What's new

India set to test missile shield next week

Money is the problem. Bad economy and massive debt couple with crippling energy crisis is the problem.

Technology is also a problem.

Apart from the fact that Pakistan has low technological base compared to India, Pakistan's difficulty are also compounded by the fact that while India could base it's BMD system on radars as India could cover all of Pakistan by using ground based radars ( swordfish/rajendra ), Pakistan would need space based assets like those of US if it wants to have a functional BMD as radars would not be able to detect missile launch from Southern India.

Technology is also a problem.

Apart from the fact that Pakistan has low technological base compared to India, Pakistan's difficulty are also compounded by the fact that while India could base it's BMD system on radars as India could cover all of Pakistan by using ground based radars ( swordfish/rajendra ), Pakistan would need space based assets like those of US if it wants to have a functional BMD as radars would not be able to detect missile launch from Southern India.

I don't think technology is an issue here. I am sure that you will agree with me that Pakistan military structure works very differently than India. While India likes to re-invent the wheel (I mean it in positive sense), we rely on acquiring existing technologies from partner countries. If Pakistan would work on a BMD system I think the Chinese HQ-9 system will form the basis of that.

Space based assets again Pakistan cannot have those as it would be very expensive but than again we will have to rely on Chinese assets, however that would not be a problem in case of conflict with India.

What is the problem m8? You also make a Missile Shield ...simple.
Certainly they cant afford. Their military still dependent on foreign funds. They could get some missiles as a loan from China.

I don't think technology is an issue here. I am sure that you will agree with me that Pakistan military structure works very differently than India. While India likes to re-invent the wheel (I mean it in positive sense), we rely on acquiring existing technologies from partner countries. If Pakistan would work on a BMD system I think the Chinese HQ-9 system will form the basis of that.

Space based assets again Pakistan cannot have those as it would be very expensive but than again we will have to rely on Chinese assets, however that would not be a problem in case of conflict with India.

True,

But,

1. HQ-9 is a air defense system, a copy of S-300 to be exact. It could only defend against short range missiles like prithvi which are being phased out by India.

2. China does not have satellites meant for detecting missile launches and even if they get one,they won't share it with you.

3. For same amount of protection, India would have to spend much less compared to Pakistan.

True,

But,

1. HQ-9 is a air defense system, a copy of S-300 to be exact. It could only defend against short range missiles like prithvi which are being phased out by India.

Precisely why I said this would form the basis of our system. Real thing of course would be more tailored towards BMD role.

2. China does not have satellites meant for detecting missile launches and even if they get one,they won't share it with you.

On what basis are you suggesting that that China will not share it with us?

3. For same amount of protection, India would have to spend much less compared to Pakistan.

How so? developing a new system altogether or getting it from already developed systems, which is going to be cheaper? take your pick

However this whole conversation becomes moot as Pakistan has neither such a program nor the economy to develop or even get into one. We are already finding it hard to fund our existing projects.

That's partially true, but not entirely. For example, India reinvented the wheel with the Tejas program, while Pakistan made use of Chinese expertise in designing and testing the JF-17. But in many other programs India happily buys from abroad - after all, we are not the world's largest defence importer for nothing.;)

I think BMD is not something that would be available from abroad for love or for money. (I'm not sure about this, it's a guess.) It involves some cutting edge technologies, much more sophisticated than just missile technology - and even the latter is something that most countries do not part with. I've never heard of BMD systems being bought from another country, although the US does set up such systems to protect its allies. (Operated by the US.) The American move to set up a BMD in Poland was a major flashpoint for relations with Russia.

In any case, it is far cheaper to try and design ways to counter BMDs, than to design and build BMDs. At least, that's how it has been so far.

Precisely why I said this would form the basis of our system. Real thing of course would be more tailored towards BMD role.

It could only track and Engage Short range ballistic missiles like prithvi which has been retired from strategic use by India. India has Agni series and K-series of missiles which could not be tracked and engaged by S-Series od Air defense systems.

On what basis are you suggesting that that China will not share it with us?

For the same reason US does not share tech used F-35 even with paying partners and does not even sell F-22 to allies like Japan.

A infrared based space system is extremely sensitive technology and unlike GPS or GLONASS signal's, it would need user to remain logged into the system all the time. China, by sharing that system would make itself vulnerable to espionage.

How so? developing a new system altogether or getting it from already developed systems, which is going to be cheaper? take your pick

Radar based system of India would be much much cheaper than Satellite based system that Pakistan would require, even though ICBM's launch can't be detected by Radar based systems.

In any case, it is far cheaper to try and design ways to counter BMDs, than to design and build BMDs. At least, that's how it has been so far.

BMD's have high sunk cost but subsequent cost of BMD batteries is less than of Missiles they are tracking.If one can afford R&D and detector cost, it becomes cost effective in long run.

BMD's have high sunk cost but subsequent cost of BMD batteries is less than of Missiles they are tracking.If one can afford R&D and detector cost, it becomes cost effective in long run.

Are you sure about that? Any source to confirm?

India set to test missile shield next week

1398028635-2584.jpg

NEW DELHI : India is all set to test its anti-ballistic missile defence system for long range for the first time next week. This will be followed by trial of cruise missile Nirbhay (whose maiden test had failed last year) and air-to-air missile Astra next month, Avinash Chander, scientific adviser to Indian defence minister, said. Talking to reporters, Chander, who is also Defence Research and Development Organisation DG, said the unnamed missile interceptor will be tested from Wheeler Island.

best of luck.... :)

Nah,

Except the common known fact that per unit cost of interceptor missiles in much much less than IRBM's.
It's not just the cost of the missile alone that matters, but that of the tracking radars, the C&C nodes etc. Flinging a stone is always easier than running a system to evade all such stones. Similarly, throwing a missile should be easier and cheaper than elaborate measures to detect, track, scan and neutralize them.

It's not just the cost of the missile alone that matters, but that of the tracking radars, the C&C nodes etc. Flinging a stone is always easier than running a system to evade all such stones. Similarly, throwing a missile should be easier and cheaper than elaborate measures to detect, track, scan and neutralize them.

That why i said when i talked about sunk cost.

If a country could absorb sunk cost of R&D,C&C nodes and detectors, then BMD becomes cost efficient. It is cost efficient as the cost that you have to spend on intercepting missiles per piece is less than the cost that your enemy has to spend on their IRBM's per piece.

Once Knowlege base is there, BMD could be scaled up with little extra cost.

You make lot of sense. Please do post more

Back
Top Bottom