What's new

Indian Civil Nuclear News & Discussions.

We need more power by 2020 our population will cross over china and we will have a huge demand for power and other resources hope they start going for more

3500,000MW - 400,000MW hmmm

Thats a lot........... comparing to Pakistan's energy demands expecting to grow upto 32,000MW - 35,000MW in 2020.

And the population of India is around 6.5/7 times higher than Pakistan. Well you can get an idea how good india has established in its industries where their energy demands are so high comparing to Pakistan thats about 10 times higher than Pakistan.

Great Job India

Because of the sheer size and the rate at which we are growing these numbers were expected...However what worries me is that even after putting so much behind this nuclear energy we would manage to generate only 10% of our needs...We really need to buckle up so that impact on environment with our growth is minimal...

Because of the sheer size and the rate at which we are growing these numbers were expected...However what worries me is that even after putting so much behind this nuclear energy we would manage to generate only 10% of our needs...We really need to buckle up so that impact on environment with our growth is minimal...

Govt. is also focussing on other renewable sources of energy like wind,solar etc.

National Solar mission

The programme, which figures as one of the eight missions in India’s National Action Plan on Climate Change, seeks to generate 20,000 MW of electricity through solar energy by the end of 13th Five-Year Plan in 2022.

PM launches National Solar Mission

Govt. is also focussing on other renewable sources of energy like wind,solar etc.

National Solar mission

PM launches National Solar Mission

See the demand by 2020 and the supply by non-polluting means...it is less than 15% of our total demand....and if we go by growth projections than this demand will increase many folds even after 2020...we really need to put our acts together otherwise it would be very difficult to cope up with our demands other than conventional way......I wish our thorium based reactors becomes a reality very soon...This would be a parallel mode of generating power and will help achieve targets as well as reduce the cost

Apart from 35000 MW of power generation from Nuclear Reactor by 2020 there are plans of 20000 MW of solar power generation and another135000 MW of Wind power generation by 2020. Looking at the plans, I can say for sure tha future in terms of power genration and moving away from power from fossil fuel is rosy for India.

Some calculations :

135000 MW + 35000 MW + 20000 MW = 190000 MW by 2020. That means almost 50% of the electricity demand by 2020 will be met by renewable energy sources.

Please check the article.

wind could-provide-quarter-of-indias-power-by-2030/

This gives me a hint that in next decade Energy sector Job market will be super hot in India and in countries dealing with India in energy sector. Time to move away from IT folks.. :cheers:

135000 MW of wind power might be too steep a target to achieve considering the present status.

However said, it definitely can be done if the technology is economical for individual household or clusters or SEZ or Malls to set them up.

Presently the cost is around 2-2.5 lakh INR per KW which if comes down to 50 - 60 k per KW, will make the proposition highly attractive.

Then again as the power will be intermittant and unpredictive, it will need supplement from grid or may need uploading connection to grid. This makes the system a bit more complicated.

Until and unless we can take the proliferation of these technologies to the household levels, achieving the said target will be challenging.

:smitten::cheers:

Apart from 35000 MW of power generation from Nuclear Reactor by 2020 there are plans of 20000 MW of solar power generation and another135000 MW of Wind power generation by 2020. Looking at the plans, I can say for sure tha future in terms of power genration and moving away from power from fossil fuel is rosy for India.

Some calculations :

135000 MW + 35000 MW + 20000 MW = 190000 MW by 2020. That means almost 50% of the electricity demand by 2020 will be met by renewable energy sources.

Please check the article.

wind could-provide-quarter-of-indias-power-by-2030/

This gives me a hint that in next decade Energy sector Job market will be super hot in India and in countries dealing with India in energy sector. Time to move away from IT folks.. :cheers:

Wow....thnxs for sharing the article....This line simply brought me to a standstill for a second...

The advanced scenario would see wind employment rise to 57,700 by 2010, 177,000 by 2020 and 213,500 jobs by 2030.

This is awesome....Yes you are right its not going to be just IT....though it gives an inclination how much we could have tapped had me moved to such renewable sources earlier....Anyways nuclear deal directly/indirectly did gave a big push to all other forms of renewable sources of energy...I indeed will spend the rest of day in peace...

Thanks once again.!!!!

Also there is a project called ITER(Int. Thermo Nuclear Reactor).If succesful this will provide unlimited quantity of cheap energy and solve the problem of energy supply forever.And India is one of the countries participating.

The Project

Scientists from all over the world have come together in ITER to work toward a lofty goal: harness the energy produced by the fusion of atoms to help meet mankind's future energy needs.

ITER is a large-scale scientific experiment intended to prove the viability of fusion as an energy source, and to collect the data necessary for the design and subsequent operation of the first electricity-producing fusion power plant.

Launched as an idea for international collaboration in 1985, the ITER Agreement includes China, the European Union, India, Japan, Korea, Russia and the United States, representing over half of the world's population.

http://www.iter.org/proj/Pages/Default.aspx

http://www.newstatesman.com/environment/2009/11/fusion-reactor-iter-energy

135000 MW of wind power might be too steep a target to achieve considering the present status.

However said, it definitely can be done if the technology is economical for individual household or clusters or SEZ or Malls to set them up.

Presently the cost is around 2-2.5 lakh INR per KW which if comes down to 50 - 60 k per KW, will make the proposition highly attractive.

Then again as the power will be intermittant and unpredictive, it will need supplement from grid or may need uploading connection to grid. This makes the system a bit more complicated.

Until and unless we can take the proliferation of these technologies to the household levels, achieving the said target will be challenging.

Kallol, I agree with you achieving 135000 MW wind power is a huge task. But I think this is one of the area where Private sector can be easily accomodated as there is not going to be any restrictions unlike nuclear energy.

I know initial setup of Wind farms etc is going to be costly but think about it if done in volumes we can reduce the cost. I think Indian govt will pitch in with some incentives as well.

Also the cost of conventional electicity is increasing day by day on the other hand cost of renewable source electricity is decreasing.

Solar panels are becoming cost effective and production of panels have been started in India. Also a Spanish wind turbine manufacturing company has started its operations in India by setting up a subsidiary Gamesa Wind Turbines Pvt Ltd. This will reduce the cost of equipments further reducing the cost of electrcity produced.

Indian govt is activily promoting wind power genration and as part of it India is hosting Global WindPower 2010 this year that will help indian company to further collaborate with other successful organisations in this field.

I wanted to add one more thing India has started work is working with Bhutan to setup Hydro projects that will produce 10000 MW hydropower by 2020. The agreement was signed by Bhutan's king in Dec last year

Bhutan to produce hydro power for India - dnaindia.com

Wow....thnxs for sharing the article....This line simply brought me to a standstill for a second...

The advanced scenario would see wind employment rise to 57,700 by 2010, 177,000 by 2020 and 213,500 jobs by 2030.

This is awesome....Yes you are right its not going to be just IT....though it gives an inclination how much we could have tapped had me moved to such renewable sources earlier....Anyways nuclear deal directly/indirectly did gave a big push to all other forms of renewable sources of energy...I indeed will spend the rest of day in peace...

Thanks once again.!!!!

You are most welcome Raj!

One more thing, I missed to include Hydro power in my previous estimates. India is helping Bhutan to setup hydro projects that will generate 10000 MW of hydro energy for India by 2020.

I completely agree with you what we could have tapped much more had we started early. But I believe technology was not cheaper for us to afford till recent past. Thats past let us be optimistic about our future. For Wind power generation, I think we are not in a position for advanced scenario but atleast we can target moderate scenario and that will be quite an achievement.

What are the potential sources of power for India in the non-conventional areas :

1. Solar - going forward this will be dominant as GoI has alsready started pumping in money and bringing in laws to be followed mandatorily. Actually covering Thar itself will suffice India for sometime !!. Actually Europe is partially covering Sahara for itself.

2. Wind - Till now it is bought by GoI and the after sales services and logistics to connect to the grid are proving to be challenging. Imagine a 40-50 tonne load at a height of 80 -100 m which needs to be handled in remote places for services. Plenty of ideas are coming up including Maglev technology to make the turbine more efficient. VAWT ad HAWT are still being developed for different power levels and hopefully, we will be able to bring the prices down to masses.

3. Tidal / wave - Let's see how Kalpasar project in Gulf of Cambay runs. This should lead to some more similar but smaller projects. The coastline being huge, the potential is there to be tapped. A small pilot was also built in Kerala, which is still running and producing fresh water out of sea water.

4. Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion system : A pilot was tested for 1 MW gross power off Tuticorin. No further development was there as the cost vs return needs more time to be fruitful. It uses the sea bottom temp of 7 deg cent and surface temp of 29 deg cent to produce power.

5. ITER : Still some way to go - nothing before 2050

6. Nuclear - Hopefully with the signing of agreements this will be around 10% by 2025.

7. Thorium : Best potential but can accelerate only after 2025-2030. Only by then enough fuel will be ready

8. Gas Hydrate : The potential as per survey is exciting. The technology to extract is still not there commercially in the world. India is developing technologies towards that

There are some others but these are the majors.

Ofcourse with all these we need to keep a close watch on the ecological and environmental effect which is very crucial. Every action has and equal and opposite reaction. We need to be careful and watchful about the reaction part - how, when and where it will be affecting. The minimal deviation from natural phenomenon - the better it is.

All Indian civilian nuclear news goes here please - do not clutter the rest of the forum with multiple threads - which also applies to all the sticky's in the India Defence section

We missed on Geothermal Energy. Now some information on this.

In India, exploration and study of geothermal fields started in 1970. The GSI (Geological Survey of India) has identified 350 geothermal energy locations in the country. The most promising of these is in Puga valley of Ladakh. The estimated potential for geothermal energy in India is about 10000 MW.

There are seven geothermal provinces in India : the Himalayas, Sohana, West coast, Cambay, Son-Narmada-Tapi (SONATA), Godavari, and Mahanadi.
The important sites being explored in India are shown in the map of India (Figure 2) .

4849382f823ac15ffc73a8256d2d0837.gif

Indian organisations working in geothermal energy:

Central Electricity Authority
Geological Survey of India
Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
Regional Research Laboratory, Jammu
National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, Dehradun

Ongoing Projects in India:

Magneto-telluric investigations in Tattapani geothermal area in Madhya Pradesh
Magneto-telluric investigations in Puga geothermal area in Ladakh region, Jammu & Kashmir

Achievements:

Geothermal Atlas of India, prepared by the Geological Survey of India(GSI) gives information/data for more than 300 geothermal potential sites. This Atlas is being updated by GSI with the support from MNES.
Applications of geothermal energy for small-scale power generation and thermal applications are being explored.

The Hindu : News : New nuclear reactor sites

Nuclear power reactors of 700 MWe capacity each will come up at two new inland sites – at Kumharia in Haryana and Bargi in Madhya Pradesh.

These reactors will be indigenous Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) that will use natural uranium as fuel and heavy water as both moderator and coolant.

The Union government has also approved building imported reactors of a minimum of 1,000 MWe each at Chhayamithi Virdi in Gujarat, Kovvada in Andhra Pradesh and Haripur in West Bengal.

These reactors will use enriched uranium as fuel and light water as both coolant and moderator.

All these reactors will be built by the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL). Its officials said pre-project activities such as estimation of the land required and land acquisition were on in the five sites. Ground-break (excavation of the earth) for erecting the foundation in the five sites would take place in 2012.

The sixth reactor at Rawatbhata in Rajasthan was connected to the grid on Sunday. It is an indigenous PHWR of 220 MWe capacity. It reached first criticality in January. Power from this plant will be shared by the northern States.
Twenty reactors

There are 20 nuclear power reactors, including this reactor, operational in the country now and their total capacity is 4,560 MWe.

Four more reactors are expected to be commissioned in a couple of years. They include two Russian reactors of 1,000 MWe each at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu, the Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor of 500 MWe at Kalpakkam, also in Tamil Nadu and the fourth PHWR (220 MWe) at Kaiga in Karnataka.

The Kaiga reactor will be commissioned in a few months from now.

In addition, work is on for building four indigenous PHWRs — two each of 700 MWe capacity at Rawatbhata and Kakrapara in Gujarat. These reactors will be started up in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom