What's new

India says Pakistan's Air Force modernisation worrisome

Mr Murad Sir, I am honoured but still compared to you and many on pakdef just person to do my best to contribute. People like Murad are unique. Believe me.

About India being used to counter Chine. Well, that is the political aspect that is even clear now so we do not have to wait for the future. The fact is that China is the last big counterparty for the US. They have pretty much broken Russia, though I have to admit that thanks to oil revenues that one starts to fight back (we know which country the invaded lately which was trying to get under NATO wings). Anyway, China has been the next to counter power. The usual way is to use a neighbouring country and India suits just fine. Why else do we see USA trying to offer everything? Whe else are Indians in Red Flag? Why else is India offered Nuke tech? Why else is Tibet a big thing? All directed against China... So if India and China need time and cash to fight eachother the third will get the oil and other resources... Simple.

About Saab2000... Saab Argus needed to relay data to groundstation where it was transformed into info and send to others. Saab2000 has these systems incorporated (bigger computers in the plane) and has two teams of each 5-6 operators which also have conference room. If that was just to drink tea or to relay data towards ground then I bet the price would be lower and the plane a lot smaller. The open info is available on the net. Just do your research on that and then we can go into the more secret info. I do not want to share operational usage but most of it is logical. Just like CAP patterns to protect Awacs.

Latest news about IAF. Neo and I sat in all glass cockpit of DRUV. That was more then a year ago. The glass was from Israel. Yet at the moment we heard that the first glass cockpit is not operational yet. So DRUV is still flying analog cockpit!

About the Indian heli tender... The are repeating the whole order cycle and there were big words about TOT and more. The real thing is that the only transfer will be maintenance procedures. Sofar the TOT even when we talk about mega order.

Last from Pak. First F16 bock 52 is being assembled. They in the same week that Mush left office. First four PAF f16's are being MLU'ed. Two were from PAF and two came from those that were boycotted in the past. The last two are both F16B-block15 but the PAF planes are F16A and F16B. After testflight the rest will be done in Turkey.

One thing for Murad... Is it correct that they altered the intake of JF17 again? As far as I can judge they altered the design. DSI is more pointier and the lower side went a bit forward. I had only a few minutes checking time but I am curious whether it is correct.

Expected first squadron will replace A5III during end of 2008. So if we know it replaces A5 then we can conclude that it has decent a2g.

just to clear this up mr research.....

The ERIEYE AEW&C is the world’s only operational airborne Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar in service today. The Saab 2000 ERIEYE AEW&C utilises the latest generation ERIEYE radar, now capable of detecting small air targets, hovering helicopters, cruise missiles and small sea targets such as inflatable rubber boats, for a more complete surveillance picture.
Features:
• ERIEYE latest generation radar and systems
• Enhanced maritime modes
• ERIEYE Mission System
• Electronic Support Measures (ESM)
• Self Protection System (SPS)
• SATCOM and data link solutions
• Automatic Identification System (AIS)
• Platform commonality with other members of the Saab airborne surveillance family

Applications:
• AEW&C
• National security missions
• Border control
• Airborne C2 platform
• Disaster management co-ordination
• Major event security
• Emergency Air Traffic Control (ATC)

Radar System performance:
• Active Phased Array Pulse Doppler multi-mode radar
• 450 km range and above 20 km (65,000 ft) altitude coverage
• Effective surveillance area of 500,000 sq km
• Capable of combined air and sea surveillance
• Automatic tracking of priority air targets
• Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system

Thats from the SAAB website.

Now the C2 part would be relevant to this discussion!

have a nice day!:cheesy:

In fact the Erieye FSR-890 radar is pushed towards higher standards if compared with the Argus version. The computers that generate info from the data are improved (faster and bigger) so it can see further, faster and smaller targets. To be honest. Saab2000 radar can look further then Phalcon radar. Even knowing the fact that it is smaller!

Here is a another leaflet (which was posted by another member a while back which shows the interior of the Erieye)
Of note is the functions on the operator consoles. Seem to quite a lot considering all they do is pass information to the ground!:cheesy:

Attachments

• saab2000ig9.jpg
    saab2000ig9.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 27
Powered by two Allison/Rolls-Royce AE2100 engines, the SAAB 2000 can remain airborne for nine hours at 30,000ft, a significant improvement on the GE-CT7-98 powered SAAB 340 Argus. Although the SAAB 2000 also went out of production in 1999, SAAB has sufficient aircraft in its inventory to complete this order. Sweden is also considering replacing the SAAB 340 Argus with the SAAB 2000 Erieye system, as the larger internal volume of this airframe allows for the installation of additional control consoles and communications equipment – allowing the aircraft to be employed as a much more effective airborne command & control post.

India & Pakistan AEW Options

I rest my case.

No suprises here. Pakistan is used to Indian whinging. They know what Pakistan is capable of and despite their forthcoming MRCA order, upgraded migs, upgraded mirage 2000's, more MKI's and Isareli UAV's, they just DONT SEEM TO FEEL SAFE ENOUGH.

their policy is very simple - they want insurmountable odds in their favour.

Jaison : I hope you are very good friends with Sir Munir, If not you being a new member should realize that the above wordings are not appropriate to use.
I QUOTE ( do some research before u name them ). Specially to someone who is in a think tank plus he being a pilot knows more about AWACS. Please respect the senior members and I promise in return you will be respected as well.
Friend it is just a request, no hard feelings.
Thank you.

i apologise,i shouldnt have used that phrase,but wat i said abt erieye is correct ,it is the first operational aesa early warning platform it does hav high computing power but it is still an AEW&C and no one can deny that bcoz of that in deep strike missions it will be at a disadvantage due to absence of ground stations but this problem does not exist for phalcon or e-3 and the chinese one on il-76(but it is not aesa and sino defence also admits that it is not as good as phalcon) palcon is also aesa but it is not fully operational because it has not been produced in large number.......my comment on phalcon is not bcoz of nationalism everyone knows that the phalcohn is the most advanced awacs .and the phalcon has more man power than erieye please do check abt the difference bet awacs and AEW&C but even ill try to post abt that .......and the indian project is also an AEW&C.this is not to offend anyone but i am surprised that a pilot does not know this basic thing...

Last edited:
The Erieye radar system, is an Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) developed by Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson) of Sweden. It is based on the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA). The Erieye is used on a variety of aircraft platforms, such as the Brazilian Embraer R-99 or EMB-145. It has recently been implemented on the Saab 2000 aircraft.

The Erieye Ground Interface Segment (EGIS; not to be confused with the Aegis combat system) is a major component of the software used by the Erieye system.

The radar provides 360 degree coverage and has an instrumental range of 450km and detection range of 350 km in a dense hostile electronic warfare environment — in heavy radar clutter and at low target altitudes. In addition to this, the radar is also capable of identifying friends or foes, and has a sea surveillance mode.

The Erieye system has full interoperability with NATO air defence command and control systems.

Sweden has loaned two of these systems to Greece, while they are still owned by the Swedish Air Force. SAAB signed an 8 billion krona provisional contract to supply 6 of these systems to Pakistan, which was finalized in June 2006. Pakistan Air force had rejected the longer-ranged E-2C Hawkeye offer as it uses PESA radar, whereas ERIEYE is comparatively shorter ranged, but has the more advanced AESA radar (Pakistan Navy has however separated its paths from the air force & have opted for E2C Hawkeye to be mounted on its P3C Orion aircraft).

Recently, Royal Thai Air Force signed the contact to order a Erieye system equipped on Saab 340 and has the option to order another system. This order is a part of Gripen order.

phalcon,e-3,chinese awacs are called airborne early warning ,command and control aircraft while erieye,e-2c/d,Boeing 737 AEW&C(with turkey) are called airborne early warning and control..

The Ericsson Erieye system uses an active phased array radar mounted in a two sided array geometry. The whole array is contained in a large beam shaped structure carried above the fuselage of a commuter twin airframe. The limitation of the two sided array is that it can only cover two 120 degree sectors abeam of the aircraft, leaving 60 degree blind sectors over the nose and tail of the aircraft, and reduced antenna performance from 45 degrees off the beam aspect. Another limitation stems from the use of an 'airframe too small to accommodate a comprehensive self contained command, control and communications system', and other sensors such as a capable ESM and track association system.
Pic.3 (Phalcon - not enclosed)

The Israeli Phalcon is the first full scale application of phased array technology, using arrays along the fuselage and under the nose and tail. While providing full 360 degree coverage, the smaller size of the nose and tail arrays will limit angular resolution in the nose and tail sectors, thus degrading system performance in these areas. While cheaper than external pylon mounted radomes in terms of structural modifications, conformal arrays require suitable airframe geometry if they are to be used to full advantage.

This AMSS Lockheed proposal for an E-2C replacement depicts a three sided array geometry. Three sided and four sided arrays offer 360 degree coverage without significant degradation in angular resolution against azimuth, but incur the cost, weight and drag penalties of the radome structures. At the time of writing no design using this geometry has been flown.

AEW&C - Phased Array Technology Parts 1 & 2

i hope this will be enough.i may be younger but aviation has been my passion since i was 7 when i used to play with only airplane toys and now i hav a very comprehensive knowledge
so please dont doubt wat i post and am sorry munir i just got a bit excited when i saw u make a mistake,please forgive me if i had offended u and i apologise to all in this thread:angel:

Last edited:
i hope this will be enough.i may be younger but aviation has been my passion since i was 7 when i used to play with only airplane toys and now i hav a very comprehensive knowledge
so please dont doubt wat i post and am sorry munir i just got a bit excited when i saw u make a mistake,please forgive me if i had offended u and i apologise to all in this thread:angel:

Just apologise to MuradK. You might not agree with him, but you should talk in a respectful manner. He does not always have to be right, but he deserves the respect and courtesy from everyone here.

It is an AEW&C AND a C2 platform. It is NOT an AWACS.

A spade is a spade no matter how much you'd like to believe otherwise Key.

It is same as multirole, omnirole etc discussion. You can call it A or B but the usage is the same. Do a google search on AWACS and AEW&C and you will see them used at the same time. In the past the range woul make the difference just like the fact the number of operators.

Some internet text:
>>>The Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) is an aircraft system designed to carry out surveillance, and C2BM (command and control, battle management) functions.

>>>Modern AWAC systems can detect aircraft from up to 400 km (250 miles) away, well out of range of most surface-to-air missiles except the Russian SA-5 and S-400. In air-to-air combat, AWAC systems can communicate with friendly aircraft, extend their sensor range and give them added stealth, since they no longer need their own active radar to detect threats. However, by the nature of radar, AWACS aircraft can be detected by opposing forces beyond its own detection range. This is because the outgoing pulse reduces in strength the further it travels. Therefore, a signal which is intended to go out and be reflected back must be strong enough to cover twice the distance between the sender and the target.
----
Since Saab2000 can scan up t0 450 km, can work in heavey clutter/dense environment, can track in multiple modes, communicates with others (link16 etc) and has 5 controllers/operators on board (2 shifts + conferencing room) we can conclude that it does some battle management... Do if compared with the old bulky rotating radar on the E2C the Saab2000 offers a bit more. The only part where it can use some help is the number of tracks. Yet that seems to be overrated cause if you kow how many Saab2000 can handle then you would skip that variable. If you do not beleive me... Here Erieye text:

Ericson:
>>>The Ericsson Microwave (now Saab Microwave Systems) ERIEYE is a long range airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system based on an active phased array pulse-Doppler radar. The ERIEYE can be installed on a wide variety of both commercial and military aircraft jet or turboprop. It detects and tracks airborne targets at ranges of up to 300/450 km over land or water and from low altitude up to 82,000-ft. It comprises integrated IFF, ESM, communications, C2 workstations, self-protection system and data-links to provide AEW&C capability.

Or if you not believe non indians:
>>>A Complete News Magazine on National Security
The Saab 2000 is one of the fastest regional turboprop aircraft in existence, being able to cruise at a speed of more than 665kph (360 Knots). It made its maiden flight on March 26, 1992 and entered commercial airline service in 1994, a few months after its certification by the Joint Aviation Authorities in March and the Federal Aviation Administration in April. The Saab 2000’s powerplant comprises twin Rolls-Royce AE-2100 turboprop engines, each driving six-bladed Dowty Rotol propellers. The aircraft’s service ceiling is 31,000 feet, and the cockpit is equipped with a Rockwell Collins Pro Line 4 avionics suite with integrated avionics processor, engine indication and crew alerting system, traffic alert and collision avoidance system, attitude heading and reference system, and a digital air data system. Cabin noise is reduced by an active noise control system comprising 72 microphones and 36 speakers, which generate anti-phase noise. Each of the PAF’s four Saab 2000 AEW & C platforms will be equipped with the FSR-890 Erieye radar built by Ericsson Microwave Systems. The S-band Erieye is a pulse-Doppler active phased-array radar operating within the 2GHz to 4GHz bandwidth. The 8 metre-long, 900kg antenna will be mounted on the upper dorsal spine of the Saab 2000’s fuselage. The Erieye will provide 270-degree airspace surveillance coverage and have an instrumental range of 450km and detection range of 350km in a dense hostile electronic warfare environment. The radar’s optimum performance (with very low sidelobes) will be over the 120° azimuthal sectors on each side of the aircraft. In addition, the Erieye will also have a secondary sea surveillance mode. For the PAF, the Erieye will be configured for detection, tracking and height-finding of airborne contacts, automatic track initiation and continuous tracking of up to 300 airborne targets, moving ground target detection and area ground mapping. Inside the AEW & C platform will be five multifunction display/processor consoles that will make up the Central Tactical System (CTS) for providing tactical data management solutions via tactical aids, cues, alerts and bookkeeping functions. The platform will also have a communications suite comprising dual HF and five sets of V/UHF radios for enabling the exchange of tactical data with friendly land, sea and air forces as well as communicating with civilian ATC networks. A Link 16 data link will provide automatic clear or secure communications channels via one of the HF radios and one dedicated UHF transceiver. The data link will be used for relaying information such as tracking cues, contact range, bearing, velocity, altitude and intercept vectors to friendly airborne combat aircraft, while the PAF’s ground-based Sector Operations Centres (SOC) will be networked with the AEW & C platform via the Erieye Ground Interface Segment (EGIS) that will provide two-way exchange of data between the airborne AEW & C platform and ground-based SOCs. For self-protection, the Saab 2000 AEW & C will have on board the Saab-built CIDAS-300 fully integrated defensive aids suite that will include multi-spectral optronic sensors and a HES-21 ESM suite, designed for the protection of aircraft against infra-red/laser-guided MANPADS). CIDAS-300 will in turn be fully integrated with Saab’s wingtip-mounted BOP-L lightweight chaff/flare countermeasures dispensing system. Designed from the outset as a fully integrated modular system, CIDAS-300 combines radar/laser/infra-red/ultra-violet missile approach warning and countermeasures dispensing functions in a single systems controller. Another component of CIDAS-300 will be the HES-21 ESM suite that combines the radar warning receiver and BOP-L dispenser with interferometer antenna arrays, a missile approach warning system, laser warning system, countermeasure dispensers, defensive aids controller, and a display-cum-control unit.

All I can say is that your discussion about AWACS being that and AEW&C beging this is a bit outdated.

The article implies 300km's range over land, 450 over sea.
Even if it is 400km's over land, it still is a AEW&C. The primary difference as i said is not in detection and tracking ranges, but in processing capability. Do you know the number of operator consoles in the Il-76 based Phalcon? Or the A-50EHI as they call it? And the number of consoles in the SAAB 2000 based Erieye?

The Erieye is critically dependent on the ground station for processing of the data that the plane accumulates, which i might add is tremendous, and the ground station relays back the processed data to the plane which the Erieye system fuses together to provide a comprehensive picture of the situation. That is the limitation of the Erieye. It is mentioned in your article as well, that the Erieye system also comprises a ground station which has a 2 way link with the plane.

AWACS are not meant to be limited by ground stations, the processing is done in the plane itself and that is why all the major Airforces in the world have AWACS on big planes. Once the Phalcon lifts off the ground, it is a node in itself, it is not dependent on any other system or equipment. The detection ranges of such planes ALSO(note: ALSO, not ALWAYS) outrange that of the AEW&C.

For example, incase some members here dont know, the Phalcon radar is an AESA radar, and not PESA as many have opined. And considering the size of the plane and the thrust of the plane in question- ie the new Il-76(with some structural changes as well as a new higher thrust engine) the detection ranges of the Phalcon system would be correspondingly higher.

Added to the fact that the Phalcon is considered one of the best AWACS along with the E-3/Wedgetail.

To use a rudimentary analogy, a laptop of today might be very powerful and much better compared to the desktops of yesterday, but the desktops of today have also evolved and in the end have much higher performance than the laptops.

If you would have been engineer (I am btw) you would have atleast give numbers to prove anything. As far as I can see it is all hapsnap writing. Let us forget all the typing and zoom into a critical note of yours...

Erieye relays data that needs to be processed with ground stations and need to be send back to Erieye...
That was the case with Swedish Argus. It was already altered in the Greek Argus (you might read their performance. That was the reason why the delivery got delayed... The main problem was to house added controlstations and processing power. That is the reason why they went from Saab340 to Saab2000... More room to be filled with processing power. Surely they can communicate with ground stations. In fact he Erieye ground stations can do a lot more then on board the Sentry.... Imagine how Saab Gripen cockpit was designed when the others will flying still with analog displays... Now if you can show me that there is somewhere on the net (credible source) that shows that Saab2000 relays data cause it can not process onboard then we have atleast some text to talk about. Otherwise you are just a person that writes to fill bandwith. I tel you that there is more then enough onboard power, computing power and controllers to handle same as what your Phalcon ever will. The fact is that the Ericson interface will be a lot better then anything you can buy. Even if it is from Elta/Elbit or other Israeli firms..

And btw, if Phalcon was that good why is India buying a platform to build something exactly like Erieye? Is it cause they can not produce anything like Phalcon or is it because it is as good as?

Your fact that Phalcon is as best as Wedgetail (not rotating radar) or E2c is ungrounded. It is all about size and nothing more. Or do you have some evidence?

David A. Fulghum
1,267 words
12 July 2004
Aviation Week & Space Technology
Volume 161, Number 2
English
Here on the ramp at the Embraer plant sits a lineup of airborne surveillance aircraft newly built for the Greek air force and due for delivery in time for this summer's Olympic Games. Another was just delivered to the air force of Mexico for maritime patrol.

They are the latest version of Embraer's twin-jet EMB-145 regional airliner, and part of a series that is offering the world's air forces an inexpensive alternative, perhaps 20-30% of the $5,000 per hr. operating cost of conventional four-engine jet and turboprop surveillance aircraft.

The Brazilian air force is already operating two variants of the aircraft that were designed for the dual purpose of protecting the Amazon (as part of the System for the Vigilance of the Amazon program--Sivam) and aiding law enforcement efforts against illegal mining, timbering and smuggling.

The two complementary intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) systems--rolled out as the R-99A aerial surveillance and R-99B remote sensing aircraft--were born with the Sivam program and delivered to the air force in 2002 and 2003, says Fausto F. Ferreira, ISR systems business manager for Embraer.

In just two years, Embraer, the Brazilian air force and Raytheon developed the designs for both aircraft and conducted first flight in 1999. Only three years later, the first aircraft of each model was delivered to the new squadron of specialists formed to operate them.

Several complex changes were made to the basic aircraft to transform it into a special missions platform including beefing up the aircraft structure, electrical system, avionics and engines. However, a selling point was the primary airline requirement to fly more than 8 hr. a day with minimum turnaround time. The operational profile for Amazon patrol is at least 6-hr. endurance at a range of 160 naut. mi., Ferreira says.

Both the R-99A and R-99B are designed to spend 6 hr. on station at 150 naut. mi. from their bases assuming hot day operations and a full mission crew, Ferreira says. However, the latter aircraft has a significantly different mission profile due to the need to fly some portions of its mission at low altitudes for the best use of its electro-optical sensors.

Upgrades to the aircraft continue to allow more operations to be conducted on board (possibly leading to increasing the number of sensor stations from three to six) and for the aircraft to carry heavier mission payloads. The Rolls-Royce AE 3007 A1P now provides 20% more thrust than the original ERJ 145 engine plus a reverse system. The aircraft were designed to operate on runways in the Amazon region at Brazilian standard environmental conditions (ISA+20 kt. for takeoff) at maximum takeoff weight. With the new engine, the EMB-145 special mission platform design weights have been increased about 10% compared with the original Sivam configuration.

The Sivam fleet of eight aircraft (five R-99As and three R-99Bs) had completed more than 4,000 operational flight hours through the end of 2003. Even in the hostile environment of the Amazon, the fleet has maintained a 96% mission readiness rate while usually carrying only the mission crew of six and a small spare parts kit.

No special ground equipment is required so it can deploy quickly and operate from very austere bases, says Maj. "Shadow." Usually, the crews take only a towing device and water. A fast-reaction spares system has been developed that normally will deliver replacement parts to anywhere in the country within 6 hr., he says.

The R-99A (EMB-145 SA/airborne surveillance) early warning and command and control (AEW&C) aircraft is recognizable by its Swedish-built, Ericsson Erieye early warning radar in a ventral fin atop the fuselage. It has an instrumented range of more than 460 km. (286 mi.), a detection range of a typical fighter in excess of 450 km. and both air-to-air and air-to-sea modes. Air force officials say that from an altitude of 25,000 ft. the tactical observation area begins about 30 naut. mi. from the aircraft and forms a rectangle 140 naut. mi. deep and 240-270 naut. mi. wide.

The radar array is made up of 192 transmitter/receiver modules so that several can fail with no significant degradation in acuity. It can produce four different waveforms that are applied depending on operational mode, vegetation, geography and target dynamics. It can pick out small targets (as low as -20dBsm) regardless of the type of clutter and offer high revisit rates for selected targets. The radar also produces a narrow beam that is effective against jamming, Ferreira says. Much of the system's heat is dissipated by the exterior antenna which uses ram air for cooling.

The $1.39-billion radar program was financed by the U.S. Export-Import Bank (the second largest loan in the bank's history), Sweden, Raytheon and a number of subcontractors.

Both aircraft have the same signals intelligence package as the Communications/Non-Communications Exploitation System. That's the equivalent of communications (comint) and electronic (elint) intelligence gathering systems. The system collects data that can be analyzed by the mission crew or linked to ground processors at Anapolis AFB or to the Regional Surveillance centers in Manaus, Porto Velho and Belem.

The communications intercept capability operates in a frequency range from HF to UHF, an advanced direction finding capability, digital audio recording and a panoramic display for the system's operator.

An elint capability can observe emissions from UHF to K band and offer direction finding as well as a panoramic display for the operator.

The second design is the R-99B (EMB-145 RS/remote sensing) electronic surveillance and signals intelligence gathering aircraft which has ground surveillance radar and other sensors placed the length of its substantially bottom fuselage.

The dual-band synthetic aperture radar (SAR) offers both L-band (full polarimetric that allows some foliage penetration) and X-band (interferometric that provides 3-D maps) surveillance in several different operational modes including strip, spot with various resolutions, wide-area surveillance, moving target indicator and air-to-air. The strip mode has resolution of 3, 6 and 18 meters (10, 20 and 59 ft.) and swath widths ranging from 20-120 km. The SAR's slant-range is listed by Embraer at more than 65 naut. mi. which allows the aircraft to perform its missions in a standoff orbit. The air force says the system can record five channels simultaneously (Quad L+X) of the same scene for critical image analysis.

The SAR has a moving target indicator to pick out objects in motion on the ground or on the rivers. The aircraft's normal operating height is 33,000 ft., but it is qualified for altitudes up to 37,000 ft., Ferreira says.

The 31-channel, multi-spectrum scanner has 28 channels operating in the visible (including real-time color imagery) and near infrared, two in short-wave infrared and one in thermal infrared. Depending on the operational mode and how close the aircraft is to the target, resolution can range from centimeters to several meters.

The optical infrared system uses three cameras: infrared, color TV zoom and a high-resolution color TV spotter scope. The infrared zoom is 21 power, while the optical zoom offers 18 power

Some technical data based upon the Brazilian model.

The Erieye radar system, is an Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) developed by Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson) of Sweden. It is based on the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA). The Erieye is used on a variety of aircraft platforms, such as the Brazilian Embraer R-99 or EMB-145. It has recently been implemented on the Saab 2000 aircraft.

The Erieye Ground Interface Segment (EGIS; not to be confused with the Aegis combat system) is a major component of the software used by the Erieye system.

The radar provides 360 degree coverage and has an instrumental range of 450km and detection range of 350 km in a dense hostile electronic warfare environment — in heavy radar clutter and at low target altitudes. In addition to this, the radar is also capable of identifying friends or foes, and has a sea surveillance mode.

The Erieye system has full interoperability with NATO air defence command and control systems.

Sweden has loaned two of these systems to Greece, while they are still owned by the Swedish Air Force. SAAB signed an 8 billion krona provisional contract to supply 6 of these systems to Pakistan, which was finalized in June 2006. Pakistan Air force had rejected the longer-ranged E-2C Hawkeye offer as it uses PESA radar, whereas ERIEYE is comparatively shorter ranged, but has the more advanced AESA radar (Pakistan Navy has however separated its paths from the air force & have opted for E2C Hawkeye to be mounted on its P3C Orion aircraft).

Recently, Royal Thai Air Force signed the contact to order a Erieye system equipped on Saab 340 and has the option to order another system. This order is a part of Gripen order.

phalcon,e-3,chinese awacs are called airborne early warning ,command and control aircraft while erieye,e-2c/d,Boeing 737 AEW&C(with turkey) are called airborne early warning and control..

The Ericsson Erieye system uses an active phased array radar mounted in a two sided array geometry. The whole array is contained in a large beam shaped structure carried above the fuselage of a commuter twin airframe. The limitation of the two sided array is that it can only cover two 120 degree sectors abeam of the aircraft, leaving 60 degree blind sectors over the nose and tail of the aircraft, and reduced antenna performance from 45 degrees off the beam aspect. Another limitation stems from the use of an 'airframe too small to accommodate a comprehensive self contained command, control and communications system', and other sensors such as a capable ESM and track association system.
Pic.3 (Phalcon - not enclosed)

The Israeli Phalcon is the first full scale application of phased array technology, using arrays along the fuselage and under the nose and tail. While providing full 360 degree coverage, the smaller size of the nose and tail arrays will limit angular resolution in the nose and tail sectors, thus degrading system performance in these areas. While cheaper than external pylon mounted radomes in terms of structural modifications, conformal arrays require suitable airframe geometry if they are to be used to full advantage.

This AMSS Lockheed proposal for an E-2C replacement depicts a three sided array geometry. Three sided and four sided arrays offer 360 degree coverage without significant degradation in angular resolution against azimuth, but incur the cost, weight and drag penalties of the radome structures. At the time of writing no design using this geometry has been flown.

AEW&C - Phased Array Technology Parts 1 & 2

Ok first things first......the stuff you have posted does not match the link provided. And seems to be a hodge pdoge of different articles. Secondly...the aussie airpower link has one important facet missing......the saab 2000 airframe. the picture is a argus airframe. It is also dated...by almost 4 years so the data used by the author would have been older.

SO first things first post the links to all your articles and don't mix em up yourself. :cheers:For example mixing wikipedia and a few other articles does not make your post convincing.

Looks like you should go back to the toys dude......;)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom