What's new

India’s Mars exploration mission by Oct

Agent_47

Reaction score
Country
India
India’s tryst with Mars will begin in October to explore the red planet’s atmosphere and search for life-sustaining elements, a top space official said on Friday.

“We are trying very hard and by mid-October we are expecting to launch the Mars mission,” said J.N. Goswami, in-charge of the exploration mission.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Indian Science Congress in Kolkata, Mr. Goswami said the mission is yet to get an official name.

The Rs.470-crore mission will demonstrate India’s capability to launch a spacecraft on a 55 million km journey from earth and look for life-sustaining elements from 500 km over the Martian surface.

“The mission has a very specific science objective as we want to study the atmosphere of Mars. This mission will explore things which have not been done previously by other countries,” said Mr. Goswami, director of Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.

The Indian space agency plans to use a high-end rocket (PSLV-XL) to launch the 1.4-tonne Martian spacecraft from its Sriharikota spaceport, about 80 km northeast of Chennai, with five instruments to study various aspects of the red planet.

The Mars mission will allow India to join the elite club of five top nations comprising the US, Russia, Europe, China and Japan which have launched similar missions.

As the fourth planet from the Sun and smallest celestial object in the solar system, Mars is terrestrial with breath-taking valleys, deserts, craters and volcanoes in a thin atmosphere.

Named after the Roman god of war, the red planet has many similarities with Earth like the rotation period and seasonal cycles.
The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : India

Best luck to ISRO :cheers:

BTW OP, you should have posted it in central and south Asia section of world affairs. good news nevertheless.

All the best.

Hope we work with NASA so that we don't repeat same things to get the info what NASA has released and provided.

I would like to know the new technologies being developed for this mission. Anyone with expertise in it ?

00 km over the Martian surface.

“The mission has a very specific science objective as we want to study the atmosphere of Mars. This mission will explore things which have not been done previously by other countries,” said Mr. Goswami, director of Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.

This is what i love about ISRO . INstead of Reinventing the wheel they try to do something new and add value to overall knowledge of the world . In Moon Mission DRDO also allowed other nations payload and the result was much more compressive study of Moon .

and heck yeah we found water there .

Last edited by a moderator:
@arp2041 I know this info way before. I meant what are the proposed equipments and technology developed for this.

Like for MARS landing, Caltech Jet Propulsion lab took a crazy idea and implemented Sky Hook for landing Curiosity.

@OrionHunter You have quite a knowledge of Physics, do you know about this mission ?

@arp2041 I know this info way before. I meant what are the proposed equipments and technology developed for this.

Like for MARS landing, Caltech Jet Propulsion lab took a crazy idea and implemented Sky Hook for landing Curiosity.

@OrionHunter You have quite a knowledge of Physics, do you know about this mission ?

Sorry mate, ISRO hasn't disclosed the payload & specifications of the orbiter yet, we even don't have a final pic of how it will look like. Shocking, considering we knew all about Chandrayaan way before it was launched.

Sorry mate, ISRO hasn't disclosed the payload & specifications of the orbiter yet, we even don't have a final pic of how it will look like. Shocking, considering we knew all about Chandrayaan way before it was launched.
We took NASA's Mineral Mapper on Chandrayaan, which confirmed water on moon. Which countries are working with ISRO on this project.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom