What's new

Indian Army's Emergency procurement of Spike ATGM.

I had thought before that Indians are good business people. After joined PDF, I realized that Indians are penny wise, pound foolish. This saga with spike is another example to solidify my view of Indians.
My views on Chinese bots never changed. :enjoy: They are as fool and ignorant as they are known to be.

Election Funding?
Procurement do not make any significant influence on voters. It's too technical for average citizen to know the advantage and disadvantage. Or to say, they don't care.

Just 290? Great, shows that MPATGM is progressing and army is fully satisfied with its capabilities :D

Israelis!!! and all the others are now aggressively exploiting inDians real fear of its adversary? Truth is here as hard indians reject it

this whole saga feels like a racket run by powers, on India it has to pay and keep these powers on its side? At all cost.

Something is not right about this. Spike were initially rejected, but why they are going for an emergency purchase of the same guided missile system?

@randomradio

Spike was rejected during trials for a much larger order of an older generation. This order was meant for use in all geographic areas in India. And where it specifically failed trials was in desert areas.

But the new Spike order is for a very small batch, is a generation ahead, and will likely be used in much cooler areas. Of course, if this next gen Spike works well in the desert, you can expect the negotiations for the old Spike to be cancelled in exchange for the new Spike.

Election Funding?

The army is buying it using its own funds. Also BJP has no issue with funds, they get a lot of donations.

With the recent blunders from Indian forces.. Example: friendly fire, burning your own marksman sniper, premature ejection..

Stop spending money on expensive toys, use your Diwali firecrackers. I am serious. Try experimenting on something small then go big.

New Delhi: The Israeli Spike anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) is a weapon system the Indian army has been looking for, particularly to protect its infantrymen and then, its tanks against enemy armour. Now, after months of waiting, the Army will get its first consignment-- a small one, though-- of the Spike.

The Rs 280 crore deal gets the Army 210 missiles and 12 launchers with delivery expected soon.

While that deal related to a weapon-system that was 'third-generation,' this purchase is of a new, 'fourth-generation' missile with superior performance. The Emergency Purchase provision was used primarily because such purchases during the time of elections are usually more difficult. The Spike is likely to be effective against reactive armour; the 4 km range is also a positive.

Of course, it is a small order. But if the Spike proves to be effective, a larger order could happen in the future.
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/...ded-missiles-under-emergency-purchases/400825
The price and number of units do not correlate, something does not seem right

Last edited:
this was reported in dec 18....

India is reportedly planning to scrap a $500 million deal to purchase Spike anti-tank missiles from Israeli defense contractor Rafael, in what would be New Delhi’s second time abandoning the half-billion dollar arms deal.

The Israeli business daily The Marker on Sunday said Indian officials have requested the Spike missiles produced by government-owned Rafael Advanced Defense Systems undergo additional testing next year, saying the weapon’s infrared system has failed to withstand high temperatures in previous rounds of testing. The Indian military is reportedly concerned about the missiles’ performance in hot, desert conditions.

I dont want to get into the technical evaluation aspect of it. If the army has asked for an emergency purchase which comes from its own capex, I believe there must be a reason behind it.

Back
Top Bottom