What's new

India Second Most Dangerous Country for Journalists in 2013: Report

Abu Zolfiqar

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Almost as many journalists died in India as in war-torn Syria in the first six months of this year, says a report by a media safety group.

Eight journalists lost their lives in Syria alone between January and June, according to a survey by the International News Safety Institute. Journalists have been attacked, detained, kidnapped and killed in crossfire and by both government and opposition forces, says the report. Syria was the deadliest country for the news media last year.

The second most dangerous country was India, where there were six casualties. The last time India was among the top five worst countries was in 2010.

Although the tally is high, the INSI report suggests that while one member of the news media was murdered because of his work, three were killed in what is thought to be a case of mistaken identity and two were killed in accidents.

In February, Nemi Chand Jain, a journalist from Chhattisgarh in central India, was found dead with his throat slit and a note clipped to his belt accusing him of being a police informer. The Committee to Protect Journalists later cited local media speculation that both local criminals and the police could be responsible for Jain’s murder.

And in May, three employees from a Bengali language daily were murdered by masked men who forced their way into the office. The unknown assailants killed the manager of the paper, Ranjit Choudhary, and then stabbed a proof reader and a driver to death as they left the building. In an interview after the incident, the editor of the paper said that he thought he was the real target but believed it was a case of mistaken identity.

Two Indian journalists were also killed in accidents while on assignment.

Pakistan was the third most dangerous country with five journalists killed in the first half of this year.

In recent years, Pakistan has consistently ranked among the most dangerous countries for journalists as they are caught between warring political parties, the security forces and militant or extremist networks.

The report said four journalists were killed in secondary explosions, a devastating tactic which targets first responders, such as emergency service workers and journalists, who rush to the site of a bomb blast.

At least four more media workers were killed in Egypt after June, making it now the fourth most dangerous country for journalists in 2013 so far.

Last year was the deadliest on record for journalists in Somalia. They continue to be targeted in the on-going struggle between the new government and Islamist militants. Militant group Al Shabaab has been blamed for many of the attacks on Somali journalists in the past twelve months.

According to the INSI report titled ‘Killing the Messenger’, of the 40 journalists and support staff killed between January and June, over half (21) were killed in peacetime as opposed to warfare.

The toll compares with 70 for the first six months of last year. However, INSI said it has recorded the deaths of an additional 27 journalists and support staff where it was unclear whether the killings were related to their work.

India second most dangerous country for journalists in 2013, after Syria: report - DAWN.COM

if journalists are killed, how is a "solace"

in fact in Pakistan every time there are protests in front of press clubs; the media "fraternity" makes it known when on of their own are killed/died.

I'm glad actually that the report did not consider Occupied J&K as "indian" because if they did, we ALL KNOW TOO WELL that the number would've been much higher. I personally know of a social-media blogger from Sri Nagar. Jail is always his second home, and he told me about a fellow blogger who was killed by your brave forces and labelled as a "mujahideen" by the sissies

The risks come with the job. Investigative journalism has its own risks what with numerous mafias, powerful corrupt people etc.

if journalists are killed, how is a "solace"

in fact in Pakistan every time there are protests in front of press clubs; the media "fraternity" makes it known when on of their own are killed/died.

Solace because Pakistan did not top the chart this time. I think last year you guys were first.

I'm glad actually that the report did not consider Occupied J&K as "indian" because if they did, we ALL KNOW TOO WELL that the number would've been much higher. I personally know of a social-media blogger from Sri Nagar. Jail is always his second home, and he told me about a fellow blogger who was killed by your brave forces and labelled as a "mujahideen" by the sissies

Nice story.

Where does it say it did not consider J&K? Anything that happens in Kashmir is an Indian matter anyways.

Nice story.

Where does it say it did not consider J&K? Anything that happens in Kashmir is an Indian matter anyways.

well see, that's the point -- it isn't.

anyways, "acid rain" - i'll see if i can find a copy of the report. If i do i'll post it here.

Solace because Pakistan did not top the chart this time. I think last year you guys were first.

unlike indians who prefer to live in la-la- land - we accept our faults.....you've been on the forum long enough to know that

RIP to the dead journalists... Lots of RTI activists are also killed in India Shame Shame.. This Congressi Govt is totally failed Govt in Last 63 years.

well see, that's the point -- it isn't.

anyways, "acid rain" - i'll see if i can find a copy of the report. If i do i'll post it here.

unlike indians who prefer to live in la-la- land - we accept our faults.....you've been on the forum long enough to know that

I accept that India on the whole is a dangerous place, there are hundreds of mafia in every town and city, village upper caste landlords have their own power circles, to top that many corrupt cops and politicians.
There is a nexus between Mafias, cops and politicians and anybody exposing that is risking his life and there are thousands of journalists and reporters who try to do exactly that. 8 journalists murdered by these goons is not exactly really a bad figure - it only proves that the journalists are doing their job and putting their life at risk.

The world's largest democracy is the 2nd most dangerous country for journalists :no:

Democracy gives one the Rights to Write and Say against the Wrong Doing of Ruling Government,

Can anyone in Your Country Do That?

Sure we can. We can protest in the street too. And no journalist ever got murdered.

Ever Heard of Tiananmen Square 1989,

How could you, Even Search for the Above Words are Prohibited at your Place.

The world's largest democracy is the 2nd most dangerous country for journalists :no:

I think we should follow China's example of regulating journalism by telling journalists what to report, when to report.

Why on earth is road accident included in the list? And why is the driver of the journalist also included in the list? :undecided:

Although the tally is high, research suggests that while one member of the news media was murdered because of his work, three were killed in what is thought to be a case of mistaken identity and two were killed in accidents

In February, Nemi Chand Jain, a journalist from Chhattisgarh in central India, was found dead with his throat slit and a note clipped to his belt accusing him of being a police informer. The Committee to Protect Journalists later cited local media speculation that both local criminals and the police could be responsible for Jain’s murder.

And in May, three employees from a Bengali language daily were murdered by masked men who forced their way into the office. The unknown assailants killed the manager of the paper, Ranjit Choudhary, and then stabbed a proof reader and a driver to death as they left the building. In an interview after the incident, the editor of the paper said that he thought he was the real target but believed it was a case of mistaken identity.

Two journalists were also killed in accidents while on assignment: Prem Thakur, a reporter for Asia News International, was killed in an avalanche while filming a snow clearing operation near the Himalayas. Photographer Manjunath Gowda was killed by an elephant after he went to close to take a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom