What's new

India to start work on ” Lighter BrahMos-M

we are not russia is as its signatory to mctr and we can't do shit about it as ramjet engine for this comes from russia

We do have ramjet engine technology I believe, for Akash Sam as well as Astra 2(under development).

We do have ramjet engine technology I believe, for Akash Sam as well as Astra 2(under development).

astra is not ramjet

akash I am not sure but its range is mly 30 km

in brahmos engine comes from russia

astra is not ramjet

akash I am not sure but its range is mly 30 km

in brahmos engine comes from russia

Astra 2 version I'm talking about. We have significant improvements in that platform AFAIK

Astra 2 version I'm talking about. We have significant improvements in that platform AFAIK

we have a meagre info on astra 1 let alone the specs of astra 2

so again I am not sure,am using mobile right now so difficult to search

why are we limiting it to 290 kms?

Whom are we appeasing by limiting the range? It is based on brahmos original version but we are able to shred 1 tonne weight and will make it as ALCM. We could easily give it a new name and be smart.
Officially the range is capped at 290 kms but it is quite obvious this is an artificial cap imposed by the MCTR so there is the potential for the range to be extended is the situations calls for it.

Whom are we appeasing by limiting the range? It is based on brahmos original version but we are able to shred 1 tonne weight and will make it as ALCM. We could easily give it a new name and be smart.

That's not that simple, you have to keep in mind that the current version by design as well as the populsion is basically the Russian P800, which also has a range of 290Km, so that is a limitation of the missile itself. Launched from an aircraft at high altitude will increase the range further, but Brahmos mini will actually be a more upgraded version, not only a smaller version. When you look at videos and interviews from Aero India this year, it was stated that we can develop a new propulsion for the smaller system, which than can be aimed on more ranger too, since we don't get it from Russia anymore, which are bound to international laws. Just like the Brahmos 2 is not limited to 290Km, since it's a complete new developmed missile, with the Russians as a development partner, but they are not selling us parts that would fall under international export laws.
However, the main advantage of Brahmos is speed and that will remain to be the priority and not range. Imo it's more a replacement of anti ship and land attack missiles like the Club S and not like a Tomahawk missile, which will be covered by Nirbhay.

That's not that simple, you have to keep in mind that the current version by design as well as the populsion is basically the Russian P800, which also has a range of 290Km, so that is a limitation of the missile itself. Launched from an aircraft at high altitude will increase the range further, but Brahmos mini will actually be a more upgraded version, not only a smaller version. When you look at videos and interviews from Aero India this year, it was stated that we can develop a new propulsion for the smaller system, which than can be aimed on more ranger too, since we don't get it from Russia anymore, which are bound to international laws. Just like the Brahmos 2 is not limited to 290Km, since it's a complete new developmed missile, with the Russians as a development partner, but they are not selling us parts that would fall under international export laws.
However, the main advantage of Brahmos is speed and that will remain to be the priority and not range. Imo it's more a replacement of anti ship and land attack missiles like the Club S and not like a Tomahawk missile, which will be covered by Nirbhay.

Thats exactly my point, why we need to put the name brahmos to the smaller version since most of the developments will be done by Indians. It should be our missile.

Thats exactly my point, why we need to put the name brahmos to the smaller version since most of the developments will be done by Indians. It should be our missile.

Because it is being built by Brahmos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd and they name all their missiles as Brahmos 1,2,3,etc .

It's a joint project and the Russian side will have a main part in the development of the Brahmos mini of course too. Only because they might not have the same requirement to buy it, or that we fund more of the project doesn't make it our own alone. However, I think Brahmos mini will make things different for Russia too and it might see some more orders and hopefully exports too, since it offers far more application platforms.

@21:20

Back
Top Bottom