What's new

India takes dim view of British bid to broker Af-Pak strategic pact

indian_foxhound

Reaction score
http://www.timesofindia.com/india/I...f-Pak-strategic-pact/articleshow/18338160.cms

NEW DELHI: India is taking a dim
view of British efforts to push
through a strategic partnership
agreement between Afghanistan
and Pakistan as British PM David
Cameron played host to Asif Ali Zardari and Hamid Karzai at his
country residence, Chequers. India's peeve stems from its firm
belief that the UK is looking at the
Afghanistan issue from a
Pakistani point of view, without involving countries like India into it. Cameron
announced on Monday that Afghanistan and
Pakistan would sign a strategic partnership
agreement by this autumn. As Cameron prepares
to visit here later this year, this issue is expected
to feature in high-level discussions with the Indian leadership. India also remains deeply skeptical of British
interests and intentions in this region. While India
and the US have now established deep contacts
on their activities in Afghanistan, including a
trilateral format dialogue with Afghanistan, New
Delhi has no such interaction with London on an issue that affects Indian interests deeply. This has led to greater suspicion of the UK's
activities particularly because they seem to be
placing Pakistan at the centre of a peace deal,
when Islamabad remains one of the prime
sponsors of the Taliban. Senior Taliban leaders are
given safe haven by Pakistan, and any peace resolution in Afghanistan includes bringing the
Taliban into the power structure in Kabul. This has obviously found resonance in London.
Indian and US officials say British interlocutors
had a big role in the drafting of the five-point
peace process roadmap for Afghanistan which
again places Pakistan front and centre of any
deal. Sources here said Karzai has expressed apprehension with any such plan, but his
vulnerability next year is leading him to clutch at
straws, including Pakistan, despite being
painfully aware of the Taliban influence. India worries that British intervention could
result in a hastily-cobbled deal between
Afghanistan and Pakistan, which would give the
NATO powers a fig leaf for their departure from
Afghanistan. But a poorly crafted peace resolution, with exit as
the goal, may not be the best thing for a post-exit
peace. For many Indians the memories of 1947,
and the British departure from the sub-continent
leaving behind unbridled blood-letting has
deepened skepticism of the British initiative.

Who cares why you Indians are complaining all the time regarding Pakistan matters whether its John Kerry appointment, Gawadar port, A'stan or Pakistan cricket league.:angry:
You guys are trouble makers you don't have any interests in A'stan, Americans assigned you job to spend money where they can't due to budget cuts in exchange they allowed you to do terrorism in Pakistan now they are going so you also have to pack your bags.:sick:

I have no idea why the UK is taking the lead in this role. It really is bewildering. The UK is a so far removed from this region and ground realities it is a joke. I am sick of the UK going around like it is still one of the big boys- the UK is NOT. The UKG should be so ashmed of the part they have played in the current issues (Empire) that they should stay the eff away from the issue.

And any talks that don't involveing ALL the big players in the region-Iran,India, Pakistan and China are doomed to fail.

Who cares why you Indians are complaining all the time regarding Pakistan matters whether its John Kerry appointment, Gawadar port, A'stan or Pakistan cricket league.:angry:
You guys are trouble makers you don't have any interests in A'stan, Americans assigned you job to spend money where they can't due to budget cuts in exchange they allowed you to do terrorism in Pakistan now they are going so you also have to pack your bags.:sick:

You are such a valued member on this site, please don't ever stop sharing your insight.

India takes dim view of British bid to broker Af-Pak strategic pact - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: India is taking a dim
view of British efforts to push
through a strategic partnership
agreement between Afghanistan
and Pakistan as British PM David
Cameron played host to Asif Ali Zardari and Hamid Karzai at his
country residence, Chequers. India's peeve stems from its firm
belief that the UK is looking at the
Afghanistan issue from a
Pakistani point of view, without involving countries like India into it. Cameron
announced on Monday that Afghanistan and
Pakistan would sign a strategic partnership
agreement by this autumn. As Cameron prepares
to visit here later this year, this issue is expected
to feature in high-level discussions with the Indian leadership. India also remains deeply skeptical of British
interests and intentions in this region. While India
and the US have now established deep contacts
on their activities in Afghanistan, including a
trilateral format dialogue with Afghanistan, New
Delhi has no such interaction with London on an issue that affects Indian interests deeply. This has led to greater suspicion of the UK's
activities particularly because they seem to be
placing Pakistan at the centre of a peace deal,
when Islamabad remains one of the prime
sponsors of the Taliban. Senior Taliban leaders are
given safe haven by Pakistan, and any peace resolution in Afghanistan includes bringing the
Taliban into the power structure in Kabul. This has obviously found resonance in London.
Indian and US officials say British interlocutors
had a big role in the drafting of the five-point
peace process roadmap for Afghanistan which
again places Pakistan front and centre of any
deal. Sources here said Karzai has expressed apprehension with any such plan, but his
vulnerability next year is leading him to clutch at
straws, including Pakistan, despite being
painfully aware of the Taliban influence. India worries that British intervention could
result in a hastily-cobbled deal between
Afghanistan and Pakistan, which would give the
NATO powers a fig leaf for their departure from
Afghanistan. But a poorly crafted peace resolution, with exit as
the goal, may not be the best thing for a post-exit
peace. For many Indians the memories of 1947,
and the British departure from the sub-continent
leaving behind unbridled blood-letting has
deepened skepticism of the British initiative.

Like I said before, world doesnt care about India much and sooner you get out of this illusion better it would be. They will come to India only when India is going to order something and only at those occasion you can give them any speech bad mouthing Pakistan and they will do it...off course they dont mean it and the world knows it

I have no idea why the UK is taking the lead in this role. It really is bewildering. The UK is a so far removed from this region and ground realities it is a joke. I am sick of the UK going around like it is still one of the big boys- the UK is NOT. The UKG should be so ashmed of the part they have played in the current issues (Empire) that they should stay the eff away from the issue.

And any talks that don't involveing ALL the big players in the region-Iran,India, Pakistan and China are doomed to fail.

You are such a valued member on this site, please don't ever stop sharing your insight.

because UK is US's puppy dog, US have had enough of these low cost wars and want to trasnfer control to their best subordinate

Like I said before, world doesnt care about India much and sooner you get out of this illusion better it would be. They will come to India only when India is going to order something and only at those occasion you can give them any speech bad mouthing Pakistan and they will do it...off course they dont mean it and the world knows it because UK is US's puppy dog, US have had enough of these low cost wars and want to trasnfer control to their best subordinate

The world cares about India. It is worried one day India might actually gets it act together. When that happens, it will be tremendous shift of global significance.

As these talks were held between Afghanistan And Pakistan and the talks themselves were organized by Govt of UK, India lacks locus standi on the matter and therefore it's remarks needn't be considered or given much attention.

The world cares about India. It is worried one day India might actually gets it act together. When that happens, it will be tremendous shift of global significance.

In North America 70% of people think they will win a lottery and don't have to save for retirement the odds of all of them wining are prolly better then what you are dreaming.Now let me smoke My Huqa with peace and stop jumping up and down

As these talks were held between Afghanistan And Pakistan and the talks themselves were organized by Govt of UK, India lacks locus standi on the matter and therefore it's remarks needn't be considered or given much attention.

I bet you didn't read the article at all... Pray show me where any Indian diplomat has commented something.. This article is just a narrative according to someone's perspective..

Objectivity is so hard to find these days !!

I have to believe that the Pakistani establishment has been arm twisted to involve the Brits.
Else 'sigh' have they not learned from history the nature of the Brits, they the Brits have never done anything without their own greed and vested interest in mind(as they should). As history has taught us. Well it should not surprise me as Pakistan only gained its independence(subjective) in 1956

When will the people of the subcontinent learn...

The British are smart and realize any deal that can be brokered must be done by Pakistan in the forefront or else there is little chance for real peace.

The British are smart and realize any deal that can be brokered must be done by Pakistan in the forefront or else there is little chance for real peace.

But you fail to realize other players will unleash proxies to wreak havoc. More players are involved.

oh.. PHLEASEEE .. stop flattering yourselves..

Iran can play a much tougher role than pakistan.. plus they have $ to do so.. pakistan can hope to play power politics one day when they stop relying on AID !!

oh.. PHLEASEEE .. stop flattering yourselves..

Iran can play a much tougher role than pakistan.. plus they have $ to do so.. pakistan can hope to play power politics one day when they stop relying on AID !!

Iran cannot play a role in forging real peace in Pakistan for two reasons, one they are at odds with every Western Nation, and two the Taliban and Iran have some bad blood between them due to history.

Pakistan is the only one who can push the right buttons, for ten years NATO refused to listen to Pakistan's proposals now they are giving Pakistan the lead so that shows the change in mindset. Plus Kerry has always been the most Pakistan friendly democrat. It is not flattery it is geopolitics, do not talk if you know nothing. India can only wait it out for now.

But you fail to realize other players will unleash proxies to wreak havoc. More players are involved.

Not necessarily, this is just to get the Taliban to stop fighting and share power with the other groups in Afghanistan. It should not harm anyone's interests.

In a nutshell, yup!

I bet you didn't read the article at all... Pray show me where any Indian diplomat has commented something.. This article is just a narrative according to someone's perspective..

Objectivity is so hard to find these days !!

At the end of the day, your countries "concerns" whatever they may be, do not figure in our calculations or agenda.

Every country will safeguard her own interests. Pakistan has a direct stake here, india has none.

I have to believe that the Pakistani establishment has been arm twisted to involve the Brits.
Else 'sigh' have they not learned from history the nature of the Brits, they the Brits have never done anything without their own greed and vested interest in mind(as they should). As history has taught us. Well it should not surprise me as Pakistan only gained its independence(subjective) in 1956

When will the people of the subcontinent learn...

Arm twisted by the Brits? :lol:

I seek your elaboration here

Back
Top Bottom