What's new

India TV channels told not to air sexy deodorant ads

At ASCI, there are very specific guidelines. Any visual that is not likely to cause grave or widespread offence is not a cause of concern

As I said before, if there were no grave or widespread concerns with the ads, why ban them? Why set a precedent which will be awfully difficult to implement rightly in the future?

Actually the guideline is not specific, it is generic. There is no way you can figureout whether anything causes grave and widespread offfence.
It is still subjective wrt the number of complaints you are talking about.

Also, many other ads like false information are taken out, even if you receive less complaints.

Case 1: A toothepaste claims to kill germs 100 % more than competitors. They were asked to change ad as they could not support their claim. Usually your competitor complains not public.

case 2: Children care products, it is feared that they may harm babies because they dont encourage mothers milk. They are asked to specify that mother's milk is better.

End of the day, you still have somebody who has to take call. As long as the number of interventions are very few, one should not be worried about it.

When a principle is agreed upon, no complains are entertained over it unless there are extraordinary circumstances. There were no widespread rallies or protest condemning the ads, just a few groups raising their eyebrows. The point is if you start giving into people so easily and start compromising a principle,you are setting a wrong precedent. Where would the buck stop ? Would you have supported this ban if some religious groups had called it objectionable or what would you do if a religious group does the same in the future? As I said, this act opens up a Pandora box and going down this road would make things blurry as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Actually no. If Indian public perceives this as unjust ban they can do widespread rallies or protest in your own words. Indians especially in this particular case are more inclined or favored towards ban. There are better things to be worried about for both public and government. Personally I don't care enough for these ads. Obviously they are in bad taste but I wouldn't have mind.

Actually no. If Indian public perceives this as unjust ban they can do widespread rallies or protest in your own words. Indians especially in this particular case are more inclined or favored towards ban. There are better things to be worried about for both public and government. Personally I don't care enough for these ads. Obviously they are in bad taste but I wouldn't have mind.

Pal, I am not only talking wrt these particular ads, I am talking in general. When this kind of banning is allowed to happen, it creates a snowball effect. You can't really pinpoint what to allow and what to ban and the whole process becomes prone to manipulation in the name of "bad taste".

Well, if in my posts it appears that I favour the ban, I am sorry, that is not the case.
I was just trying to point out that these rules are subjective, I would personally prefer them to be aired during adult hours, as I am more bothered about impact on children than good taste.

Pal, I am not only talking wrt these particular ads, I am talking in general. When this kind of banning is allowed to happen, it creates a snowball effect. You can't really pinpoint what to allow and what to ban and the whole process becomes prone to manipulation in the name of "bad taste".

Well anybody can take a decision by government to court. Its up to our supreme judicial body to decide the governments right to ban something. It depends on what is banned. We have several NGO's that does exactly that. For example, recent law to curb internet freedom. Its already in courts right now. Personally I wouldn't believe anyone in India would raise a finger against this particular ban.

I can't believe people here are against this ban!! Haven't you seen them? If you are against banning these ads, then why don't we all just go ahead and allow **** on television?

Now this does not go against anyone's religious beliefs or nationalism to invite a ban. I believe this is a simple case of curtailing freedom of speech in a secular democracy. This isn't a map which distorts the geographical boundaries or a book which degrades a national figure. Just a deodorant add. Sensible analysis by all members is welcome. Try to keep the hate and flames on the low.

:rofl: Funny you should say that. Each country has a differnt social background and has differnt perception of the word vulgar or obscene. have you seen the ad. Will you be comfortable watching such ads with your kids and parents with you ? And why do you care about democracy ?

Some ads are really obscene I must say. They should be aired only post 11 pm.

:rofl: Funny you should say that. Each country has a differnt social background and has differnt perception of the word vulgar or obscene. have you seen the ad. Will you be comfortable watching such ads with your kids and parents with you ? And why do you care about democracy ?

yes as Indians have always treated their women as sex objects thats why they don't have problem with these adds great than why you guys cry on rape?????????????

In this ad for a chocolate bar, she's not wearing any suggestive clothing, but it still may be interpreted by some people as being vulgar.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this billboard is the product that is being advertised on the right or the left? ;)

DSC_3772-copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom