What's new

Indian Army chief to visit Sri Lanka over bilateral defence cooperation.

Sri Lanka must be upset about the quality of Chinese power plants operating in their country -

Sri Lanka extends daily power cut as Chinese plant fails again

(Reuters) - Sri Lanka's state-run power firm said on Monday it had extended nation-wide daily power cuts by a fortnight due to repeated technical problems at a Chinese-built power plant which has knocked out almost a fifth of the island's generating capacity.

The extended power cuts come as Sri Lanka has lost almost 85 percent of its hydro power generation capacity due to a drought.

Sri Lanka imposed power cuts in July for the first time since 2001 after the Chinese-built coal power plant at Norochcholai failed for a fifth time since it was commissioned in March last year.

The state-run Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) later repaired the 300 megawatt (MW) plant, but another technical failure has forced the utility to again turn off electricity for two hours and 15 minutes daily.

"In our opinion, it has not been performing up to the standards and up to the expected level," Anura Wijepala, CEB's deputy head told reporters referring to the country's only coal-fired power plant.

"Unfortunately all our efforts to restore Norochcholai power plant have not been successful. It needs about two weeks shut down for the repairs."

China has loaned $450 million for the first phase of the coal plant and another $891 million for the second phase, which is due to be completed by July 2014 when the plant is expected to generate 900 MW.

With the coal plant failure, Sri Lanka has lost 17 percent of its capacity to meet peak demand of 1.79 gigawatts (GW), CEB said.

In January, CEB's Technological Engineers Union blamed a Chinese firm for repeated technical failures at Norochcholai, say they were either caused by sabotage or negligence by the operator.

Sri Lanka has long maintained uninterrupted power supply, one of its main pledges to voters and investors, except in 1996 and 2001/2 when it endured power cuts due to severe droughts.

On Friday, Sri Lanka's Power and Energy Minister Champika Ranawake told the parliament that the power shortages could worsen if annual monsoon rains do not arrive by mid September.

Sri Lanka has total electricity generating capacity of 3.1 GW, but hydro power's normal output of 1.2 GW has been cut by more than 1 GW due to the latest drought.

(Editing by Jeremy Laurence)

I thought only decades-old power plants in India fail but the Chinese plant commissioned only less than 1 year ago (date as per article) failed 5 times in a row:cheesy: Speaks volumes about the "quality" of chinese products, lolz.

Oh learned pandit with 668 posts and counting... !! What did I know that a newbie like me who has modest post counts is not to speak what is true :D Live... your deluded life .

There is no truth in your post then how come you justified it. I am from TN I knows those details well than you , here many people discussed that topic to death if you have time see those topics otherwise just stay away.

there should be no cooperation with sri lanka whatsoever especially on defence our cooperation with sri lanka should be limited to building houses‚ hospitals etc for tamil people living there thats it

i dont think evrybody who come to srilanka will be the chief guest for the passing out parade of the srilanka millitary academy at diyatalwara..after all we've trained thousands of ur soldiers
General Bikram Singh headed for Sri Lanka to bolster bilateral military ties - The Times of India

No Indian military personnel involve in training in Diyathalawa, Sri Lanka. When some foreign high rank guest visits SL, they do visit this camp. I don't have any issue with military co-operating with India, better co-operation makes better understanding between both sides. (OP has targeted me with a @mention that's why I put a comment there.)

Sri Lanka must be upset about the quality of Chinese power plants operating in their country -

Sri Lanka extends daily power cut as Chinese plant fails again

I thought only decades-old power plants in India fail but the Chinese plant commissioned only less than 1 year ago (date as per article) failed 5 times in a row:cheesy: Speaks volumes about the "quality" of chinese products, lolz.

There is no power cuts in Sri Lanka. There was an issue with Chinese coal power plant, Chinese wanted to control but SL didn't allow them. There is some maintenance matter these days coal power plant is taken down for maintenance.

35x6p.jpg

L23UM.jpg

No Indian military personnel involve in training in Diyathalawa, Sri Lanka. When some foreign high rank guest visits SL, they do visit this camp. I don't have any issue with military co-operating with India, better co-operation makes better understanding between both sides. (OP has targeted me with a @mention that's why I put a comment there.)

never did i mention that they are trained in srilanka..

Tamilnadu people are too sensitive, than using brain they try to resolve matters by emotions. Even their leader once deported Sri Lankan school team. It's clearly shows her immaturity in politics.

Tamil Nadu, Kerala, And sri Lanka are made up of the same ppl .......try reading a book sometime....we just draw imaginary borders, incorporate different customs, religions, language, etc. but our DNA IS THE SAME.

India a superpower? Puhleeeze

China a superpower? GTFO?

Tamil Nadu, Kerala, And sri Lanka are made up of the same ppl .......try reading a book sometime....we just draw imaginary borders, incorporate different customs, religions, language, etc. but our DNA IS THE SAME.

How do you know DNA is same? :P We all are human race though.

India-Sri Lanka Defence ties: An appraisal

As Indian Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh lands in Colombo later today, he is certain to hear from his hosts about many unfufilled aspects of Indo-Sri Lanka Defence Cooperation.

One of the unfinished agendas between India and Sri Lanka is a formal Defence Cooperation Agreement (DCA), in discussion between the two countries since 2003.

Top Defence sources in both the capitals say most aspects of a formal pact have been agreed upon but domestic compulsions on either side have prevented the final signing of the DCA.

The lack of a formal defence cooperation pact has however not prevented the two countries from furthering their defence ties, opposition in Tamil Nadu to the presence of Sri Lankan military personnel in various Indian training institutions notwithstanding.

In fact, according to highly placed sources, the first ever platoon level combined military exercise between the two countries is currently underway at the Special Forces Training Centre at Nahan in Himachal Pradesh . Given the sensitivities involved, both the countries have however decided not to publicise the event.

This is not all.

Despite the political controversy that erupted in Tamil Nadu earlier this year, India continues to host and train a large number of Sri Lanka officers across the three armed forces. While it is a fact that China and Pakistan have incresed their military involvement with Sri Lanka in the past decade, India remains the preferred destination for training of Sri Lankan officers.

In 2011-12 for instance, 820 Sri Lankans undertook training in Indian Military Establishments. In the current year (2012-13), 870 officers are undergoing training in India. This includes two senior officers doing the presitigious National Defence College (NDSC) course in New Delhi.

Four Indian officers also do three different courses in Sri Lanka since 2010. While one officer each tarin at the Defence Services Staff College and the Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, two Indian Officers have been doing a course in the Special Operations & Jungle Warfare School in Sri Lanka since 2011.

New Delhi and Colombo also started a formal Annual Defence Dialogue (ADD) in Feberuary this year when Sri Lanka's Defence Secretary (in reality, Defence Minister) the all-powerful Gotabaya Rajapakse held talks with India's defence secretary Shashikant Sharma in New Delhi. The next round of this dialogue is slated for February 2013 in Colombo.

Last year (2011) also saw the initiation of the Army to Army Staff Talks between the two countries. Held again this year, these talks between the two armies actually finalises the training and exchnage visit schedules.

In February 2009, India also helped Sri Lanka open its Miltary Intelligence School in Kandy. A 10-strong Indian Army Training Team (IATT) has a mandate to be stationed in Sri Lanka till December 2013.

Although India has steadfastly maintained its policy (at least in public) about not supplying offensive military hardware to Sri Lanka, it has quietly decided to extend a 100 million dollars credit line to Colombo for purchase of non-lethal weapons.

In fact since 2000, India has supplied 24 L-70 anti-aircraft guns, 11 USFM radars, 10 Mine Protected Vehices and 24 Battlefield Surveillance Radars to Sri Lanka.

Ever since the military defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in May 2009, New Delhi and Colombo have tried to reset their defence relationship, trying to iron out differences brought about by the Tamil factor.

Gen Bikram Singh's four-day visit is but one step forward in that direction.

NewsWarrior: India-Sri Lanka Defence ties: An appraisal

Back
Top Bottom