What's new

India to resume military supplies to Nepal after eight years

it was the material which bent when the barrels got heated up when firing for more than several minutes

Nepal claim ludicrous: Army

NEW DELHI: The Army feels the Royal Nepalese Army (RNA) is simply talking through its hat when it blames the Indian INSAS assault rifles for the reverses it is suffering against the Maoists in the landlocked kingdom.

RNA's criticism about what it calls "sub-standard" INSAS rifles has more do with "politics" than anything else, in keeping with Nepal's strategy to play on Indian fears that it could turn to a third country like China or Pakistan for arms supplies.
The 1.13-million-strong Indian Army, the third largest in the world, should know about the 5.56 mm INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) rifles since it has inducted around five lakh of them since 1997-98. With an "effective 400-metre range" and capable of being fired either in single shots or three-round bursts, INSAS rifles have replaced the cumbersome 7.62 mm SLR (self-loading rifle) as the standard weapon for all infantry battalions.

"We are using INSAS rifles in counter-insurgency operations in extreme terrains ranging from Jammu and Kashmir to the North-East on a daily basis. If we can use them successfully in much more intense operations, there is no reason that RNA cannot," said a senior officer.

Quipped another, "RNA needs to be trained to handle the rifles better."

The Army is ready to train RNA once again on the "correct usage" of INSAS rifles, like it did in 2004. RNA soldiers are neglecting to maintain the rifles properly. INSAS rifles did have teething problems in the initial phases. There were, for instance, complaints of "cold arrest" and breakage and cracking of components, particularly the semi-transparent bullet magazines, in high-altitude areas like Kargil and Siachen.
Nepal claim ludicrous: Army - Times Of India

New insas rifle is very impressive.

Is it fully automatic or semi automatic rifle ?

IA has policy of no full auto in troops as in heat of battle they tend to spray blindly,waste ammo and be inaccuarte at the same time.This decision was taken consciously to give no full auto to INSAS.
Look at falklands war,large numbers of argentine troops armed with FN FAL full auto vs smaller numbers of british with same FN FAL 3 round and semi auto,argentines spray inaccurate fire and waste ammo but it was accurate british fire that wins out.

Good move, it is not only about quality of rifles. This move has significant political & strategic importance.

IA has policy of no full auto in troops as in heat of battle they tend to spray blindly,waste ammo and be inaccuarte at the same time.This decision was taken consciously to give no full auto to INSAS.
Look at falklands war,large numbers of argentine troops armed with FN FAL full auto vs smaller numbers of british with same FN FAL 3 round and semi auto,argentines spray inaccurate fire and waste ammo but it was accurate british fire that wins out.

I didn't know from where you get that but i am 100% sure IA isn't against AUTO mode and those auto modes save your life when you are in highly disadvantages position . And if that was true why in world new assault rifle RFP and the guns being tested are "fully auto" ???

I am not a weapon expert but safety catch in the picture seems to have 4 positions notch.

Correct me if I am wrong

falklands - surely there are many thing that change the course. Not just auto vs semi

I didn't know from where you get that but i am 100% sure IA isn't against AUTO mode and those auto modes save your life when you are in highly disadvantages position . And if that was true why in world new assault rifle RFP and the guns being tested are "fully auto" ???

I am not a weapon expert but safety catch in the picture seems to have 4 positions notch.

Correct me if I am wrong

falklands - surely there are many thing that change the course. Not just auto vs semi

I meant HAD,new assault rifles are relatively accurate in even full auto,so this can change.During early era full auto was waste of ammo and innacurate due to recoil.

Back
Top Bottom