What's new

India to boost wheat  exports to fill void left by Ukraine conflict

Yes, India has plenty of wheat thanks to the farm subsidy with not adequate storage. This crisis is an opportunity to get rid of the excess this year :cheers:

If there is no storage so why the export can jump multiple time within sort of period this year due to Ukraine war ?

Yup, the farm subsidy is huge, around 2 % of Indian GDP (2.9 TRILLION USD)

If there is no storage so why the export can jump multiple time within sort of period this year due to Ukraine war ?

Yup, the farm subsidy is huge, around 2 % of Indian GDP (2.9 TRILLION USD)
A lot production is said to be wasted because gov. cannot store the produce that it is obligated to buy. India tries to donate some of it to countries like Afghanistan.

A lot production is said to be wasted because gov. cannot store the produce that it is obligated to buy. India tries to donate some of it to countries like Afghanistan.

OK, so it is related to government obligation to buy weat from farmers, but that is not related to storage build by farmer themselves to store their weat production. I believe they have sufficient storage and this is why the export sudenly jumped about 2 times last year figure, not easy to increase production within limited time frame, many percentage of that increase must come from farmers storage

The United States will sanction Russia even if it starves the whole world to death.

Wheat has no flags written on it. Foodgrain is for human consumption. If some country has excess, others will buy it gladly.

Especially Muslim countries need it for Ramadan (Iftar) purposes.

Everyone knows that Ramadan foodgrain, sugar and edible oil consumption in Muslim countries is higher than during non-Ramadan times.

OK, so it is related to government obligation to buy weat from farmers, but that is not related to storage build by farmer themselves to store their weat production. I believe they have sufficient storage and this is why the export sudenly jumped about 2 times last year figure, not easy to increase production within limited time frame, many percentage of that increase must come from farmers storage
I don't know if these farmers have much storage. The way this government system works is through direct procurement. I think that it maybe possible to move from rice to wheat for this subsidized crop, although I'm not a farmer to say that it is feasible.

Just saying that the government's loss because of sheer waste can be offset for some time because of the crisis. I don't think that India is going to solve world hunger because of it

It is strange to an outsider like me that India continue to export more of their food production e.g. wheat while many inside the country are experiencing and suffering from hunger.

Isn't it a primary duty of an elected government to protect, feed its people and population first before anything else?

Alex Smith, a research analyst in the food and agriculture program at the Breakthrough Institute in California, told Al-Monitor that India aspires to increase its total wheat exports to about 7 million tons in 2022, its largest quantity ever.

According to data from the Indian Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, wheat exports from India increased more than fourfold in the 10 months ending on Jan. 31, marking a rise from 1.38 million tons to 6 million tons. The ministry also expects a production increase in the current year to a record 111.3 million tons, compared to 109.6 million tons last year.

:coffee:

India's wheat export boom brings a bonanza to farmers, and budget relief

Strong demand following Russia's invasion of Ukraine means growers are receiving the highest prices ever for their crops, while also easing pressure on the state's grain procurement agency which racks up huge debts as a buyer of last resort.

For international wheat markets, India's sales are helping offset a supply shortfall resulting from Ukraine-driven disruptions in the Black Sea region, crop cuts in Canada and quality downgrades in Australia
Following a flurry of export deals signed in February and March, India's wheat shipments touched a record 7.85 million tonnes in the fiscal year to March - up 275% from the previous year.

Considering India's hunger index, I don't want India to export any food.
One thing I don't understand, China is the world biggest wheat producer but we are still the major wheat importer in the world, India produces less wheat and has roughly the same population with China, how come India can massively export wheat ?

wheat.png

One thing I don't understand, China is the world biggest wheat producer but we are still the major wheat importer in the world, India produces less wheat and has roughly the same population with China, how come India can massively export wheat ?

View attachment 870483

Consumption of wheat is much less in West Bengal, Orissa, North East and most of South India, rice is the major staple food.

Consumption of wheat is much less in West Bengal, Orissa, North East and most of South India, rice is the major staple food.
But China is also the world biggest rice importer, despite the fact of being the world biggest rice producer. Does India import or export rice?

ni5zpOsvGdwzN8MI_-zEQyIz4TYn7yWYOyPfaGpWFjc.jpg

Below are the 15 countries that imported the highest dollar value worth of rice during 2021.
  • China: US$1.9 billion (7.3% of total rice imports)
  • Philippines: $1.2 billion (4.5%)
  • Saudi Arabia: $1.1 billion (4.1%)
  • United States: $1 billion (3.8%)
  • Bangladesh: $939 million (3.5%)
  • Iraq: $716.5 million (2.7%)

But China is also the world biggest rice importer, despite the fact of being the world biggest rice producer. Does India import or export rice?

View attachment 870489

Below are the 15 countries that imported the highest dollar value worth of rice during 2021.
  • China: US$1.9 billion (7.3% of total rice imports)
  • Philippines: $1.2 billion (4.5%)
  • Saudi Arabia: $1.1 billion (4.1%)
  • United States: $1 billion (3.8%)
  • Bangladesh: $939 million (3.5%)
  • Iraq: $716.5 million (2.7%)

Unlikely India imports rice.

Just checked, China is the world biggest rice producer but is also the world biggest rice importer, while India produces much less rice than China does but is the runaway leader of gloal rice exports, China and India have roughly the same population, how can it be even possible??

rice exporter.png

china rice import.png

Maybe it's because China gives away a lot of free food to less developed regions, especially in Xinjiang and Tibet, free school meals are largely provided to public schools in those regions, besides, food is cheap in the global market, China has tons of money and simply buys them from India.

Back
Top Bottom