What's new

India tests Astra BVRAAM

BHUBNESWAR: India on Wednesday test-fired its short-range Astra air-to-air missile from a defence base in Orissa for the second time in two days, defence sources said.

The beyond visual range missile was tested at 2.05 p.m. from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in the district of Balasore, about 230 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

Astra is a high-end tactical missile and is envisaged to intercept enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in head-on mode at a range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km.

The missile was earlier tested Tuesday, for the first time at night. "We are analyzing the data of both the tests" S.P. Dash, director of the test range told media.

I think its a fake news, Astra is not short range missile(80km) and if its air to air bvr missile than why it is tested from ground site.:lol:

Most of todays aircrafts go much faster than that, so it may be only for chasing and not for killing :what::cry:

Its refering to the speed of the jet and not the speed of the missile. The missile itself has a speed of Mach 4+

Its refering to the speed of the jet and not the speed of the missile. The missile itself has a speed of Mach 4+

And if enemy aircraft goes higher than Mach 1.4?? Most of the aircraft do achieve such speeds!

I think its a fake news, Astra is not short range missile(80km) and if its air to air bvr missile than why it is tested from ground site.:lol:

Bcoz Usain Bolt was a New Born Some Time and He Was not "The Fastest Man" at the age of 1 month.

Hope u wont ask ur new born son to win Olympics !!

Besides, if u r not convinced ...

Why not confirm it by having an Astra BVRAAM fired on a Real F16.
You will know if the Missile is capable or NOT and Indians will be really Thankful to PAF to avail them live Target.

This will also enhance defense co operations.

And if enemy aircraft goes higher than Mach 1.4?? Most of the aircraft do achieve such speeds!

Most missiles are designed to survive 8 - 9 g. that is a very high acceleration indeed. Pilots of most planes can pull much less. A missile is very agile and the maneuverability is with a point objective to kill. The reaction time for a pilot after he is in close range with an active seeking missile is small and even the most tight turns can't save the aircraft on most occasions. The options left are counter measures including jamming. In that scenario, it is not the speed of the missile but its robust seeker that is put to test.
:cheers:

Most missiles are designed to survive 8 - 9 g. that is a very high acceleration indeed. Pilots of most planes can pull much less. A missile is very agile and the maneuverability is with a point objective to kill. The reaction time for a pilot after he is in close range with an active seeking missile is small and even the most tight turns can't save the aircraft on most occasions. The options left are counter measures including jamming. In that scenario, it is not the speed of the missile but its robust seeker that is put to test.

Most missiles are designed to survive much higher g force that 9, as they are moving very fast compared to an aircraft, they would suffer more acceleration for similar turning radius.

The press release say it can intercept targets with speeds mach 1.2 - 1.4. But most fighter aircraft can exceed this limit. This is what I am asking, can a plane avoid it just by going faster?!!

Any thing wrong ?? ... Plz educate me.

Thank You.

I do not want to derail thread. I can educate you on this particular topic any other time.
For now, you can carry on your party.

But if you want me to start this discussion here, then I am ready.

Most missiles are designed to survive much higher g force that 9, as they are moving very fast compared to an aircraft, they would suffer more acceleration for similar turning radius.

The press release say it can intercept targets with speeds mach 1.2 - 1.4. But most fighter aircraft can exceed this limit. This is what I am asking, can a plane avoid it just by going faster?!!

That is exactly what I said : Unlikely.

room for improvement is alway thr but that I guess ASTRA is sufficient for most aircrafts. Oh I spoke too soon. Its still being tested ...:azn:

dude no country in the world would test a prototype missile directly on a fighter first they go for a ground based tests after successful trails then they will go for plane based launch test ( fired by a fighter plane ) then they will integrate a live warhead, seeker and then upload the source codes for live firing test . it is done by shooting down a drone after a series of all these tests it is ready for induction. so know the facts before you comment

any missile will be fisrt tested from ground testing range after it is successful they will test from a plane

Back
Top Bottom