What's new

India vs Pak for top job at Citigroup?

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

NEW YORK: While India is slogging out against Pakistan in a cricket Test match in Kolkata, another face-off is tipped to be developing here between two bankers with origins in the two countries -- that for the position of CEO at world's largest bank Citigroup.

The list of contenders for this job include Vikram S Pandit, currently Citigroup's investment banking head and a former Morgan Stanley investment banker, and Shaukat Aziz, formerly the bank's global private banking business head and most recently the prime minister of Pakistan, according to various media reports.

According to a report in the New York Times this weekend, Citigroup board expects to name a new CEO next week and Pandit's name has emerged as a favourite, although no clear choice has emerged so far.

Meanwhile, reports have been surfacing in the US and international media that Aziz, who resigned as Pakistan's Prime Minister last month, could also be a potential candidate and has already sent his feelers to Citigroup board.

Queries sent on the candidature of Pandit and Aziz to Citigroup spokesperson Christina Pretto remained unanswered.

The CEO position fell vacant after Charles Prince resigned as Citigroup's Chairman and CEO at an emergency board meet on November 4 on the back of losses worth billions of dollars suffered by Citigroup in the subprime crisis.

After Prince's departure, Citigroup named its Europe Chairman Win Bischoff as an acting CEO and its Executive Committee Chairman and former US Treasury Secretary Robert E Rubin as Chairman on interim basis. Rubin is also part of a search committee for the new Chairman and CEO and this committee has been reviewing candidates from both inside and outside the bank.

India vs Pak for top job at Citigroup?-Intl Business-Business-The Times of India

NEW YORK: While India is slogging out against Pakistan in a cricket Test match in Kolkata, another face-off is tipped to be developing here between two bankers with origins in the two countries -- that for the position of CEO at world's largest bank Citigroup.

The list of contenders for this job include Vikram S Pandit, currently Citigroup's investment banking head and a former Morgan Stanley investment banker, and Shaukat Aziz, formerly the bank's global private banking business head and most recently the prime minister of Pakistan, according to various media reports.

According to a report in the New York Times this weekend, Citigroup board expects to name a new CEO next week and Pandit's name has emerged as a favourite, although no clear choice has emerged so far.

Meanwhile, reports have been surfacing in the US and international media that Aziz, who resigned as Pakistan's Prime Minister last month, could also be a potential candidate and has already sent his feelers to Citigroup board.

Queries sent on the candidature of Pandit and Aziz to Citigroup spokesperson Christina Pretto remained unanswered.

The CEO position fell vacant after Charles Prince resigned as Citigroup's Chairman and CEO at an emergency board meet on November 4 on the back of losses worth billions of dollars suffered by Citigroup in the subprime crisis.

After Prince's departure, Citigroup named its Europe Chairman Win Bischoff as an acting CEO and its Executive Committee Chairman and former US Treasury Secretary Robert E Rubin as Chairman on interim basis. Rubin is also part of a search committee for the new Chairman and CEO and this committee has been reviewing candidates from both inside and outside the bank.

India vs Pak for top job at Citigroup?-Intl Business-Business-The Times of India

Shaukhat Aziz has the political muscle to get the Saudi Prince's nod.. but in the end I think having a pakistani as a head of Citibank.. might send some wrong signals in countries covertly antagonistic to Pakistan, Pakistani or Muslims.. :whistle:

Shaukhat Aziz has the political muscle to get the Saudi Prince's nod.. but in the end I think having a pakistani as a head of Citibank.. might send some wrong signals in countries covertly antagonistic to Pakistan, Pakistani or Muslims.. :whistle:

This is such a nonsense comment. It implies that all those countries who have antigonistic views against India or Hindus will have objections over Mr. Pandit's appointment. My friend, appointment decisions are made on the basis of ability, acumen and potential of the candidate. Even if I am a Pakistani, I would have no bad views over the appointment of an Indian as Citibank's CEO as long as he is performing his duties as a gentleman by being impartial and without bias against anyone.

Best regards.

hi as long my money is safe and good investments are being done , I dont care if Musarrat Shaheen becomes the CEO:lol::lol:

believe that our worst enemy India through Afghanistan is involved in terrorist
activities in Pakistan particularly in Balochistan. He was their key puppet killed
like a stray dog. Very good shot.
As per historical perspective Marri is not Baloch but a sub caste of Maratha
Hindu.
Now some so-called Baloch under parentage of Gazan Marri (in Dubai) are killing
innocent settlers, throwing russian made hand gernades/crakers on houses of
settlers in Balochistan. Such terrorists should be killed on the spot. Free hand
should be given to the armed forces to control terrorism in Balochistan. Carpet
bombing in affected areas can break their back bones. Khair Bux Marri should be kicked out from Sindh and sent India or Afghanistan.
We must teach lesson to India and Afghanistan and start to support freedom
fighters in India particularly in Indian held Kashmir.
Live long Pakistan!

Very true. Fully agreed. Door to door search operation in Balochistan is required for bringing real peace.
A.B. Tareen

believe that our worst enemy India through Afghanistan is involved in terrorist
activities in Pakistan particularly in Balochistan. He was their key puppet killed
like a stray dog. Very good shot.
As per historical perspective Marri is not Baloch but a sub caste of Maratha
Hindu.
Now some so-called Baloch under parentage of Gazan Marri (in Dubai) are killing
innocent settlers, throwing russian made hand gernades/crakers on houses of
settlers in Balochistan. Such terrorists should be killed on the spot. Free hand
should be given to the armed forces to control terrorism in Balochistan. Carpet
bombing in affected areas can break their back bones. Khair Bux Marri should be kicked out from Sindh and sent India or Afghanistan.
We must teach lesson to India and Afghanistan and start to support freedom
fighters in India particularly in Indian held Kashmir.
Live long Pakistan!

iirelevant mods delete this comment

This is such a nonsense comment. It implies that all those countries who have antigonistic views against India or Hindus will have objections over Mr. Pandit's appointment. My friend, appointment decisions are made on the basis of ability, acumen and potential of the candidate. Even if I am a Pakistani, I would have no bad views over the appointment of an Indian as Citibank's CEO as long as he is performing his duties as a gentleman by being impartial and without bias against anyone.

Best regards.

Shaukat Aziz has been a head of state, he may be believed to have an agenda at the same time massive contacts..

Citibank has a massive India-Focus at the moment.. and it may run into trouble..

Its like making an Iranian Ayatollah head of IAEA.. not that dramatic but for implications..

though having a majority share partner a Saudi and the excellent relations b/w Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.. he may get the shareholder's nod.. but people will question that...

if he was a non politician type then the thing would have boiled down to abilities.. :smokin:

india is not helping balochistan musharraf was asked directly whether he thought it was india that was helping and he said no but referred to afghanistan instead besides thankfully balochistan is quiet nowdays anyway it's barely even in the news also IPI pipeline i think india is still interested .Anyway i agree with aryan it's off topic.I don't care whoever gets this citigroup job their country shouldn't matter it should be whoevers better qualified.

There are two perspectives to this. If Citibank is planning on investing a lot in India and expand its operations their than an Indian is the right choice.

If however Citibank wants a person who has performed well in the most demanding environment than Mr. Shaukat Aziz is the person. He did a lot in Pakistan and revived the economy to considerable extent. His performance speaks for himself.

Wish best of luck to both gentlemen.:cheers:

I was just speaking with my friends at Citi over the weekend. It turns out that Shaukat Aziz was never in serious contention to begin with. ToI totally blew the whole thing out of proportion.

Pandit was almost the sure shot from the start. Citi essentially invested a LOT of money to acquire Pandit by purchasing his moderately performing hedge fund Old Lane.

The only other long shot contender was GE Financial vice-chairman Michael Neal.

Hence it should come of no surprise that Vikram Pandit was named CEO of Citigroup.. He will add to the growing list of "imported CEOs"

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom