What's new

India, Pak banks may soon be able to go across border

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India, Pak banks may soon be able to go across border

New Delhi (PTI): Banks from India and Pakistan may soon be able to set up branches across the border as most of the issues have been addressed, a top official of Pakistan Government said onn Monday.

"Apparently those delays have been sorted out and the applications would have reached in the central bank of both the countries, and beyond that there should not be any problem," Pakistan Commerce Secretary Syed Asif Shah told reporters on the sidelines of third SAFTA Ministerial Council meeting here.

The progress is very good, he said. "In fact, I had a bilateral meeting with (India's) Commerce Secretary G K Pillai on Sunday... you know there are processes when you apply for opening a bank branch in other country," he added.

United Bank and National Bank of Pakistan have showed interest to set up their branches in India, Shah said.

Two banks from India, including SBI, would be allowed to start their operations in Pakistan, he added.

When asked about the regulatory approval, Shah said "very soon you will expect bank branches in India and Pakistan."

"There is no problem... negotiations are on advanced stage," he said.

Last year, replying to a question on this issue, Minister of State for Finance P K Bansal had said in Parliament that the development followed an agreement reached between the RBI and State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) to permit opening of two branches by banks from India and Pakistan on a reciprocal basis.

The Reserve Bank of India has proposed the names of State Bank of India and Bank of India for opening branches in Pakistan, he had said.

last time one of My friend who visit Pak ocassionally told me SBI have branches in Pak.... do india also have Pak. banks... is SBI branches still there?.. anyone any Idea.

No S_ _ t,
God save us from this trade.
Has GOI gone out of its mind.
I just hope something happens and this stupid deal goes under.

yeah even i didn't like this idea

Peace

last time one of My friend who visit Pak ocassionally told me SBI have branches in Pak.... do india also have Pak. banks... is SBI branches still there?.. anyone any Idea.

Your friend must have visted Pakistan before 1965. There are no Indian Banks in Pakistan and there are no Pakistani banks in India. However, Habib Bank of Pakistan, Muslim Commercial Bank and now defunt Bank of Bahawlapur hold license for Indian Market and Punjab National Bank and State Bank of India hold licenses for Pakistani market. Branches of these banks have been confiscated by the respected central Bank under the Enemy Property Act in both countries since 65

There are bank offices... Sort of a presence... But no branches.

Banks do a lot of buying and selling of their own...

I think this is better than FTA with India or China because it will ensure Indian money in our banks. Since India is a very big market hence we will have advantage. FTAs with such big economies like China will not help in developing the local industry.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom