What's new

india test fired prithvi 2

India test-fires nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile - The Times of India

India on Tuesday test-fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile, which is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and has a strike range of 350 km, from a test range at Chandipur near here.

The test was carried out as part of a user trial by the Army. The surface-to-surface missile was test fired from a mobile launcher in salvo mode from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at about 0948 hrs.

"The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of DRDO as part of training exercise," the sources said.

"The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha," they said.

"The downrange teams onboard the ship deployed near the designated impact point in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown," they said.

Inducted into India's SFC in 2003, Prithvi II, the first missile to be developed by DRDO under India's prestigious IGMDP (Integrated Guided Missile Development Program) is now a proven technology, said a defence source.

"The launch was part of a regular training exercise of SFC and was monitored by DRDO scientists," the source said.

Such training launches clearly indicate India's operational readiness to meet any eventuality and also establishes the reliability of this deterrent component of India's Strategic arsenal, the source said.

Prithvi-II is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and is thrusted by liquid propulsion twine engines. It uses advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory.

The last user trial of Prithvi-II was successfully carried out from the same base on December 3 last.

@AhaseebA
As I mentioned, regardless of what they state, every time a Prithvi II is being tested, it means they are testing something new that can only be validated by an actual flight test and not simulations.

@AhaseebA
As I mentioned, regardless of what they state, every time a Prithvi II is being tested, it means they are testing something new that can only be validated by an actual flight test and not simulations.

Ooooooorr.... SFC is performance, quality testing the P2. Ahaseeb argument around that is valid.

@AhaseebA
Ooooooorr.... SFC is performance, quality testing the P2. Ahaseeb argument around that is valid.

Tested on 6th oct and 8th Oct 2013
Prithvi-II test-fired again - The Hindu

Tested on 3rd Dec 2013
Prithvi-II missile test-fired by the Army - The Hindu

Tested on 7th Jan 2014
Army conducts user trial of Prithvi-II - The Hindu

Four tests of an already operational and inducted missile in four months??

Of course there is some thing fishy here.

@AhaseebA

LOL, They are just testing whether the guys in SFC are sure which "Red Button" is to be pressed. :-)

Good news !! So many tests in few months time. Seems like they are perfecting the retaliation strategy for cold start doctrine.

I guess prithvi will score century tests pretty soon...:D

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom