What's new

India to test 5,000-km "China Killer" ICBM by year-end

Gossipmonger

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: India will by year-end test its 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), often termed the China killer " for its ability to reach the northernmost areas of that country, the head of a premier defence research agency said on Friday when Defence Minister AK Antony asked for the expeditious development of the Agni-V missile system.

" DRDO ( Defence Research and Development Organisation )) has developed a spectrum of missiles with a different range and payload capability. Now, DRDO must demonstrate its capability to reach a range of 5,000 km at the earliest, Antony said at a function at the research agency.

DRDO chief VK Saraswat , who was present beside Antony, said Agni-V will be tested by the end of this year.

Antony also asked the agency to also develop a "credible" Ballistice Missile Defence (BMD) system to intercept enemy missiles that may target India, thereby taking the county into an elite club of nations such as the US.

"The interceptor missile development programme has taken India into an elite club of nations that possess the capability to demonstrate and deploy missile defence. DRDO should now work towards developing a credible ballistic missile defence for our country," Antony told the gathering of defence scientists.

India is in the process of developing its own BMD system and has carried out six tests in the last two years, of which four have been successful.

The BMD programme comprises a two-tiered system called Prithvi Air Defence ( PAD )) for high-altitude interception at 50-80 km and Advanced Air Defence ( AAD )) for low-altitude interception 15-30 km.

India has also inducted its latest 3,000-km Agni-III missile into the armed forces and has begun serialised production of the weapon system.

Agni-III, Saraswat pointed out, is an inducted missile. "So there is no confusion whether or when it will be inducted. Agni-III is an inducted missile. It has completed its complete development and is under production," he added.

India to test 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile by year-end - The Economic Times

my friend pls remove that china killer, we are not enemies not friends too, but we dnt hav any rivalry with the chinese in this forum, so remove that word" china killer".

We are enemy at least china does everything it can to harm India because of that I'm a biggest critic of china.

Still i think that the title should be changed because we don't want to kill anyone its about our defense purposes only.

After all we are Indians and we should behave like one, plz remove offensive title. :angel:

The Hindu : News / National : Antony asks DRDO to build credible missile defence system

Antony asks DRDO to build credible missile defence system

Defence Minister A.K. Antony on Friday asked the DRDO to prioritise the development of 5,000-km range ballistic missile while building a credible missile defence system for the country.

He also congratulated the Defence Research and Development Organisation for developing the interceptor missile allowing India to join an elite club of nations possessing such advance technology.

“DRDO must demonstrate the capability to develop missiles of the range of 5,000 km at the earliest. This is a challenge for the DRDO and I hope they will successfully meet this challenge at the earliest,” he said in New Delhi.

Mr. Antony was addressing a gathering of defence scientists who received the DRDO’s annual award for excelling in their respective areas.

“The interceptor missile defence programme has taken India into the elite club of nations that possess the capability to demonstrate this technology. DRDO should now concentrate on developing a credible ballistic missile defence for the country,” he added.

He also asked DRDO scientists to focus on the development of Mark II version of the Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun for the Indian Army and the Kaveri Engine.

“The development of MBT Arjun and Kaveri Engine has been hit by delays. Development of MBT Arjun is a major milestone. But Mark II is another area of challenge. That challenge you have to meet,” he told the gathering.

Mr. Antony also asked the DRDO and the Indian Air Force to ensure on schedule the induction of the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas into the force.

“After getting the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) for the LCA Tejas, we are moving towards its Final Operational Clearance (FOC). I am sure DRDO and IAF will work together to deliver Tejas on schedule,” he said.

He added that the delays in the development of indigenous engine for the fighter jets had given more time for the induction of the LCA and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) for the IAF.

Has India completed all development and testing of its medium range missiles???

my friend pls remove that china killer, we are not enemies not friends too, but we dnt hav any rivalry with the chinese in this forum, so remove that word" china killer".

Relax Buddy.... We all Know, Missiles are never been developed by any Country to promote friendship. Warheads are deterrents if not anything.

This is "thread killing" troll thread. just see till evening u will find "peace killing" reply.

We are enemy at least china does everything it can to harm India because of that I'm a biggest critic of china.

Still i think that the title should be changed because we don't want to kill anyone its about our defense purposes only.

After all we are Indians and we should behave like one, plz remove offensive title. :angel:

Yes i agree but we nothing with the chinese in this forum. that title will tend to vs thread.

Relax Buddy.... We all Know, Missiles are never been developed by any Country to promote friendship. Warheads are deterrents if not anything.

its very bad friend , no offensive plz. change the title

Back
Top Bottom