What's new

India to deploy BrahMos cruise missile in FGFA

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: India is planning to deploy its 290km range supersonic BrahMos cruise missile on the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) being developed with Russia.

"If we are able to reduce the weight of the missile below two tonnes, we can deploy it on the FGFA and we are looking to do that in future," BrahMos Aerospace chief A Sivathanu Pillai said here.

FGFA is joint venture aircraft development programme between India and Russia under which India will induct 250-300 of these advanced planes.

The missile is already being developed for deployment on Su-30MKIs of the Indian Air Force.

Asked if the missile could be put on other aircraft such as the LCA or the proposed Medium-Multirole Combat Aircraft (M-MRCA), Pillai said it would not be possible for the LCA as it was a small aircraft.

Asked if there was any plan to export the missile, the BrahMos chief said "many countries in the world have shown interest in the missile and a Supervisory Council comprising Indian and Russian officials has given clearance for exporting it to friendly countries."

He said the three Services have extended their support for the missile export but only after fulfilling their requirements.

Pillai said the three Services have placed orders worth USD four billion with BrahMos including the orders for the land version of cruise missile by the Indian Air Force.

The BrahMos chief denied there were disputes between India and Russia over the modifications being carried out in the Su-30MKIs being upgraded to fire-from-the-air version of the missile.

"The trials of launching BrahMos cruise missile from air will begin in 2012 and there will be no delay in the programme due to this," he added.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

The title is misleading, because Brahmos will not be carried in FGFA, but on it (externally).

The title is misleading, because Brahmos will not be carried in FGFA, but on it (externally).

If that is the case, than why not use another aircraft. It would make the stealthy airplane visible.

If that is the case, than why not use another aircraft. It would make the stealthy airplane visible.
I hope you know missiles can be taken out of fighter jets ?/ In case of attack on any country which doesn't have good radars and all we can mount it externally on the fighter. actually FGFA will replace Su30 and hence it will be doing the job of air superiority. And whenever it will be going on a mission against a country were stealth is needed, we won't use Brahnos.

you clearly don't know what your talking about as even the F-22 uses external drop tanks but these are modified to reduce rcs sig I would assume Brahmos would have somthing simlar done to it i.e the rcs may only increase by a few cm, so still stealthy!

you clearly don't know what your talking about as even the F-22 uses external drop tanks but these are modified to reduce rcs sig I would assume Brahmos would have somthing simlar done to it i.e the rcs may only increase by a few cm, so still stealthy!

f-22 use fuel tanks only when they r not in mission, actually they r moving between US local air force base and okinawa US air force base.

fuel tanks or any other boom or missle place externally will only destroy f-22 0.0001~0.001Xm^2 front rcs.

I believe there is no efforts to make Brahmos stealthy. the guy previous to this post #4 do make some sense. But you totally make a fool of yourself.

Stealth doesn't mean invisible, just more difficult to detect! Any external loads will make FGFA easier to detect of course, but still less compared to MKI for example, while FGFA is also more capable than the MKI in all performance specs, as well as radar and avionics...
Btw, that is not only the problem for FGFA and Brahmos, but for most stealth fighters, because the internal weapon bays allows only a specific length and diameter of the weapons, F35 can carry JASSM, Storm Shadow, or even most Paveway LGB only externally.

dont worry, yankees now use GBU-39, NO BOOMS FOR STEALTH FIGHTER CARRIED EXTERNALLY.

F-22_GBU39B_AIM-120_m02006120800117.jpg

I am not interested in such joke.

1. FGFA is a decade away. It takes even more time to get it combat ready.
2. Russian jet + Russian missile, where is the news?

Thats like saying why have external hard points on an F22?
Stealth is not required in all the missions. After SEAD, I don't think we need stealth at all. So in these areas the efficiency of the strike package depends on payload

Thats like saying why have external hard points on an F22?

are you serious? they have a list of available proven missiles to choose from, both for internal bay and external hard points. the choice is available to them and they pick whatever they want for the mission.

is that the same case for india? last time when I checked, india can not even design a single missile on its own. engine, seekers, war head, you name it, most relies on foreign companies.

in short, you simply don't have such choice.

are you serious? they have a list of available proven missiles to choose from, both for internal bay and external hard points. the choice is available to them and they pick whatever they want for the mission.

is that the same case for india? last time when I checked, india can not even design a single missile on its own. engine, seekers, war head, you name it, most relies on foreign companies.

in short, you simply don't have such choice.

Bharat Rakshak - Missiles Section » Astra

We do have indigenous AAM in astra.
And what I was saying was in response to faithfulguy who says we'd compromise stealth by carrying external brahmos. I said all missions do not need stealth. And the brahmos could be carried in payload sensitive missions

Bharat Rakshak - Missiles Section » Astra

We do have indigenous AAM in astra.
And what I was saying was in response to faithfulguy who says we'd compromise stealth by carrying external brahmos. I said all missions do not need stealth. And the brahmos could be carried in payload sensitive missions

with a russia engine and seeker?

please, read more before you post.

with a russia engine and seeker?

please, read more before you post.

you need to take it easy kid ,living in patronage in PDF doesn't mean you talking sense but trolling ,go and join IDF rant same thing like you always do here! What chinese can make is all known to us . PL 10bvraam contain ukrain supplied homing sensor ,reverse engineered unreliable missile etc ..

Back
Top Bottom