was launched in 2005 to provide life insurance cover to weavers. Similarly, the Health Insurance Scheme was also launched in 2005 to provide health insurance coverage to the weaver, his/her spouse and two children.

Handloom Mark

The Handloom Mark was launched on June 28, 2006, by the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, to give a distinctive identity to handlooms products.

Handicrafts

Handicrafts represent the rich and diverse cultural heritage of the country. Its cultural importance pertains to ensuring the preservation of heritage, traditional skills and talent. The economic importance lies in the handicrafts high employment potential, low capital investment, high value addition and potential for export/ foreign exchange earnings.

The Sector provides employment to an estimated 63.81 lakhs artisans, of which 47.42% are female; 24.73% belong to Scheduled Castes, and 12.38% to Scheduled Tribes.

Exports of Handicrafts and hand-made carpets has increased from Rs. 17,608.91 crores (US$ 3.98 billion) in 2005-06 to Rs. 20,963.00 crores (US$ 4.61 billion) in 2006-07. India is the world leader in carpet exports with 36% of the global market share.

The Rajiv Gandhi Shilpi Swasthya Bima Yojana was introduced to provide health insurance coverage to artisans and their families

The Government has reaffirmed its resolve to restructure and make the Textile sector competitive. The growth trajectory is now irreversible. Investment is increasing, textiles exports are on the rise, Plan allocations have increased, confirming the buoyancy of the sector.

Source: Inputs from the Ministry of Textiles

India’s automotive components industry grows up
3 August 2007 |
just-auto.com, UK

The Indian automotive components industry is rapidly gathering strength and becoming much more significant to the global auto industry according to research undertaken by auto industry website, just-auto.com.

The research highlights a massive influx of overseas technology and know-how since the Indian economy was deregulated in the 1990s and inward investment to India took off.

Many global companies looking to outsource to low-cost locations now view India more favourably than China as a source point for components.

There are a number of reasons for this: not least the issue of language.

All educated Indians speak fluent English, making communications easier.

Secondly, there is a good further education system in the country, leading to the high availability of well-trained engineers.

Thirdly, there is a strong manufacturing and engineering tradition in the country, which means that it is not difficult to upgrade local companies in terms of equipment, training and quality of output. Companies also tend to be entrepreneurial and willing to learn.

Finally, there is a very strong high-tech sector, making it attractive to outsource software development and R&D functions.

International Tier_1 suppliers are also becoming increasingly confident in India's ability to build more complex parts.

just-auto's report also notes that although it is now being addressed by the Indian government, Indian transport infrastructure is still poor. However, this is counterbalanced by India's excellent strategic location between Europe and Asia, allowing it almost equidistant access to both major markets.

The country's growth targets in terms of overall industry size and export value seem achievable, and the coming years are likely to see increased traffic between India and the rest of the world, in terms of inward investment into India and, increasingly, outward investment by large Indian companies in overseas manufacturing.

In the steel industry, Indian companies have taken a major global position through overseas acquisitions. Large Indian automotive firms such as Tata look set to follow, either through buying car brands or components companies.

India's position and influence in the global auto industry will undoubtedly keep on growing, the report concludes.

India's Wipro eyes acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Infocrossing
CNN Money, NY
August 03, 2007: 12:31 PM EST

BANGALORE, Aug. 3, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- India's third-biggest software exporter Wipro Ltd (NYSE:WIT) is looking to buy Nasdaq-listed Infocrossing Inc (NASDAQ:IFOX) , an outsourcing solutions company, according to a report on CNBC-TV 18 citing sources.

The television channel said the deal size is between 450-500 mln usd.

'We do not comment on market rumours,' a Wipro spokesperson told Thomson Financial.

Infocrossing, a provider of selective IT infrastructure , enterprise application and business process outsourcing services, reported first quarter revenues of 59.2 mln usd and forecast full year revenues of between 250-255 mln usd for 2007.

Last year, the Leonia, New Jersey-based IT company had posted revenues of 229.2 mln usd
Wipro closed at 470.25 Indian rupees, up 1.73 pct, on the Bombay (OTCBB:BBAO) Stock Exchange, while Infocrossing was trading up 6.34 pct at 18.15 usd.

Earlier, on July 20, the NYSE-listed Wipro's chief strategy officer Sudip Nandy had said the company is likely to make acquisitions in Germany in the price range of 60-70 mln eur.

On July 6, Wipro's consumer care and lightings unit agreed to buy Singapore-based Unza Holdings Ltd, a consumer goods manufacturer for about 246 mln usd in cash.

As on June 30, the company had cash and cash equivalents of 18.02 bln usd.

CII to launch 'Sustainable Cities' project in South India

Kochi, Aug 3 : Describing the development of 'Sustainable Cities' with improved habitation standards as crucial for India's growth, CII Southern Region Chairman Pradipta K Mohapatra today said the Confederation will launch several projects for this shortly.

Addressing a press conference here to announce the CII's initiatives for south India for 2007-08, Mr Mohapatra said under the head 'Sustainable Cities', CII was planning to develop a 'City Connect Project' in Karnataka in association with the Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission.

It would also commission a study on 'City Infrastructure' in Hyderabad. CII, Kerala, had already set up a task force for an 'Urban Kerala Mission', state CII Chairman Umang Patodia said.

Stating that the CII would like the southern states to synergise their development initiatives and learn from one another, Mr Mahapatra praised Tamil Nadu for developing its Tier II and III cities in a big way.

Similalry, lessons could be learnt from Kerala's success in tourism, Andhra Pradesh's strides in agro-based products, Karnataka's headway in innovation and Puducherry's initiatives for livelihood enhancement, he added.

Unveiling the CII's work plan for southern India, for 2007-08, entitled 'The Southern Leap Forward', Mr Mohapatra said the key focus of this would be on skills development and employability, affirmative action, promotion of sustainable cities, progress of less developed areas and corporate social responsibility.

As part of the affirmative action planned by CII, at least 2,000 SC/ST youth were to be trained in vocational skills in different southern states.

Stating that the CII would like to partner with the state governments in implementing the plan, Mr Mohapatra said he would meet Kerala Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan and other senior government officials tomorrow to see how the CII plan could be accomplished with the government's vision.

IT-ITES sector tapping revenue of US$ 50bn
2007-08-03 19:39:42
Source : Moneycontrol.com

NASSCOM and The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) today released ‘Innovation Report 2007’ which consists of findings for unleashing the innovative power of the Indian IT-ITES industry. The report addresses three aspects of the innovation agenda – the factors that form a powerful imperative for innovation; the approach for firms to spur innovation; and specific recommendations to expand the innovation ecosystem in India. It benchmarks the Indian innovation ecosystem with leading innovation ecosystems around the world, and outlines recommendations for developing India’s innovation ecosystem for the country to realize this multi-billion dollar opportunity.

Sharing findings of the report, Mr. Kiran Karnik, President, NASSCOM, said, “India has established itself as a distinguished leader on the world stage in the IT-ITES arena – Indian firms have successfully dominated the first two phases of evolution characterized by export led growth driven by factor arbitrage and gaining domain experience and superior delivery capabilities. However, the industry is now entering the third phase where Indian firms needs to recognize and act on the importance of ‘Innovation’ for maintaining their competitive edge and fuelling further growth to challenge global players. Traditional factors that led local firms through the first two phases are being fast eroded by rising factor costs, geographical and cultural affinity to other destinations, global firms building sizeable Indian capabilities, very few big Indian players and future governance and management challenges for firms if they follow the current linear expansion model.”

He added, “Focusing on innovation besides differentiating Indian IT-ITES industry will also allow it to tap additional revenue streams worth US$ 50 billion by 2012.”

“Innovation is the top priority for global corporations today—for growth, differentiation and leadership. If the Indian IT industry can further enhance its ability to service this top priority of global corporations, the market opportunity is inestimable. While the Indian IT-ITES industry has shown strong revenue growth over the years largely led by exports, investments in deep domain knowledge and IP creation would help fuel this growth story. To sustain high levels of growth, the industry needs to focus on cultivating and nurturing an ecosystem of innovation and institutionalize it. Be it process innovation, product innovation, business model innovation and the like, India is uniquely positioned to define that platform and set newer benchmarks both for the domestic and global IT industry,” said Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan, Chairman, NASSCOM.

Mr. James Abraham, Partner and Director, BCG commented, "Support from ecosystem is very important in making innovation at firm and country level successful. Relative to several international examples, Indian ecosystem is weak and requires significant bolstering. The study identifies specific initiatives which need to be undertaken by different stakeholders.

The report outlines several challenges faced by the Indian innovation ecosystem such as:

Insufficient mentoring and networking support for start-ups and entrepreneurs

Lack of entrepreneurs focused on IP development in emerging technologies

Lack of knowledge sharing between IT-ITES firms and key user industries

Severe lack of funding at the seed / start-up stage

No platforms for all stakeholders to interact with each other

No market-place for innovation trading in India

Tenuous partnership between industry and academia

Lack of meaningful collaborations between industry and research institutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom