What's new

Indian Army Tanks vs Pakistan Army Tanks : Who would win?

Electrifying.

This post, and that earlier posted by @Tipu7, ought to be framed in gold, and any member wishing to take part in discussions of this sort - Pakistan Army, Indian Army, armoured forces, doctrine, strategy and practical constraints, the scenarios possible today, additional scenarios tomorrow - should be asked to qualify through a short quiz on the material.

My sincere and deep respect to you both.
Sadly, people of the subcontinent ( majority , not all ) would instead of making assessments based on facts would just start making up facts and try to make themselves look better than others.
These trolls , this mindset was why a tiny island nation occupied all of us in the past.
No rather they'd say " tejas trash " and the other respond " terrorist American slave "
You people and your discussions which are actually based on facts are why i come to this forum

Sadly, people of the subcontinent ( majority , not all ) would instead of making assessments based on facts would just start making up facts and try to make themselves look better than others.
These trolls , this mindset was why a tiny island nation occupied all of us in the past.
No rather they'd say " tejas trash " and the other respond " terrorist American slave "
You people and your discussions which are actually based on facts are why i come to this forum

PLEASE look up the earlier post by @Tipu7, that complements this so well. Both are such bliss to read, oases in the desert. If you do not relish it, I shall eat my hat, even if I have to buy one to do so.

PLEASE look up the earlier post by @Tipu7, that complements this so well. Both are such bliss to read, oases in the desert. If you do not relish it, I shall eat my hat, even if I have to buy one to do so.
Haha don't, I did read it, I've been a silent spectator of this forum for alot of time.

What did you think of it?
I believe that indo pak armoured conflict in the future would involve too many variables unlike the past , where the tiger could slope it's armour and knock our t34 's from 3 km , yet these posts only show us the tip of the iceberg yet even that is as informative as a book

A dissolution of a nation-state; a complete substitution of the annexed nation's or annexed region's institutions by the annexing nation's institutions.

Nothing happened in 1971 to West Pakistan; that wasn't by accident.

I don't know what you think could have happened in 1984 to see it as a possibility of annexation.

Isolation as a rogue state does not mean annexation. Not at all.
Annexation literally is used for territory which is what happened in 1971 and 1984.
The same thing was done in Balochistan and Sindh (of course you would disagree).

@kahonapyarhai

Going down the comparison lane of an MBT vs MBT will still leave lots of doubts in head. You can dig deep into the threads of information on various type of MBT's and have a look yourself. As soon as AK is discussed, it will be immediately compared with T-90 and when AZ is discussed a query will rise about its performance against T-72 or T-90. Many members have in mind that AK will just pulverize T-72's and slice them like knife through warm butter or maybe only T-90 can give a tough time to AK, specifications can make anybody think like that. Lesser armor, poor auto loader, smaller engine, no night fighting capability, ERA or no ERA, active CM's or not...everything can be and has been compensated through training over and over again, through discipline, through ethics of maintaining an MBT, through understanding the MBT by driving , firing, loading, reloading, repairing, taking orders under pressure and i'm talking about both armies. These armies are not western armies with almost perfect and up to date weaponry, with almost flawless procedures and contingencies in place for handling weapons. In PA and IA, if a JCO has to take his medal-riddled decorated uniform shirt off to clean an MBT for an inspection, he will not think twice and make a rag out of that shirt which holds his name, rank, medals and formation sign; the most proudest achievements of his life.

Some members satisfy themselves by insisting on a 1 on 1 scenario to prove that a certain MBT is better than the other, such a scenario will be very very rare. Two lone tanks meeting each other miles away from all the action? away from their unit? do you know what that concludes? Either they are deserters or very bad navigators. Military condemns both and trains its soldiers to give best output. This scenario reflects badly on their respective Troop leader, squadron commander, 2IC, CO, their regiment and the Military they represent. Getting cut off from your formation is considered a liability which no one would want on himself.

1965, Pakistan Army's 1st Armored Division landed in an ambush set-up by IA infantry and lost many MBT's. The lack of Pakistani infantry support was cited as a cause. But- Pakistan Army's lone regiment, 25 Cavalry, thwarted IA's 1st Armored Division's attack without any infantry. Do you see what I'm trying to say? In Khem Karan scenario, infantry was seen inevitable for success, however no one talked about infantry in Chawinda because the MBT's of 25 Cavalry stood on their own.

Its the deployment of assets. Its the training regimen. Its the field commander's leadership. Its the soldier's morale.

Both PA and IA have formidable MBT's, they may have differences in specifications and armor but they have mobility, fire power and protection which qualifies them as MBT's. It now depends upon their function and deployment in operational combat by their respective armies. Indian Army following the CSD doctrine will use IBG's consisting of Armor and Mechanised infantry armed with T-72/90 and BMP-2 to penetrate different locations inside Pakistan whereas Pakistan Army will use its MBT's to find a soft spot in Indian Army's lines and exploit it to tilt the tide in its favor. For PA, it will be undesirable to lose MBT's in a defensive posture as its the main offensive weapon which is supposed to cross over into Indian territory. Now, IA enjoys this luxury. Since IA has a large inventory of MBT's as well as a large reserve also, IA can use this weapon with much more flexibility than PA. If PA loses a few regiments of T-80 and AK, it will have to go on defensive in the desert. No other PA MBT currently has mobility in the desert which fits the combat doctrine perfectly for a commander commanding a formation in the desert. T-85 III's have been seen training in semi-desert areas many times. T-85 III could be a last resort used by PA to fill in the gaps, but the desert area is quite huge, its not just a chunk, its a massive piece of land. For this reason PA is willing to use AH-1 Gunships and UCAV's to cover this land. PAF has made a new base close to the desert also. If IA infiltrates with lets suppose 4 x armor formations, brigade sized, just in Sindh, the whole 5-Corps will spring into action and will remain engaged for the rest of the war. In order to avoid using the strike elements of 5-Corps such as 25th Mechanised Div, PA will use infantry formations to hold intersections, Aviation to seek out and destroy IA armor in hit and run tactics and keep MBT's in reserve to counter-attack the flanks of Indian advance or just go after the supply lines to halt the advance and dry the Indian armor of ammo and fuel. If all else fails, PA might use tactical nukes to thwart further pouring of Indian Army into Pakistani territory. Once the Indian formation is tied down (whether conventionally or through use of nuclear weapon), then Pakistan Army will try to infiltrate and hold any area inside Indian territory to engage the main Indian thrust which maybe division sized or Corps sized. This is the main aim of Pakistan Army in any case, to not let India cross into Pakistan and keep the battle on the Indian side.

Facing each other, the MBT's will score direct hits or lucky hits, using any type of ammunition, whether ATGM's firing from long range, AP rounds at decent range or even HEAT rounds at very short ranges (if out of AP rounds). The Army which wins a skirmish will need to re-collect itself again and carry on the attack, which will be very difficult without reinforcements. Damaged MBT's may take hours and days to get fixed. The more an Army advances into enemy territory, the stiffer the resistance will become. PA and IA specialize in defensive postures, unfortunately, to my disappointment at least. AK will destroy T-72, T-90 and Arjun ; and vice versa. Nether AK nor Arjun is invincible. How their respective armies cover their weaknesses and bring forth their strengths is whats to be seen. Once PA starts losing its main MBT's, then even T-72's will be seen a formidable threat against T-59 II and it will become a numbers game. PA has roughly 300 upgraded M-48 in reserve, IA has roughly 1000 MBT in reserve. So overall, IA carries edge in numbers of MBT's. Expecting upgraded M-48's to face T-90 or T-72 will again be asking too much from the Pattons. It is very much expected from PA to use a mix of MBT, ATGM equipped APC, SAM's gunships and small number of artillery to delay advance of IA armor or lure it towards entrenched PA infantry. Its further expected that PA will use ATGM teams to stop Indian Armor attacks instead of committing strike formations unless necessary.

Pakistan is also looking for a newer MBT, OPlot or VT-4. Both are great MBT's and PA conducts strenuous tests with high standards for induction of MBT's. The comparison of these two MBT's have been discussed to death on different threads. The induction of any one of these MBT's will add a much needed punch for PA armor. AK-II is also in the making and once inducted should be able to take over the mainstay MBT role for PA. This will make finally solve the constant problem of using different types of MBT's by PA. AK-II will be able to take on any MBT in IA inventory. The reserve problem of PA will also get solved. Al-Zarrar MBT is under estimated; if looked closely it carries a very effective cannon 125mm, it is aptly armored and the engine has also been upgraded. The only drawback is its size limitation which hinders installation of a bigger engine for excellent mobility, although current mobility with 730 hp engine is decent. T-59's and T-69's are in retirement stage and will prove handy in infantry formations with good fire support characteristics through L-7 gun.

While T-90 seems to have formed the mainstay of IA, Arjun II should be able to take over this role in the future, although it depends upon Army's interest in Arjun since T-90 is a promising candidate in fulfilling all kinds of roles required by IA. The induction of K-9 SP Artillery is another major step in modernizing IA Armor punch. It plugs a gap which has been evident since decades. AH-64 is an excellent anti-armor platform, if it compliments the IA Armor contingent either in defending territory or advancing inside Pakistan, the much needed attack helicopter cover will be suitably solved. BMP-2 is already a capable IFV-APC with fire support role while transporting troops. Its not just the MBT, but all these supporting factors make IA Armor capability a force to reckon with.

@Ulla @Tipu7

@Joe Shearer
This type of post keeps me glued to pdf for a decade now.attempted leaving pdf 1000 times but post like this pulls me back.
Thank you frend for such a educative post

Sir can u guide me to the post..plz

@kahonapyarhai

Going down the comparison lane of an MBT vs MBT will still leave lots of doubts in head. You can dig deep into the threads of information on various type of MBT's and have a look yourself. As soon as AK is discussed, it will be immediately compared with T-90 and when AZ is discussed a query will rise about its performance against T-72 or T-90. Many members have in mind that AK will just pulverize T-72's and slice them like knife through warm butter or maybe only T-90 can give a tough time to AK, specifications can make anybody think like that. Lesser armor, poor auto loader, smaller engine, no night fighting capability, ERA or no ERA, active CM's or not...everything can be and has been compensated through training over and over again, through discipline, through ethics of maintaining an MBT, through understanding the MBT by driving , firing, loading, reloading, repairing, taking orders under pressure and i'm talking about both armies. These armies are not western armies with almost perfect and up to date weaponry, with almost flawless procedures and contingencies in place for handling weapons. In PA and IA, if a JCO has to take his medal-riddled decorated uniform shirt off to clean an MBT for an inspection, he will not think twice and make a rag out of that shirt which holds his name, rank, medals and formation sign; the most proudest achievements of his life.

Some members satisfy themselves by insisting on a 1 on 1 scenario to prove that a certain MBT is better than the other, such a scenario will be very very rare. Two lone tanks meeting each other miles away from all the action? away from their unit? do you know what that concludes? Either they are deserters or very bad navigators. Military condemns both and trains its soldiers to give best output. This scenario reflects badly on their respective Troop leader, squadron commander, 2IC, CO, their regiment and the Military they represent. Getting cut off from your formation is considered a liability which no one would want on himself.

1965, Pakistan Army's 1st Armored Division landed in an ambush set-up by IA infantry and lost many MBT's. The lack of Pakistani infantry support was cited as a cause. But- Pakistan Army's lone regiment, 25 Cavalry, thwarted IA's 1st Armored Division's attack without any infantry. Do you see what I'm trying to say? In Khem Karan scenario, infantry was seen inevitable for success, however no one talked about infantry in Chawinda because the MBT's of 25 Cavalry stood on their own.

Its the deployment of assets. Its the training regimen. Its the field commander's leadership. Its the soldier's morale.

Both PA and IA have formidable MBT's, they may have differences in specifications and armor but they have mobility, fire power and protection which qualifies them as MBT's. It now depends upon their function and deployment in operational combat by their respective armies. Indian Army following the CSD doctrine will use IBG's consisting of Armor and Mechanised infantry armed with T-72/90 and BMP-2 to penetrate different locations inside Pakistan whereas Pakistan Army will use its MBT's to find a soft spot in Indian Army's lines and exploit it to tilt the tide in its favor. For PA, it will be undesirable to lose MBT's in a defensive posture as its the main offensive weapon which is supposed to cross over into Indian territory. Now, IA enjoys this luxury. Since IA has a large inventory of MBT's as well as a large reserve also, IA can use this weapon with much more flexibility than PA. If PA loses a few regiments of T-80 and AK, it will have to go on defensive in the desert. No other PA MBT currently has mobility in the desert which fits the combat doctrine perfectly for a commander commanding a formation in the desert. T-85 III's have been seen training in semi-desert areas many times. T-85 III could be a last resort used by PA to fill in the gaps, but the desert area is quite huge, its not just a chunk, its a massive piece of land. For this reason PA is willing to use AH-1 Gunships and UCAV's to cover this land. PAF has made a new base close to the desert also. If IA infiltrates with lets suppose 4 x armor formations, brigade sized, just in Sindh, the whole 5-Corps will spring into action and will remain engaged for the rest of the war. In order to avoid using the strike elements of 5-Corps such as 25th Mechanised Div, PA will use infantry formations to hold intersections, Aviation to seek out and destroy IA armor in hit and run tactics and keep MBT's in reserve to counter-attack the flanks of Indian advance or just go after the supply lines to halt the advance and dry the Indian armor of ammo and fuel. If all else fails, PA might use tactical nukes to thwart further pouring of Indian Army into Pakistani territory. Once the Indian formation is tied down (whether conventionally or through use of nuclear weapon), then Pakistan Army will try to infiltrate and hold any area inside Indian territory to engage the main Indian thrust which maybe division sized or Corps sized. This is the main aim of Pakistan Army in any case, to not let India cross into Pakistan and keep the battle on the Indian side.

Facing each other, the MBT's will score direct hits or lucky hits, using any type of ammunition, whether ATGM's firing from long range, AP rounds at decent range or even HEAT rounds at very short ranges (if out of AP rounds). The Army which wins a skirmish will need to re-collect itself again and carry on the attack, which will be very difficult without reinforcements. Damaged MBT's may take hours and days to get fixed. The more an Army advances into enemy territory, the stiffer the resistance will become. PA and IA specialize in defensive postures, unfortunately, to my disappointment at least. AK will destroy T-72, T-90 and Arjun ; and vice versa. Nether AK nor Arjun is invincible. How their respective armies cover their weaknesses and bring forth their strengths is whats to be seen. Once PA starts losing its main MBT's, then even T-72's will be seen a formidable threat against T-59 II and it will become a numbers game. PA has roughly 300 upgraded M-48 in reserve, IA has roughly 1000 MBT in reserve. So overall, IA carries edge in numbers of MBT's. Expecting upgraded M-48's to face T-90 or T-72 will again be asking too much from the Pattons. It is very much expected from PA to use a mix of MBT, ATGM equipped APC, SAM's gunships and small number of artillery to delay advance of IA armor or lure it towards entrenched PA infantry. Its further expected that PA will use ATGM teams to stop Indian Armor attacks instead of committing strike formations unless necessary.

Pakistan is also looking for a newer MBT, OPlot or VT-4. Both are great MBT's and PA conducts strenuous tests with high standards for induction of MBT's. The comparison of these two MBT's have been discussed to death on different threads. The induction of any one of these MBT's will add a much needed punch for PA armor. AK-II is also in the making and once inducted should be able to take over the mainstay MBT role for PA. This will make finally solve the constant problem of using different types of MBT's by PA. AK-II will be able to take on any MBT in IA inventory. The reserve problem of PA will also get solved. Al-Zarrar MBT is under estimated; if looked closely it carries a very effective cannon 125mm, it is aptly armored and the engine has also been upgraded. The only drawback is its size limitation which hinders installation of a bigger engine for excellent mobility, although current mobility with 730 hp engine is decent. T-59's and T-69's are in retirement stage and will prove handy in infantry formations with good fire support characteristics through L-7 gun.

While T-90 seems to have formed the mainstay of IA, Arjun II should be able to take over this role in the future, although it depends upon Army's interest in Arjun since T-90 is a promising candidate in fulfilling all kinds of roles required by IA. The induction of K-9 SP Artillery is another major step in modernizing IA Armor punch. It plugs a gap which has been evident since decades. AH-64 is an excellent anti-armor platform, if it compliments the IA Armor contingent either in defending territory or advancing inside Pakistan, the much needed attack helicopter cover will be suitably solved. BMP-2 is already a capable IFV-APC with fire support role while transporting troops. Its not just the MBT, but all these supporting factors make IA Armor capability a force to reckon with.

@Ulla @Tipu7

@Joe Shearer
To be exact Paf has made 3 bases near desert in last 10 years and 1 of them is UAV base which is as of now under construction.

Pakistani tanks stand no chance against indian t-90 but war of tanks is over now.this is modern day warfare and I don't think that Pakistan needs tanks.pakistan should buy more attack helicopters and atgms.

Can you link the above mentioned post? I missed it. I was inactive from 2016-late 2017.

Can you link the above mentioned post? I missed it. I was inactive from 2016-late 2017.

Will get back to you. Tried searching for it but it didn't turn up on the search. Let me dig a little more.

@Army research

Sir can u guide me to the post..plz

This is tragic. I was asked by two other members to point me at that post by @Tipu7, and I couldn't find it.
Please could you help?

Sorry for the trouble.

Will get back to you. Tried searching for it but it didn't turn up on the search. Let me dig a little more.

@Army research

This is tragic. I was asked by two other members to point me at that post by @Tipu7, and I couldn't find it.
Please could you help?

Sorry for the trouble.
No problem sir i will wait...thnx

@Army research

Please could you help?

Sorry for the trouble.
I tried to find it again but couldn't, but I remember it in detail.

What's gonna be interesting in indo pak scenario is when effective active protection systems are fielded.
It will make alot of variables null and would change the dynamics significantly

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom