What's new

India, Pak sign N-risk reduction treaty

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Pak_sign_N-risk_reduction_treaty/articleshow/1649961.cms

India, Pak sign N-risk reduction treaty
[ 21 Feb, 2007 1356hrs ISTPTI ]

NEW DELHI: In a major confidence-building measure, India and Pakistan on Wednesday signed an agreement to reduce the risk from accidental use of nuclear weapons.

The agreement on reducing the risk from accidents relating to nuclear weapons was signed by K C Singh, Additional Secretary in External Affairs Ministry and his Pakistani counterpart Tariq Osman Hyder.

The agreement was signed after a Joint Commission meeting co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his Pakistani counterpart Khurshid M Kasuri.

An understanding on signing the pact was reached during the foreign secretary-level talks here on November 14 and it was endorsed at a meeting between the foreign ministers in Islamabad on January 13.

NEW DELHI, Feb 21 (AFP) India and Pakistan signed Wednesday a deal to reduce the risk of a nuclear arms accident. The New Delhi signing ceremony took place in public after Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his Pakistani counterpart, Khurshid Kasuri, held an hour and 45 minutes of talks. “The holding of the joint commission meeting as scheduled is a reaffirmation of the commitment of both India and Pakistan to the dialogue process,” Mukherjee told reporters.“You have also witnessed the signing this morning of the agreement between India and Pakistan on reducing the risk of accidents relating to nuclear weapons.” (First Posted @ 12:10 PST Updated @ 15:30 PST)
http://dawn.com/2007/02/21/welcome.htm

Mods note: We've merged these threads and moved to Strategic & Geopolitical Issues.

Neo

salam
hmm no use just paper of crap these 2 nations can never have peace . i read some hwere its a prepration of a big war BULL mate my english is not so good so dont mind out of touch from studies from long time take care

Yeh Pak Watan hai Ghar Apna, Hum is ko Sawarien gaye, Mushkilon mein La-ilaha pukaraien gaye.

salam
hmm no use just paper of crap these 2 nations can never have peace . i read some hwere its a prepration of a big war

yeh the paper can be peace of crap even if other countries had signed such pact. might is right :)

and big war hmmmmmmm well i dont think so the two countries can afford a big war.

Yeh Pak Watan hai Ghar Apna, Hum is ko Sawarien gaye, Mushkilon mein La-ilaha pukaraien gaye.
:flag:

i failed to understand what is accidental use of nuclear weapons. ????

Jana,

Please read about Soviet - US hotline for accidental usage of Nuclear weapons, Any missile launch for test or for war will tigger a automatic response from Soviet Mission computer. SO they have to keep each other informed about missile developments

Jana,

Please read about Soviet - US hotline for accidental usage of Nuclear weapons, Any missile launch for test or for war will tigger a automatic response from Soviet Mission computer. SO they have to keep each other informed about missile developments

Oh thank you
but i think the two countries already have that machiinism in place. i mean they do inform each other in case of missile launch.

they do, but there are so many other variables that could go wrong, So they are trying to make it as foolproof as possible

I had to study the cold war period in my history lessons and man did the world come close to its end on numerous occasions.

For example once a mock attack tape was left in the US strategic control centre to stimulate a Soviet attack and they nearly launched a retaliatory attack. Fortunately the fault was discovered.

This is a positive step but only time will tell its effectiveness.

PS. Watch a Film called the Sum of All Fears starring Ben Affleck. Its really good and is based on a Tom clancy Novel. It shows just what would happen if the current Russian and American forces would do if they came close to a nuclear conflict.

PS. Watch a Film called the Sum of All Fears starring Ben Affleck. Its really good and is based on a Tom clancy Novel. It shows just what would happen if the current Russian and American forces would do if they came close to a nuclear conflict.

Yeah i have seen that one, it's not bad.....and some of the events shown were for real.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom