What's new

India To Attempt Local Overhaul of Troubled An-32 Fleet

... would there not be issues for the Indian private sector to "go it alone' without OEM support to carry out such intensive overhaul and upgradation of these birds?

Why? Do you really think these are still under warrantee?
Antonov's reaction makes me think not so ... you can essentially do as you want!
Go Chinese on those birds : strip one and copy everything you need.
The "mercenary engineers" I suggested would be the ones providing experience.
Anyone qualified at large for whole refurbs, ideally with a past on Ukrainian types.

@Blue Marlin There :
Any idea what platform will replace of C17 in USAF in future?
Rant on as the kids used to say! ( Oh, no sorry that was rave on, heh same thing! ) :victory:

Later mates, Tay.

Last edited:
so what now? what about the kc-390 or the c27j or an enlarged version of the c295?
C-27J is a no go, an enlarged version of the C-295 wouldn't be a bad idea but as @PARIKRAMA and I have discussed previously the C-130XJ seems like a decent substitute and LM would set up a production line in INdia to service the IAF's needs and India would be able to become the regional C-130 MRO hub.

Why? Do you really think these are still under warrantee?
Antonov's reaction makes me think not so ... you can essentially do as you want!
Go Chinese on those birds : strip one and copy everything you need.
The "mercenary engineers" I suggested would be the ones providing experience.
Anyone qualified at large for whole refurbs, ideally with a past on Ukrainian types.

@Blue Marlin Rant on as the kids used to say! ( Oh, no sorry that was rave on, heh same thing! ) :victory:

Later mate, Tay.
In that case

make-it-so.png

Then again, this is Indian decsion makers we are talking about- not exactly the type to think out of the box.

I put forward a resolution that IAF be disbanded and all its assets be given to IN. Seriously.
They have made a Fcuk out of what could have been a formidable Air force.

Get TATA and Mahindra, get them both 2 airframe. Put up a challenge to reverse engineer and come up with Indian An32.

I put forward a resolution that IAF be disbanded and all its assets be given to IN. Seriously.
They have made a Fcuk out of what could have been a formidable Air force.
That's very unfair. The IAF had a plan in place (MTA) and a redundancy (AN-32RE upgrade)- it is not their fault that Russia has screwed them on both counts.

That's very unfair. The IAF hadhassan in place (MTA) and a redundancy (AN-32RE upgrade)- it is not their fault that Russia has screwed them on both counts.
Yes IAF can't really do anything on AN32s, its collectively that our organisation has failed.

Yes IAF can't really do anything on AN32s, its collectively that our organisation has failed.
Well it was out of India's hands, external factors (see the Crimean crisis) that has led to this mess and no one could have foreseen that.

Well it was out of India's hands, external factors (see the Crimean crisis) that has led to this mess and no one could have foreseen that.

What stopped us so many years to get our Engineers and experts to get their hands on this?
Look at what Chinese did with An12, now they have their own platform to do almost everything and any thing.

But, oh.... I forgot. We are talking about Indian mechanism here.

What stopped us so many years to get our Engineers and experts to get their hands on this?
Look at what Chinese did with An12, now they have their own platform to do almost everything and any thing.

But, oh.... I forgot. We are talking about Indian mechanism here.
It's rather redundant to compare India and China, a lot of what China does by way of reverse engineering is out of necessity (as no one will sell them high end military gear) and is frowned upon by the international community becuase of their disregard for IPRs. India prefers to work with OEM to upgrade/service their equipment which has its own benefits.

It's rather redundant to compare India and China, a lot of what China does by way of reverse engineering is out of necessity (as no one will sell them high end military gear) and is frowned upon by the international community becuase of their disregard for IPRs. India prefers to work with OEM to upgrade/service their equipment which has its own benefits.

Agreed , we are not same.

But logic says there are some places where we should have had done it. For example, the situation in Ukraine.

If we are even 50% as proactive as the Chinese, we will have 1500HP engine for tanks , Gas Turbines , Diesel Sets, etc at our disposal. But alas.

And one thing is wrong, China didn't reverse engineering due to constraints of politics, rather to reduce price.
In 1990s, the west very well knew that China will reverse engineer its equipment but it kept supplying them with Missiles, Radars, Sonars, Helicopters, Torpedoes, and what not.

The main reason for reverse engineering was high cost of imports.

Why not hire a base of qualified engineers out of Ukraine ( some could be tempted under circumstances )
or from other origins ( Israel, South Af etc ) and give the An-32 refurb to a private player ( say Tata )?
That would kick start MII and fix your bug. You'd also be surprised how much great work some in-house
maintenance units do in many top AFs. Maybe they could take a bit of the load?

As for anant_s' Q. :
A- A400 M :yahoo:. . . in a couple years when Airbus has smoothed out the present kinks!

8-) Great evening all, Tay.

The problem is not qualified engineers but PARTS.

Those are not available. Alternative is to start making those parts yourself and that is almost impossible unless we are really that desperate.

What do you think engineers design and make, Rak?

8-) Tay.

OK, once more you seem bent on your own line of thought, to which you're entitled.

Fine by me, not my air force circus not my grease monkeys!
Just throw these away then and buy new stuff, see if I care!

Some of your compatriots may disagree though, just take it
up with them!

Good day, Tay.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom