What's new

Indian-Americans’ spelling bee win draws racial remarks

If I have my wish, the next thing they will take...is the White House. :agree:

Bobby Jindal

jindal_2016_necklace.jpg

The OP is a stupid story. The "bee" has been covered nationally by the media here and that coverage has been extremely positive about the kid's great performance. If anything, the national conversation has been about the lack of quality in K-12 public education and how all American parents need to pay attention to their children's education they way the parents of these kids obviously do.

because its likely that South Asians who speak English well - speak it better than Americans themselves do...

Winning spelling bee is less about English, and more about rote learning, which is favored more by certain cultures than by others.

These kids sit for hours every day, day in and day out, memorizing list upon list upon list upon list of words.

Winning spelling bee is less about English, and more about rote learning, which is favored more by certain cultures than by others.

These kids sit for hours every day, day in and day out, memorizing list upon list upon list upon list of words.
yeah, its more of a memorizing skill .. I wonder why east asians especially korean and chinese are not in scene, may be lack of interest.
I watched the final clip, it looked less memorizing more guessing from general pattern of English spelling. Some of the words they dont even know meaning and pronunciation. In final question one contestant asked 3 times altenative pronunciations.
so a mix of both.

yeah, its more of a memorizing skill .. I wonder why east asians especially korean and chinese are not in scene, may be lack of interest.

Maybe they don't speak Indo-European languages at home. East Asians tend to do well in mathematics competitions.

I watched the final clip, it looked less memorizing more guessing from general pattern of English spelling. Some of the words they dont even know meaning and pronunciation. In final question one contestant asked 3 times altenative pronunciations.
so a mix of both.

It's the brain at work doing pattern matching and extrapolation.

Once you have enough data (memorized words), the brain starts to detect patterns between sounds and spellings. It can then start extrapolating known patterns (words) into unknown territory (new word) to make educated guesses.

so a mix of both.
You have no idea what you are saying.
Memorizing is a part of learning words, but it is more than that. Each word has an origin and a story behind it. So in essence you have to learn and understand the different ways english has picked up words and use it to make guesses. No one can possibly memorize all the words in english.
e.g. Stylus has a french origin (from french stylo meaning pen) but Swine has german origin(Schwein) and many words have non european roots (bazaar and bungalow both indian) it takes a lot of hard work to understand and is usually a cognitive feat. to capture many of the unlimited patterns

It is not just memorizing the dictionary. It is studying Latin, Greek and other languages. It's also reading and grasping rules and exceptions to rules for spelling. It's a show of dedication and inner strength to see something through to completion.

Bobby Jindal

jindal_2016_necklace.jpg

The OP is a stupid story. The "bee" has been covered nationally by the media here and that coverage has been extremely positive about the kid's great performance. If anything, the national conversation has been about the lack of quality in K-12 public education and how all American parents need to pay attention to their children's education they way the parents of these kids obviously do.

Oh please no, he'll go out of his way to make sure that nobody thinks he's favouring India in foreign relations.

Bobby Jindal

jindal_2016_necklace.jpg

Jindal would be detrimental to Indo-US relations. He'd definitely try to overcompensate just like Preet Bharara?

We win every year that's why they pissed lol funny

next year we should let some fat hamburger eating white kid win :lol: just to make them feel better

Indian Americans are mostly gujaratis and South Indians. That's why they are so smart.

Bobby Jindal

jindal_2016_necklace.jpg

Bobby Jindal's ideas against everything Canada stands for. America needs a Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

You tell me how would you compete for a spelling bee, genius?

Back
Top Bottom