What's new

India to meet poverty reduction goal by 2015: UN Report

75x30 = 2250 per month = 27,000 per year.

Its per capita. And per capita poverty line is calculated keeping a mind a family of 2 adults and 3 children, I still used only a family of 4.

so, 27000X4= 108,000/year for a family of 4.

Its per capita. And per capita poverty line is calculated keeping a mind a family of 2 adults and 3 children, I still used only a family of 4.

so, 27000X4= 108,000/year for a family of 4.

Could you please provide link where it says per capita with reference to India. As far as I remember, there was a plan definition of around 20k per year annual income.

Could you please provide link where it says per capita with reference to India. As far as I remember, there was a plan definition of around 20k per year annual income.

Well the $1.25 is UN poverty line, the 2015 Millennium Development Goal is based on UN poverty line. All the poverty line figures are per capita.

India's own poverty line is a bit lower,

In September 2011, the Indian Planning Commission presented new estimates for the country’s poverty lines in urban and rural areas, setting these thresholds at 965 and 781 rupees per capita per month (or about 32 and 26 rupees per capita per day), respectively.

http://unu.edu/publications/articles/redefining-poverty-in-china-and-india.html

Thats 965x12 = 11000 per capita per annum

Well the $1.25 is UN poverty line, the 2015 Millennium Development Goal is based on UN poverty line. All the poverty line figures are per capita.

India's own poverty line is a bit lower,

Redefining Poverty in China and India - United Nations University

Thats 965x12 = 11000 per capita per annum

per capita by definition is an average. Which means the distortion in distribution is not seen. Which is why the BPL is defined at a particular level. While, I understand what your saying at the macro level holds true, the calculation that the income levels of the lower classes is defined at 1 lac and hence tolerable is what I pointed out. The level remains at below 30k.

Back
Top Bottom