What's new

India tells US to hand over David Headley 'temporarily' for a year

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India has asked the US to "temporarily" hand over LeT terrorist David Headley for a year and extradite his accomplice Tahawwur Hussain Rana to get more information about the conspiracy hatched to carry out Mumbai terror attacks.

In its fresh efforts to get access to the Pakistani American terrorist, India has conveyed to the American interlocutors to "temporarily" hand over Headley for a year after the US expressed its inability to extradite him.

The request was made during the Indo-US Homeland Security Dialogue held in Washington between May 20-22.

"The US interlocutors assured us to actively consider the request," a top Indian official, who participated in the meeting, said.

Washington also assured New Delhi to positively consider the request to extradite Headley's Pakistani-Canadian friend Rana, who helped Headley to recce the 26/11 targets for Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Following India's consistent persuasion, the US has indicated to interlocutors that India could be given access to Headley for the second time to get more information about the conspiracy hatched to carry out the 2008 attack.

So far, the US has not given any opportunity to question Rana, who was sentenced by an American court for his involvement in a terror plot in Denmark.

Indian investigators believe that if they could quiz Rana, many hidden information could come into light as he was a close associate of Headley.

The investigators believe that Headley and Rana have a lot of information and their interrogations could throw more light on the conspiracy hatched to carry out the worst terror strike in India and role of those behind it.

51-year-old Headley had pleaded guilty to 12 terrorism charges, including his involvement in the November 2008 attacks that claimed 166 lives. He had, however, entered into plea bargain with US authorities.

A court in the US had sentenced 52-year-old Rana to 14 years in jail followed by five years of supervised release.

Rana was convicted for providing material support to LeT and for backing a "dastardly" plot to attack a Danish newspaper but not convicted for the Mumbai terror attack despite being a close associate of Headley.

Link - India tells US to hand over David Headley 'temporarily' for a year - The Times of India

Though i doubt this will happen , it would be a huge deal if it does.

Seriously of the shoe was on the other foot the US would be going ape$h!t over this and DEMANDING extradition. Whilst I don't buy it- this sort of behaviour on the US part only fuels conspiracy theories about him being a double agent working for the CIA or whatever.

What have the US got against sending him to India and that too only temporarily??

Seriously of the shoe was on the other foot the US would be going ape$h!t over this and DEMANDING extradition. Whilst I don't buy it- this sort of behaviour on the US part only fuels conspiracy theories about him being a double agent working for the CIA or whatever.

What have the US got against sending him to India and that too only temporarily??

US would not demand. US would send in seal teams into India to extract anyone that commit terror against the US.

On the other hand, India is asking too much. What India should ask for is for the rights to "interrogate" the said person.

US would not demand. US would send in seal teams into India to extract anyone that commit terror against the US.

sking too much. What India should ask for is for the rights to "interrogate" the said person.

Ya right. We live in Pakistan :rofl:

And Seals are the only soilders in the world Americanoooo

Ya right. We live in Pakistan :rofl:

And Seals are the only soilders in the world Americanoooo

Seals are the best. And believe me, US would not hesitate to send in Seals into India like how we went them into Pakistan if you guys have someone like Osama Bin Laden.

As of now, we have in our custody someone India wants. India can ask politely to speak to this terrorist. I would allow India to do enhanced interrogation on this guy for as long as you want and long as this guy's life is not in danger.

Seals are the best. And believe me, US would not hesitate to send in Seals into India like how we went them into Pakistan if you guys have someone like Osama Bin Laden.

As of now, we have in our custody someone India wants. India can ask politely to speak to this terrorist. I would allow India to do enhanced interrogation on this guy for as long as you want and long as this guy's life is not in danger.

Ok. Seals are the best. Superman like. Ok.
Now enlighten me about any incident where a seal team was sent to pick up a "package" where a functioning govt existed and no internal turmoil was present.

If we have somebody like OBL in our territory he face indian law NOT some trigger happy Yankee seal bullets.

And India is asking for the said man. And get your facts correct indian agencies were denied the access to the man. For obvious reasons which US don't want India to find out

US never have to go into India because India is smart enough not to harbor terrorist. If for some reason Indian gov turn to not be so smart, than US would still go in.

I am sorry that US gov is preventing you from interrogating this man. Its despicable that the US government over stepping its own law and must have done something that it should not have done. I for one would support handing over of this guy to India now and blow this illegal act up once and for all. As a Rand Paul/ Ted Cruz supporter, I'm done with the US government that has total disregard for liberty.

What India should ask for is for the rights to "interrogate" the said person.

And what do you think India is asking for when they ask for him for a year? The NIA and other Indian agencies have already gone over to the US and interrogated him but now they want 1 year with him to interrogate him more.

Seriously a massive d!ck move by the US for not handing him over to date. If this is the precedent they want to set then other nations should take note and give the US the same treatment the next time the US makes such a request.

Selfish fools- an attack happens in India, who cares right? An attack happens in the US let's go start a war, start another war with a completely unrelated nation and kill a bunch of innocents in the process- we're America we can do what the f**k we like, right??!

US never have to go into India because India is smart enough not to harbor terrorist. If for some reason Indian gov turn to not be so smart, than US would still go in.

I am sorry that US gov is preventing you from interrogating this man. Its despicable that the US government over stepping its own law and must have done something that it should not have done. I for one would support handing over of this guy to India now and blow this illegal act up once and for all. As a Rand Paul/ Ted Cruz supporter, I'm done with the US government that has total disregard for liberty.

Nah, if the US hasn't even got the b@lls to go into Pakistan (over than a few drone attacks) and dismantle the terror camps that are harboring terrorists who are being trained to attack them, the West and India then they aren't going to go into India. But anyway India isn't a rouge nation who harbors such animals- they are taken out when found.

You realise the SEALs went in because OBL was most likely being protected by the Govt of Pakistan and the US knew, from past experince, that they couldn't trust the Pakistanis so going through diplomatic and security channels was out of the question. Direct action was a measure of last resort. Comparing this scenario with India is entirely moot- Apples and Oranges.

The UK has people the US want extradited- do they send in DEVGRU?? No- they act like any civilized society and talk and negotiate.

Pakistan and OBL is a very unique set of circumstances that should not enlarge the egos of fanboys thinking the US will do this with any nation that disagrees with them.

And what do you think India is asking for when they ask for him for a year? The NIA and other Indian agencies have already gone over to the US and interrogated him but now they want 1 year with him to interrogate him more.

Seriously a massive d!ck move by the US for not handing him over to date. If this is the precedent they want to set then other nations should take note and give the US the same treatment the next time the US makes such a request.

Selfish fools- an attack happens in India, who cares right? An attack happens in the US let's go start a war, start another war with a completely unrelated nation and kill a bunch of innocents in the process- we're America we can do what the f**k we like, right??!

Nah, if the US hasn't even got the b@lls to go into Pakistan (over than a few drone attacks) and dismantle the terror camps that are harboring terrorists who are being trained to attack them, the West and India then they aren't going to go into India. But anyway India isn't a rouge nation who harbors such animals- they are taken out when found.

As you said, India is not a rouge nation to harbor such a terrorist. And so I don't for see US going into India to extract someone unless India become a rouge nation.

In any case, you just ignore my support for India taking over this criminal.

You realise the SEALs went in because OBL was most likely being protected by the Govt of Pakistan and the US knew, from past experince, that they couldn't trust the Pakistanis so going through diplomatic and security channels was out of the question. Direct action was a measure of last resort. Comparing this scenario with India is entirely moot- Apples and Oranges.

The UK has people the US want extradited- do they send in DEVGRU?? No- they act like any civilized society and talk and negotiate.

Pakistan and OBL is a very unique set of circumstances that should not enlarge the egos of fanboys thinking the US will do this with any nation that disagrees with them.

Trust me, if UK have Osama Bin Laden, and UK refuse to hand him over. US would even go in and extract him.

But then again, for UK to protect OBL, UK has become a rogue nation already. And they would easily be scratch off the list of allies and the whole Nato framework would in a jeopardy. And thus the issue of just someone like OBL is mute as this would be a minor issue compare to the disintegration of the western alliance.

Back
Top Bottom