What's new

Indian armed forces mulling three joint commands

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Armed-forces.jpg

NEW DELHI: Indian armed forces are now finally mulling the creation of three new unified commands to effectively tackle the rapidly expanding security threats and challenges in the fields of space, cyberspace and special operations.

The brass of Army, Navy and IAF are "informally'' discussing the "contours'' of the cyber, aerospace and special operations commands, which will synergize efforts and assets of the three services in these "critical areas'', sources said.

Once the "formal joint proposal'' of the three Services is finalized, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne will take it up with the government in his capacity as the chairman of the chiefs of staff committee. In fact, the "urgent need'' for the three new commands is likely to come up during the Combined Commanders' Conference to be addressed by the Prime Minister on October 19.

The prevalent view is that a three-star Army officer (Lt General) should head the Special Operations Command, while an equivalent rank from IAF (Air Marshal) can steer the Aerospace Command. The Cyber Command, in turn, will be headed by a Vice-Admiral from the Navy.

This means the commanders-in-chief of the three new commands will "not be rotated'' among the Army, Navy and IAF. India's two existing tri-Service commands - the Strategic Forces Command and the Andaman & Nicobar Command - as well as the integrated defence staff follow a "rotational'' policy at present.

"It will ensure the new command in question can be 'mothered' by a single Service on a continuous basis. The Army, after all, has domain expertise in special operations, IAF in aerospace and Navy in cyber and information technology. The commands will draw elements, assets and manpower from all the three services as well as the government below the three-stars,'' said a source.

The Indian defence establishment certainly needs to be geared for battles in space and cyberspace after the first three military domains of land, air and sea. It also needs to bring together the disparate special forces in Army, Navy, IAF and other forces under a unified command and control structure to execute strategic operations in tune with national security objectives.

China, for instance, is taking huge strides on the space and cyberspace fronts.

Cyber warfare, too, is a frontline military priority for China, with its "hacker brigades'' regularly breaking into computer networks of countries like India, US, the UK and Germany.

This is great and very much needed. My personal favorite is the idea of India's own SOCOM I do hope though that the IA officer in charge of SOCOM would be from the SF community and not a regular infantry general. And if India's SOCOM got their own budget this would be epic!

Intresting! seems like we are moving with the times in the right direction

Very much so-seems Indian military is moving foreward far faster than many had expected!

I just wish the talent we do recruit when it comes to cyberspace is world class and they are put on decent wages to prevent them from leaving in a few years down the track to the private sector.

I just wish the talent we do recruit when it comes to cyberspace is world class and they are put on decent wages to prevent them from leaving in a few years down the track to the private sector.

Absolutely-I hope they take a leaf out of NRTO's book and use some "civvie" hackers who are the some of the best out there.

Absolutely-I hope they take a leaf out of NRTO's book and use some "civvie" hackers who are the some of the best out there.

That is often the case the best hackers tend to be the geeks who sometimes are on the other side of the law like the chap in UK Gary McKinnon. There have been cases in the past where the CIA & MI6 have recruited these types of people as they could help find where they are lacking in security in order to prevent lapses in the future.

Three different commands are being suggested to be raised. Special Operations Command, Aerospace Command and Cyber Command.

It is likely that some of the assets would initially be pooled from the three services, as the threes services would still continue to operate a bit of such assets, even after these commands are raised, for their own specific operations.

However, these commands would have to be integrated completely, if an all encompassing response needs to be generated.

Ascertaining their operational tasks however would be interesting.

Would it rather be regional in format or an out of region capability would also be needed including.

A limited out of region capability is in order, considering the overall capability of Special Operations Forces in Indian Armed Forces.

For the Aerospace Command, would the acquisition and response capability be regional in context or global subsequently!

Same aspects needs to be looked at while capability provision of this command is being ascertained.

It's really good news, it's better that we work in step by step basis on integrating our defence forces rather than just bringing a CODS overnight. First we started with A&C command than we had a tri service strategic forces command now we are moving on these 3 fronts, is simply awesome. The best part is that these 3 new integrated commands will be having head from each of Army, navy & AF respectively & will not be formed on rotating chairmanship basis, of course the best man should head the job & all these 3 forces have different area of expertise.

+ The 3 armed forces has a different headquarters + a MOD headquarters to take all the military related decision, i was thinking that isn't having a common building for all 3 services & MOD on the lines of Pentagon, the next logical step in direction of integrating the defence forces??

Three different commands are being suggested to be raised. Special Operations Command, Aerospace Command and Cyber Command.

It is likely that some of the assets would initially be pooled from the three services, as the threes services would still continue to operate a bit of such assets, even after these commands are raised, for their own specific operations.

However, these commands would have to be integrated completely, if an all encompassing response needs to be generated.

Ascertaining their operational tasks however would be interesting.

Would it rather be regional in format or an out of region capability would also be needed including.

A limited out of region capability is in order, considering the overall capability of Special Operations Forces in Indian Armed Forces.

For the Aerospace Command, would the acquisition and response capability be regional in context or global subsequently!

Same aspects needs to be looked at while capability provision of this command is being ascertained.

I imagine all scenrios will be envisegnionwed and planned for. Wrt out of region capability- this is being added in the shape of C-17 and C-130J with the latter being a dedicated SOF transport and has IFR capability. If it needs to happen it can be done, this is all part of military planning.

I imagine all scenrios will be envisegnionwed and planned for. Wrt out of region capability- this is being added in the shape of C-17 and C-130J with the latter being a dedicated SOF transport and has IFR capability. If it needs to happen it can be done, this is all part of military planning.

I agree. I was just enumerating discussionable aspects.

The C-17s and C-130s do provide a limited out of region capability.

Majority of the guys here are part of on liner mutual praise group, living in make believe world.

Majority of the guys here are part of on liner mutual praise group, living in make believe world.

Seconded. Not just that but most do nothing to extend the argument or add anything to the discussion-just saitsfy their own egos.

That is often the case the best hackers tend to be the geeks who sometimes are on the other side of the law like the chap in UK Gary McKinnon. There have been cases in the past where the CIA & MI6 have recruited these types of people as they could help find where they are lacking in security in order to prevent lapses in the future.

I had heard that ever since ~2007 that NRTO and RAW had been using a select group of "ethical hackers" in India who could be demanding vast sums in the pvt sector but chose to work for India and have been doing so ever since.

Back
Top Bottom