What's new

Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip-search in NYC drew protests is indicted again

Albatross

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New York (CNN) -- The Indian diplomat whose arrest sparked a diplomatic row with India has again been indicted by the federal government and faces arrest if she returns to the United States, federal prosecutors said Friday.
Devyani Khobragade faces one count of visa fraud and one count of making false statements for allegedly lying on a visa application about how much she paid her housekeeper, according to the indictment filed in a Manhattan federal court Friday.

An arrest warrant also was issued, said Jerika Richardson, spokeswoman for the United States attorney's office for the Southern District of New York.

The fresh indictment comes just days after the original indictment against Khobragade was dismissed by a federal judge who agreed with her lawyers' assertion that she was protected under diplomatic immunity at the time of the first indictment.

Federal prosecutors signaled Monday that a new indictment was likely.

Khobragade, who left the United States in January, now works for the Indian Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi.

Her attorney, Daniel Arshack, declined comment Friday. "The government of India will respond in due course," he said in a statement.

She was originally arrested and strip-searched by federal agents in New York City in December 2013. On January 9, a federal grand jury indicted her on one count of visa fraud and one count of making false statements, the same charges she now faces.

Khobragade filed a motion to dismiss the charges, claiming she was "cloaked in diplomatic immunity at the time of her arrest," according to court documents.

A federal judge agreed on Monday, ruling that Khobragade was "appointed a Counselor to the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations, a position that cloaked her with full diplomatic immunity," according to court documents. She was appointed to that position on January 8, one day before her first indictment.

"Even if Khobragade had no immunity at the time of her arrest and has none now, her acquisition of immunity during the pendency of proceedings mandates dismissal," U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin wrote.

"The government may not proceed on an indictment obtained when Khobragade was immune from the jurisdiction of the court," Scheindlin ruled.

Arshack on Monday said Khobragade was pleased "the rule of law has prevailed."
Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip-search in NYC drew protests is indicted again - Worldnews.com
India's external affairs spokesman, Syed Akbaruddin, issued a statement then welcoming the ruling.

An entire Sentence for a thread Title ? :lol:
It was necessary to show how much "asian tiger" actually weighs in this world.

On the topic I guess India should have let her be in US to face the charges coz the way Indian Govt got her out of US after weeks of pleadings it looks as if she really was a culprit who not only under paid her servant but also threatened the servant and the whole poor family. That's not something "democratic and SECULAR" india should promote in a society which is already divided into multiple layers on the basis of religion and cast. I guess the family of the servant might have been dalits or someother low caste as there was not a single indian who took the side of that poor family . Being a nation of over 1 billion people Indians should be ashamed of the ways their society is built and is made to function.

:bunny: Now Indian a$$*s will burn and they will question the length of thread title and also why it was created and all the bullshit without acknowledging the sufferings of poor servants family.Such double standards have become an integral part of yindoos psyche and partly explain why yindoos are so smelly besides other reasons such as habitual of pooing on roads as there are not baths for most of the Incredible Indians .:dance3:

Verbal diarrhea ........... nothing worth responding to .

Yu were absolutely rights see the post#4 indians *** is already burning:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

See these pakistanis jumping up and down over nothing as if US indictment is going to have any impact ...... :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

Verbal diarrhea ........... nothing worth responding to .

You guys can start with acknowledging the suffering of poor servant and her family who were threatened by Indian state for standing up against the wrong doings of one of her officers and instead of addressing their sufferings the Indian state took the side of offender and surprisingly the whole Indian nation atleast the online warriors and media are with that crook and liar officer instead of the oppressed servants. Thats really really sad..

You guys can start with acknowledging the suffering of poor servant and her family who were threatened by Indian state for standing up against the wrong doings of one of her officers and instead of addressing their sufferings the Indian state took the side of offender and surprisingly the whole Indian nation atleast the online warriors and media are with that crook and liar officer instead of the oppressed servants. Thats really really sad..
These yindoos will never take the side of oppressed as that's what taught them in their religion and I guess the family of servant must be belonging to dalit caste and that explains it all...

It was necessary to show how much "asian tiger" actually weighs in this world.

On the topic I guess India should have let her be in US to face the charges coz the way Indian Govt got her out of US after weeks of pleadings it looks as if she really was a culprit who not only under paid her servant but also threatened the servant and the whole poor family. That's not something "democratic and SECULAR" india should promote in a society which is already divided into multiple layers on the basis of religion and cast. I guess the family of the servant might have been dalits or someother low caste as there was not a single indian who took the side of that poor family . Being a nation of over 1 billion people Indians should be ashamed of the ways their society is built and is made to function.

Accusation is not equivalent to proof.Is that how law and order is dealt with in your country?

Usual :blah: :blah: :blah:

These yindoos will never take the side of oppressed as that's what taught them in their religion and I guess the family of servant must be belonging to dalit caste and that explains it all...

Brain deads ...... It is the Khobragade who is a dalit not the servant who is a Christain .

There goes your BS theory down the drain ..... :rofl:

You seem to be quite knowledgeable when it comes to Hindu religious texts.Share your knowledge with us and quote the text where you got that.

Accusation is not equivalent to proof.Is that how law and order is dealt with in your country?
Don't know what is a proof in yr eyes.. The forged documents and the ordeal of the servant isnt enough ?
May be for you indians its normal who Mla's and their families are even involved in gruesome handling and servants killings.
Maid death: Probe reveals gruesome torture, Jagriti Singh arrested | Firstpost

May be for indians thats not enough but US govt wont indict her again had there been no proof..

Usual :blah: :blah: :blah:

Brain deads ...... It is the Khobragade who is a dalit not the servant who is a Christain .

Now I get it all .. Its hindus vs another religion in India ofcourse that servants family will never get justice..Thanks for clearing it all.. I am surprised how that servants family is still alive as the fanatics of bal thackery dont let anyone spea against the great Hindus in hindustan.

And it also explains now why indian media and all yu e warriors took diplomat's side.. Anyways I pray for that christian family's life.

The US political system has not influence on the courts, crying about the political elements in the US is kinda pointless

Don't know what is a proof in yr eyes.. The forged documents and the ordeal of the servant isnt enough ?

There is no proof that maid is telling the truth . She could well be lying to get citizenship .

May be for you indians its normal who Mla's and their families are even involved in gruesome handling and servants killings.
If you look up such deaths of maids can be found everywhere including Pakistan .

Does that mean it is normal in Pakistan .

May be for indians thats not enough but US govt wont indict her again had there been no proof..

She is in India now . So even if US courts indict her , US can't do $hit .

That is why I am telling you guys not to jump up and down embarrassing yourself over something that is not going to have any impact .

The US political system has not influence on the courts, crying about the political elements in the US is kinda pointless
That's right I don't see why US govt would want to frame an Indian diplomat on a false pretext when US infact wants to forge good relations with India. But US politics do influence courts as can be seen by the return of diplomat to india .This indictment again proves the resilience of US justice system I hope she would get strictest punishment one day if not by a judge by some other tragedy in life like loosing a limb permanently in some road accident.

Firstly, no proof that the court ratifies.Had there been conclusive proof, the matter would have been closed by now.

Secondly,quoting an entirely off topic matter as proof for something else? Is that the level of logic a typical Pakistani can provide ? What is it? Attention-Deficit disorder ?

Thirdly, where did you get the habit of taking every US action and opinion as absolute truth?Where does that serf mentality come from? Don't have mind and spine of your own?

Now I get it all .. Its hindus vs another religion in India ofcourse that servants family will never get justice..Thanks for clearing it all.. I am surprised how that servants family is still alive as the fanatics of bal thackery dont let anyone spea against the great Hindus in hindustan.

And it also explains now why indian media and all yu e warriors took diplomat's side.. Anyways I pray for that christian family's life.

Now that your first BS has been proven wrong , you have come up with another one .

I am quoting it so that people can read it and have a good laugh .... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom