What's new

India to be the largest beef exporter

Who would buy buffalo meat :bad:

Except for some 'inquisitive' consumers, the main factor is price.

India's beef/buffalo exports boom - McDonald's to open 1100 outlets in 2011 - International trade

India is poised to become the world’s largest exporter of beef/buffalo meat next year according to the US Department of Agriculture.

A USDA report has forecast that India will overtake the Australia, Brazil and the US as in export volumes as demand for its buffalo meat grows among price sensitive customers in South East Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

"Given India's explosive export growth, India is likely to become the world's largest beef (buffalo meat) exporter by 2013, if not sooner," the USDA said.

However the report also notes that Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) status will continue to greatly limit India’s ability to access new and higher-value markets.

“While there are rumours of new market openings in Eastern Europe and Indonesia, no known trade has yet occurred in these regions and India's FMD status makes this seem unlikely," it said.

A report in The Indian Express newspaper said Indian exporters were operating voluntary vaccination programs to combat FMD, and the government had funded a program to tackle the disease.

While these programs were positive steps, the reality of FMD remained a significant hurdle for expanding market access, USDA said.

In October last year the USDA forecast that Australia and Brazil would remain the largest exporters of beef in 2012 with exports of 1.38m tonnes each, followed by India at 1.28m tonnes and the US with 1.25mt.

That forecast said factors other than price would also help to expand Indian buffalo meat exports, particularly to North Africa and the Middle East.

“Meat is slaughtered following Halal standards and the lean character of buffalo meat has several positive blending characteristics sought by processors,” the USDA said.

India has a herd of 185m buffalo. Ample supplies and relative weak domestic demand mean that it relies on export markets to absorb increased production.

hey doc you from pune right ? you could probably answer this question . in the mid 90s there used to be a place called "jaws" in abc food farms . is it still there?

by the way i love kareems which you showed up here . used to parcel food from there ever time i went next door to victory .
by the way what is this radio hotel famous for and where is it?

Yes bro - Jaws was in an old bawa bungalow on the left going towards CTC hill from MG Road side. Related to my wife's side of the family.

My favorite haunt in my AFMC days. The famous super duper oozing with mayo and home made sauce Jaws Special - eat one and that's lunch or dinner taken care of for studnts on a budget. Also nice was the tongue roll and sausage surprise.

He also had an old fashioned Juke Box (with all our college classics), a dart board, a TT table. The old steps at the back of the bungalow was the favorite haunt of the dopey crowd. Common meeting place of AFMCites and the Iranis on their RD 350s. Lots of famous punchups as well. As well as makeup bongs.

Jaws was the cultural and music center of the Pune of the 80s and 90s. Every Friday one of the local bands had a gig (Jet Set, Agni, Shiva, Anastamosis - that was our college band). Great music, great crowd, great food, lots of smoke and drink, lots of making out everywhere, no curfew, no cops. :)

Then the guy went big. Started Jaws Entertainment/Event Management. Did big shows. Miss India, etc. The bungalow was under litigation, and then a builder moved in. And that was the end of an era. In many ways the end of college life for our generation in the mid 90s.

Good times ain

Bruger King (not the international chain) just down the road, also owned by a bawa, also related, was always the poor second cousin. But today he is what keeps us going. I don't want to even imagine a day he too shuts down. :(

ABC Farms is different. Also owned by a bawa. Who went to Germany, studied there, married a German girl, learned the art of making cheese from her dad, then came back to India, and set up ABC Farms in Pune. Cheeses, yogurts, Lemsi (lemon lassi), milk, spreads, fondues, potli paneer (my favorite), and lots of other good stuff for kids like softies, mould walla churned fresh fruit ice cream, etc. They are on MG Road.

Another classic is Cake-n-Counter, run by an anglo couple. Amazing chocolate cakes, balsck forests, chcoco walnut, ineapple cheese cake, etc. Just down the road.

Radio Hotel is a typical miya bhai joint, slightly middle middle class. The equivalent lower middle class joints are Bismillah and Nayaab. A similar Irani joint also close by is Shahi Dawat, more upper middle class in the gentry it gets and cleanliness. All are in the midst of Shivaji Market, just behind Hanuman Mandir off MG Road.

Tawa gosht, kati rolls, mutton/beef masala, kaleji-gurda masala, bheja masala/fry, paya, chaap, anda keema (forget its technical name), biryani (not recommended), seek kabab, shami kabab, and laccha paratha and those huge tandoori rotis. Nice!

Hite Bar is owned, manned, and run by arabs I think (Jordan, Yemen, not sure). Nice liver, tongue, brain rolls and bugers, shawarma, Hite Special (long distant second cousin of Jaws Special), and other exotic stuff which in general is too bland for our palate.

Kareem's is the famous chain which only recently took over the old Olympia Katee Roll place near Victory. More for biryanis and curries. The katee rols are still the same - just that the name Karem's has added a lot to the price.

Yes bro - Jaws was in an old bawa bungalow on the left going towards CTC hill from MG Road side. Related to my wife's side of the family.

My favorite haunt in my AFMC days. The famous super duper oozing with mayo and home made sauce Jaws Special - eat one and that's lunch or dinner taken care of for studnts on a budget. Also nice was the tongue roll and sausage surprise.

He also had an old fashioned Juke Box (with all our college classics), a dart board, a TT table. The old steps at the back of the bungalow was the favorite haunt of the dopey crowd. Common meeting place of AFMCites and the Iranis on their RD 350s. Lots of famous punchups as well. As well as makeup bongs.

Jaws was the cultural and music center of the Pune of the 80s and 90s. Every Friday one of the local bands had a gig (Jet Set, Agni, Shiva, Anastamosis - that was our college band). Great music, great crowd, great food, lots of smoke and drink, lots of making out everywhere, no curfew, no cops. :)

Then the guy went big. Started Jaws Entertainment/Event Management. Did big shows. Miss India, etc. The bungalow was under litigation, and then a builder moved in. And that was the end of an era. In many ways the end of college life for our generation in the mid 90s.

Good times ain

Bruger King (not the international chain) just down the road, also owned by a bawa, also related, was always the poor second cousin. But today he is what keeps us going. I don't want to even imagine a day he too shuts down. :(

ABC Farms is different. Also owned by a bawa. Who went to Germany, studied there, married a German girl, learned the art of making cheese from her dad, then came back to India, and set up ABC Farms in Pune. Cheeses, yogurts, Lemsi (lemon lassi), milk, spreads, fondues, potli paneer (my favorite), and lots of other good stuff for kids like softies, mould walla churned fresh fruit ice cream, etc. They are on MG Road.

Another classic is Cake-n-Counter, run by an anglo couple. Amazing chocolate cakes, balsck forests, chcoco walnut, ineapple cheese cake, etc. Just down the road.

Radio Hotel is a typical miya bhai joint, slightly middle middle class. The equivalent lower middle class joints are Bismillah and Nayaab. A similar Irani joint also close by is Shahi Dawat, more upper middle class in the gentry it gets and cleanliness. All are in the midst of Shivaji Market, just behind Hanuman Mandir off MG Road.

Tawa gosht, kati rolls, mutton/beef masala, kaleji-gurda masala, bheja masala/fry, paya, chaap, anda keema (forget its technical name), biryani (not recommended), seek kabab, shami kabab, and laccha paratha and those huge tandoori rotis. Nice!

Hite Bar is owned, manned, and run by arabs I think (Jordan, Yemen, not sure). Nice liver, tongue, brain rolls and bugers, shawarma, Hite Special (long distant second cousin of Jaws Special), and other exotic stuff which in general is too bland for our palate.

Kareem's is the famous chain which only recently took over the old Olympia Katee Roll place near Victory. More for biryanis and curries. The katee rols are still the same - just that the name Karem's has added a lot to the price.

I think you mean King Burger.

This totally inhuman----if it hits the news waves in the u s tv---good bye meat exports---.
this is not india.. what a fake site this is.. the truck seen next to the cattle truck.. such ones done exist in india

Who cares?

image.jpg

money.jpg

Now that's what I call a "cash cow" :rofl:

Disgusting :bad:.

i have eaten Indian beef in Dubai yae cheap but bad quality sali old cows after years considering them as mothers and serving them when the get old cut the bad the and sell oo yea that’s right. Any way the Indian beef is not good takes years to cook mate.

Good times ain

hell i am in pune next week , would love to go to radio . could you ple PM me the directions. thanks.
i know the owners of ABC farms . well i actually know their daughter Tina:)

No, its Burger King. That was a spello.

King Burger (60 bucks) is the giant plate sized bun walla single pattie beef burger that is their bestseller.

you know of all the places i had the best chicken burger in mahableshwar. there is a supermarket at the end of main street , makes great burgers for 75 Rs.
i usually stay in camp when i come over to pune mate. my favorite is Georges. i used love naaz cafe but unfortunately that got replaces with some sort of a stores. :(

you know of all the places i had the best chicken burger in mahableshwar. there is a supermarket at the end of main street , makes great burgers for 75 Rs.
i usually stay in camp when i come over to pune mate. my favorite is Georges. i used love naaz cafe but unfortunately that got replaces with some sort of a stores. :(

So when you are here next week, lets have an Indian chapter of PDF bada khana (that is unless you have private plans already line up) :) Have I emailed you my number before?

Yeah, Naaz and Maha Naaz have been replaced by Wills Lifestyle and Adidas.

You can get the same oily samosa at Kohinoor on MG Road though (recent discovery!) :)

Burger King serves a mean Jumbo Chicken burger too. But the best (though I consider chicken to be a step ahead of ghaas foos - barely) is at Burger Barn in khao galli (lane 6) in Koregaon Park (same place as Arthur's Theme etc.)

So when you are here next week, lets have an Indian chapter of PDF bada khana (that is unless you have private plans already line up) :) Have I emailed you my number before?

Yeah, Naaz and Maha Naaz have been replaced by Wills Lifestyle and Adidas.

You can get the same oily samosa at Kohinoor on MG Road though (recent discovery!) :)

no mate i dont have your ph no . will pm you my email now.

you know if you just go to karad ever . there is a hotel called sangam . its on the main road just as you enter karad on the kolahapur highway . they have one of the best dishes i have ever tasted in mutton . maratha durbar mutton . a must try for ever foody .(the best has to be karims mutton stew in delhi.)

Back
Top Bottom