What's new

India surges to become the second-biggest buyer of American weapons

WTF .. $53K for one artillery shell. It is comparable to my yearly salary. :o:

No wonder all the arm companies running around Indian babus to get deal signed. We cannot even imagine the magnitude of money spend in weapons.

We can Buy from CHINA as well if "China support us permanent UN Seat"

:china::china::china::china::china::china::china::china:

Don't be surprised if by next year India becomes biggest arms importer for both USA and Russia( It already is a biggest buyer of Russian arms).

Is this a fact that India prides itself on?:lol:

Except that the russians offer options of using indigenous chips and source codes or alternates(hint: israeli,french). Which Americans don't. I have said enough on this issue..

In the first place, do the Russians even have an equivalent of the things we buy from USA? AH 64E, P-8I etc? Chinooks won a competition against Russianware. What indegenous chips are you referring to, that we could have fitted on these?

Besides, American weapons come at a fraction of the cost as French weapons do. Only when we cannot get the latest American weapons, do we need to go to Israel for the same.

BTW Russia does not allow us to fit American weapons on their fighters either. These are standard practices in the whole arms trade.

Whatever we are getting from USA are things that nobody else can give us.

Ah-64E = Mi-28N
P-8I = We ourselves operate Tu-142 and Il-38, which are being modernized as we speak.

Neither of which are anywhere close in capability to the American ones. There is a reason we are replacing the Tupolevs with P-8Is for the future. There is also a reason (several, actually) that the AH-64E was selected over the Mi-28N after extensive trials. Same with Chinooks.

The Longbow equipped AH-64E and the P8I do not have any rival anywhere in the world, in terms of technology. They are, quite simply, the best.

American Ah-64 D Apache wins Indian Tender For 22 Attack Helicopter by Defeating Russian Mi-28 N

The outcome of the tender for 22 attack helicopters for the Indian military has been revealed and the Russian Mi-28 N Night Hunter has lost out to the American AH-64D Apache helicopter. While the details of this outcome are yet to be revealed, it has been ascertained the Russian Mi-28 N did not meet several requirements posed by India in the tender.

According to sources, the Boeing Apache AH-64 D was placed above the Russian Mi-28 N in its staff evaluation report submitted to the Indian Ministry of Defence. Even the Indian Air Force (IAF) is said to have marked the Apache AH-64 D consistently over the Russian Mi-28 N contender in trials held mid-2010 at the desert and mountain air bases in India, according to sources.

They are close enough but that was not the point.

Don't you think I am aware that the Russians have attack helicopters? Obviously I meant that they do not have an equivalent in terms of capability. Not whether they have attack helos at all.

When I say that the IAF does not have the equivalent of an F-22, it is understood that I am talking about capability, and not saying that the IAF has no fighter jets at all.

BTW, in capability, the Ah-64E and Mi-28 are not close, not by a long shot.

Don't you think I am aware that the Russians have attack helicopters? Obviously I meant that they do not have an equivalent in terms of capability. Not whether they have attack helos at all.

When I say that the IAF does not have the equivalent of an F-22, it is understood that I am talking about capability, and not saying that the IAF has no fighter jets at all.

BTW, in capability, the Ah-64E and Mi-28 are not close, not by a long shot.
Oh really? Please elucidate the vast gap between Apache and Mi-28N and how that corresponds to the vast gap between a stealth fighter and a non-stealth fighter.

So india finally shifting gear from russia and france to uncle sam. This is expected.
Problem is the non availability of spares and heavy maintenance costs of Russian equipment.

And the French have too many hassles!

Back
Top Bottom