What's new

India to Borrow and Spend More in 2010-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acorrding to idian media and indian PM's words, indian are not, really. If chinese have ten dollars, chinese possible say they have less than one dollar, but when indian have ten dollars, they will say they have millions. It can easily been seen from indian media or indian big mouth polician including indian PM.:lol:

Off topic rant but let me answer for your benefit. Any medium if under regulated will result in noise and it is no different in Indian media. However, Indian media is not state controlled and journalist do not fear for their lives to publish or broadcast information that goes against the ruling government. This my friend is called the freedom of press. Indians are smart enough to understand which media house produces what quality of news and choose that medium that suite their taste. However, if someone wants to get the right information from a government body, we have RTI or Right to Information act that helps every citizen access to information. Do you have this luxury ?

Off topic rant but let me answer for your benefit. Any medium if under regulated will result in noise and it is no different in Indian media. However, Indian media is not state controlled and journalist do not fear for their lives to publish or broadcast information that goes against the ruling government. This my friend is called the freedom of press. Indians are smart enough to understand which media house produces what quality of news and choose that medium that suite their taste. However, if someone wants to get the right information from a government body, we have RTI or Right to Information act that helps every citizen access to information. Do you have this luxury ?

I just questioned a member's post about indian like to hide stuff from world. We all know it is not real. And I glag you can talk reasonbly.
Answer your question.

However, if someone wants to get the right information from a government body, we have RTI or Right to Information act that helps every citizen access to information. Do you have this luxury?
-> I leave china since I was ten so I dont know detail about this, but a recent new can say something about this question.
Chinese Premier Wen to chat on-line with netizens on Saturday afternoon

And I get your point about your media, but what about your PM and some idiot polician?
Your PM said indian will let the world only remember mumbai forgot shanghai in 5 years in 2004, now time is 2010. Is this not talking big? Is this a kind of action to hide stuff? And I also remember your gvot claim will offer indian free network with 2M band wide in 2003 or 2005, I forgot the time of that news.
:blink:

I just questioned a member's post about indian like to hide stuff from world. We all know it is not real. And I glag you can talk reasonbly.
Answer your question.

However, if someone wants to get the right information from a government body, we have RTI or Right to Information act that helps every citizen access to information. Do you have this luxury?
-> I leave china since I was ten so I dont know detail about this, but a recent new can say something about this question.

And I get your point about your media, but what about your PM and some idiot polician?
Your PM said indian will let the world only remember mumbai forgot shanghai in 5 years in 2004, now time is 2010. Is this not talking big? Is this a kind of action to hide stuff? And I also remember your gvot claim will offer indian free network with 2M band wide in 2003 or 2005, I forgot the time of that news.

Planning and execution don't go hand in hand in India. India empowers its citizens and even the GoI cannot go against the fundemental rights of a citizen. This at times imposes difficult in execution of mega projects unlike China.
I wont claim this without proof and here is a talk from a scholar and you will agree after you see this video.

This is India's way of making sure it citizens are treated with a degree of importance. This can invariably delay projects and estimates by the people at the highest level can also be off. Does that answer your question ? Please watch the video.It is pro-China and pro-India in its unique way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning and execution don't go hand in hand in India. India empowers its citizens and even the GoI cannot go against the fundemental rights of a citizen. This at times imposes difficult in execution of mega projects unlike China.
I wont claim this without proof and here is a talk from a scholar and you will agree after you see this video.

YouTube - Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India are Reshaping Their Futures an...

This is India's way of making sure it citizens are treated with a degree of importance. This can invariably delay projects and estimates by the people at the highest level can also be off. Does that answer your question ? Please watch the video.It is pro-China and pro-India in its unique way.

It is time to sleep and thank you for providing this video to me, I will watch it another day. But I didnt just compare indian with chna, but japan. Japanese never say will bla bla bla before it indeed has been done. And I think the other nation leader and gvot is as same as china and japan. My enducation taught me that it is a basic human manner that if you said somthing, you must make it done even for a commom human since I was a child both in china and in japan. So It is very surprised to me that a gvot and a leader like saying plan first before they even cannt make sure it will indeed be done?
Anyway thank you for your reply.

Well as far as this forum is concerned following points for the budget 2010-11 can be noted

exchange rate assumed 1 dollar= 46.10 Indian rupees

GDP (projected)= Rs. 6934700 crores = Us $ 1504 billion
(Source CSO Central Statistical Organization)

Fiscal Deficit = Rs 381408 Cr. = Us $ 82.73 billion = 5.5 % of GDP

Defence = Rs 147344 Cr = Us $ 31.96 billion = 2.125 % of GDP

Defence capex = Rs 60000 Cr = Us $ 13 billion
this year projected spending on defence purchases is Us $ 13 billion.

Not encouraging.

Last year this number was closer to $11 billion. A decent increase, I would say...

after all reality matters. winning here in troll wont effect even 0.001% in facts..but at last , i want to thanx the chinese aggresivenss toward india..it has pressurized the GOI for the development of india[ post 1991 LPG policy]..we have just started developing..many problems against us..btw next century will belongs to Asia

after all reality matters. winning here in troll wont effect even 0.001% in facts..but at last , i want to thanx the chinese aggresivenss toward india..it has pressurized the GOI for the development of india[ post 1991 LPG policy]..we have just started developing..many problems against us..btw next century will belongs to Asia

I am so happy that we have people like Riaz Haq who is always worried about India more than his very own Pakistan. We really need people like you, it feels really good that someone from other country wastes so much time to write about US (INDIA).

We are really blessed to have an intelect like you. Not every country is lucky to have one.

Feels really really good. Please never stop writing. I would pay to see that. Add me as one of your fans.

Here is the link for your donation:
Pakistan Defence Forum-Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is - PayPal Donate

Here's an analysis titled "Vision 2010: a dangerous myopia" by Amiya Kumar Bagchi in the Hindu:

The Central budget of 2010-11 is a further step in the realisation of a vision of India vibrant with the income, wealth, saving, education and the entrepreneurial energy of the top 5-10 per cent of the population and the rest of Indians, serving that minority and surviving as barely literate, malnourished multitude.

With the accession of Rajiv Gandhi to power, a vision began to germinate. That vision was that of an India that would be vibrant with the entrepreneurial energy of the few, and the rest of the population serving those few with their labour.

---------------------
Look at the successes of the budget: the professional middle class is happy with the cuts in taxes collected from it. The business community, including foreign investors, is happy, because of further privatisation of public assets by which the Finance Minister proposes to raise Rs. 25,000 crore, because of the looming privatisation of many operations of the Indian Railways, whose kitty is nowhere near what it should be for even partial implementation of the projects announced by the Railway Minister, because the FDI path would be further smoothed and because licences would be issued for fresh private banks. Never mind if they fail as the Global Trust Bank did, the government will pick up the bill directly or indirectly, in accordance with its earlier record and the recent practice in the United States and Britain where banks failed but bankers remained prosperous. The Indian stock market responded positively, thus sending a message of welcome to the budget and generating profits for the bulls.

The Finance Ministers of the neoliberal Central government had earlier instituted the Fiscal Responsibility and Responsibility Management Act. This became their excuse to drastically cut down public investment and expenditure on the social sector. As soon as the global financial crisis hit India and the interests of the Indian rich demanded fiscal stimulus, the government overthrew fiscal orthodoxy and budget deficits soared. North Block policymakers can claim that the stimulus worked and the growth rates did not crash. The problem is with the content of that growth.

-----------------------------

The Union Cabinet recently approved an agreement with the U.S. on ‘Agricultural co-operation and food security.' Under an India-U.S. Agricultural Knowledge Initiative, multinational agribusiness firms such as Cargill and Monsanto can become members of the policymaking body. This is ironical since most of U.S. agribusinesses are conducted under the umbrella of huge government subsidies, while the current budget has cut the measly subsidies poor farmers enjoy in India. Indian agriculture has grown slowly in recent years, and food grain production has lagged behind population growth.

Ordinary Indians are badly malnourished and calorie intake has fallen over time. An Expert Group appointed by the Planning Commission has proposed 1800 calories per day as the norm of consumption by an adult for fixing the poverty line. This norm is applicable only for light or sedentary work. How is a construction worker with heavy head loads or an agricultural worker driving buffaloes in a flooded paddy land going to do his work and lead a healthy life or survive long? Even this norm yields an estimate of poverty of about 42 per cent in 2004-05, much higher than the estimates quoted officially. If the Food Security Bill is passed by Parliament, it will presumably be implemented by accepting the older estimate or the new estimate of the Expert Group. Either way, a vast number of people who are malnourished will remain in that state.

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Vision 2010: a dangerous myopia

India's growing union budget deficit does not tell the whole story. On top of the union budget deficit of 6.9% of GDP, the gross fiscal deficit of state governments is budgeted to increase to 3.2% of GDP in 2009-10 (Budget estimates), compared with 2.6% of GDP in 2008-09 (revised estimates). Revenue account turned from a surplus of 0.2% in 2008-09 (RE) to a deficit of 0.5% of GDP in 2009-10 (BE), according to a study 'State Finances: A Study of Budgets of 2009-10,' released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).

The study also noted that state-wise, revenue accounts of four states West Bengal, Punjab, Kerala, and Rajasthan recorded revenue deficits during 2008-09 (RE). Jharkhand turned from a revenue deficit to a revenue surplus state. In 2009-10 (BE), 10 states are expected to turn revenue deficit from a surplus status in the previous year. Overall, the revenue account is expected to be adversely impacted in the case of 23 states during 2009-10 (BE), the study noted.

The debt-GDP ratio of state governments came down to 26.2% in 2008-09 (RE) from the peak level of 32.8%, at the end of March, 2004. However, outstanding debt is budgeted to increase marginally to 26.5% of GDP by end-March 2010. The XII Finance Commission had recommended that states achieve a debt-GDP ratio of 30.8% till the end of March 2010.

Haq's Musings: India to Borrow and Spend More in 2010 Budget

That's the only point i wud say u r 100% correct with no ifs and buts....

I wudn't worry yet those % jumps becoz, we India is spending a lot on social and infra development. If things go as they r planned, it wud be a net benefit...

Mr. Haq,

The fact that debt is debt does not mean that the same amount of debt carry the same default risk irrespective of country and currency.

agree or disagree?

You gave the example of greece in your post now you still haven't answered my question

if greece , france , portugal and germany all borrow the same amount in their local currency that is euro, is the dafault risk same for all four countries? if not why?

Well Haq seems not interested in answering or may be u know why :angel::angel: Lets enlighten them...:what:

Default risk : the name itself suggests shows the risk of the borrower not being able to pay his obligations when due. How is this factored ? to keep it short, this risk considers ur cash flows in and out and ur other outstanding debts and their maturities. same as saying I borrowing $1 and India Govt borrowing $1, who has more risk to default ?. Now if we borrow in foreign currency our sovereign ratings come into play which decide how much are we asked or expected to pay over and above LIBOR rates. Now everything is interrelated... Take for example India.

If india feels its internal borrowings or Rupee bonds are due and she can't pay back the due and print more money.. ur currency will be -vely effected which inturn will effect ur foreign borrowings due to ur higher currency depreciation risk thus risking ur sovereign ratings... or increasing ur default risk on foreign debt. Well, I might have simplified few things here.. but this is no econ class :):) U get the gist...

So for the indian govt, as long as it sees gud econoic growth and tax collections, this debt is manageable, though wud want to see a little lower % of debt/gdp which again has no single answer but anywhere between 60-80% is considered ok or healthy depending on country.

Well Haq seems not interested in answering or may be u know why :angel::angel: Lets enlighten them...:what:

Default risk : the name itself suggests shows the risk of the borrower not being able to pay his obligations when due. How is this factored ? to keep it short, this risk considers ur cash flows in and out and ur other outstanding debts and their maturities. same as saying I borrowing $1 and India Govt borrowing $1, who has more risk to default ?. Now if we borrow in foreign currency our sovereign ratings come into play which decide how much are we asked or expected to pay over and above LIBOR rates. Now everything is interrelated... Take for example India.

If india feels its internal borrowings or Rupee bonds are due and she can't pay back the due and print more money.. ur currency will be -vely effected which inturn will effect ur foreign borrowings due to ur higher currency depreciation risk thus risking ur sovereign ratings... or increasing ur default risk on foreign debt. Well, I might have simplified few things here.. but this is no econ class :):) U get the gist...

So for the indian govt, as long as it sees gud econoic growth and tax collections, this debt is manageable, though wud want to see a little lower % of debt/gdp which again has no single answer but anywhere between 60-80% is considered ok or healthy depending on country.

If Greece defaults, and it is followed by the rest of the PIGs in Eurozone (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Soain) falling, then Euro will be under a lot more pressure than it already is. That is the risk that all of them face. That's probably the only reason why Germany and France are likely to rescue Greece. But that creates a moral hazard that others in Europe will behave irresponsibly.

India is no different in this regard. It needs to watch its debt before it explodes and becomes unmanageable.

If Greece defaults, and it is followed by the rest of the PIGs in Eurozone (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Soain) falling, then Euro will be under a lot more pressure than it already is. That is the risk that all of them face. That's probably the only reason why Germany and France are likely to rescue Greece. But that creates a moral hazard that others in Europe will behave irresponsibly.

India is no different in this regard. It needs to watch its debt before it explodes and becomes unmanageable.

What BS..S&P rates India as BBB which translates to
"Adequate capacity to meet financial commitments, but more subject to adverse economic conditions"

It used to rate Pakistan as CCC which translates to
"Currently vulnerable and dependent on favorable business, financial and economic conditions to meet financial commitments"

However in Aug 2009, IMF did a bailout for Pakistan by increasing a loan package by $3.2 billion to increase liquidity for pakistan which led to the rating being revised upward to B.
Standard & Poor’s increased Pakistan''s credit rating - GEO.tv
That translates to
"More vulnerable to adverse business, financial and economic conditions but currently has the capacity to meet financial commitments"

Haq, wouldnt it be better for you to focus on risks facing your country than the ones facing mine.??

btw, you have posted the same article in 4 different threads. Whats the point?? Amounts to trolling

Answer your question.

ramu, leave off this guy.

As of Indian PM saying Mumbai will become better than shanghai in another 5 years, he also said that its an ambition.

This part of it is been widely discussed in another thread where in this same old person called our PM a lier for this reason. Others tried explaining him that its an ambition but this guys hasn't stopped and brought the same old junk here as well.

@ChinaPak, good luck gentleman.

ramu, leave off this guy.

As of Indian PM saying Mumbai will become better than shanghai in another 5 years, he also said that its an ambition.

This part of it is been widely discussed in another thread where in this same old person called our PM a lier for this reason. Others tried explaining him that its an ambition but this guys hasn't stopped and brought the same old junk here as well.

@ChinaPak, good luck gentleman.

Any src?:blink: Doese this just exist in your dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom