What's new

Indian Agni-4 launch stirs fears of local nuclear war in S Asia amid arms race

Agni IV is Not a ballistic Missile But a Hypersonic Boost glide vehicle. Submarine launch version is in Making.

Agni IV is Not a ballistic Missile But a Hypersonic Boost glide vehicle. Submarine launch version is in Making.

OK , What are the difference between a ballistic missile and a hypersonic boost glide vehicle .

OK , What are the difference between a ballistic missile and a hypersonic boost glide vehicle .

Warhead section shall glide like a hyperconic cruise missile after reentry into the atmosphere. It will perform high G maneuvers before striking the the target. On the other hand Ballastic warhead falls like a stone from sky (ofcourse it may have some Trajectory correction mechanism) but it won't glide

I won't mind if you criticize me or even mock me. Your views are always valuable. Pl elaborate.

What he meant is that the guy who made this claim is actually a member of BR and not a credible source .

What he meant is that the guy who made this claim is actually a member of BR and not a credible source .

This is actually based on the article of famous defense analyst Arun Vishwakarma. Let me find that article if it is available on net. Let Asseb counter it .

I won't mind if you criticize me or even mock me. Your views are always valuable. Pl elaborate.

I didn't mean to ridicule you or anything, just mock the actual people who made this claim.

I couldn't watch the video because of some error being occurred, but as far as I understand (I maybe wrong), the claim being made is regarding Agni-4's second stage+payload section as a Hypersonic BGRV.

Now the first error in this assumption is considering the second stage as being capable of travelling through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds during re-entry, without being disintegrated. If you look closely at the high resolution pictures of Agni-4, the second stage is lined with a cable harness covering duct, which is very fragile for re-entry conditions. Furthermore, the second stage is solid-fueled and cannot be controlled/shut down/restarted, so it will be burnt out soon and the remaining body will act as dead weight if kept unattached. Moreover, the ReV will be incapable of making trajectory corrections for re-entry if the second stage is not detached.

Secondly, for an un-powered BGRV (if we consider Agni-4's black nose cone/payload section as the re-entry body), some sort of lift generating surface should be there, which has the capability of surviving the re-entry conditions (something like the X-51). Any structure like this is not present on Agni-4s ReV. So it cannot be considered as a BGRV.
The possibility of the ReV being powered is ruled out because the payload range and volume aboard the ReV is too less for hosting a sustained propulsion system.

Lastly, Agni-4 will always be termed as a ballistic missile. It is the ReV which can be termed as either conventional or a BGRV.

This is actually based on the article of famous defense analyst Arun Vishwakarma. Let me find that article if it is available on net. Let Asseb counter it .

Do share it. Although I might have read it but I'm not sure.

If you look closely at the high resolution pictures of Agni-4, the second stage is lined with a cable harness covering, which is very fragile for re-entry conditions. Furthermore, the second stage is solid-fueled and cannot be controlled/shut down/restarted, so it will be burnt out soon and the remaining body will act as dead weight if kept unattached. Moreover, the ReV will be incapable of making trajectory corrections for re-entry if the second stage is not detached.

i do not think that it is cable harnessing cover. I do not think it is visible on third vehicle of A4.

I do not think that shutting down or restarting of motor is required. small thrushter motors can keep the vehicle on track.

Secondly, for an un-powered BGRV (if we consider Agni-4's black nose cone/payload section as the re-entry body), some sort of lift generating surface should be there, which has the capability of surviving the re-entry conditions (something like the X-51). Any structure like this is not present on Agni-4s ReV. So it cannot be considered as a BGRV.

I do not know how much it is true for a missile travelling at a very high speed?

Do share it. Although I might have read it but I'm not sure.

Let me find it. I find some of the very interesting article of Mr. vishwakarma but they are old articles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom