What's new

India Muslims 'have lowest rank'

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
India Muslims 'have lowest rank'

Muslims in India are even more disadvantaged than low-caste Hindus, a report commissioned by the government in Delhi suggests.

The report says India's 138m Muslims are poorer and less educated and suffer from higher unemployment and greater mortality than other religious groups.

Details of the report - yet to be published - have been leaked to the local media.

Some ministers are already calling for affirmative action for Muslims.

The Hindu-nationalist BJP party has said it will oppose any system of quotas for Muslims.

Religious riots

BJP General Secretary Arun Jaitley said the Indian constitution does not allow for reservation on the basis of religion and the government should not use the report as a launch pad for religion-based reservation.

India currently implements reservations for disadvantaged castes, but not for religious groups.

Correspondents say India prides itself on being a pluralistic secular democracy. It is often pointed out that India is home to the world's biggest minority, and that there are more Muslims in India than in all of Pakistan, the BBC's Anu Anand in Delhi reports.

But our correspondent says it is unclear how far the government can go to improve Muslims' status in a country that has been torn apart by Hindu-Muslim riots, and has witnessed acts of terror widely blamed on Muslims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6159178.stm

You know my comments NEO. Muslims plight in India is quite clear. i have posted the justice Sachar commitee report findings on http://www.pakistaniforces.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2893
Muslims need a strong reservation policy for them so that a population of over 150 million can integrate in to Indian mainstream. Otherwise this underprivilged people would become a huge a problem for the country, in its progress. It is a fact. Bear it or grin it.
Kashif

BJP is regaining power and will never allow reservations for Muslims.
Future does not look good if they keep counting on the government, something else should be done.

Friends,

Muslims in India are backward and poor because of their own fault...

But now the times are changing and we are educating our children and integrating into the mainstream. But I feel it is not enough.

Muslims constitute the poorest of the poor in India...

Reservation is a wrong policy, Reservation has not helped uplift Dalits in India.
Its tool to deprive able people from competing. That will bring bad name to community as a whole.

You know my comments NEO. Muslims plight in India is quite clear. i have posted the justice Sachar commitee report findings on http://www.pakistaniforces.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2893
Muslims need a strong reservation policy for them so that a population of over 150 million can integrate in to Indian mainstream. Otherwise this underprivilged people would become a huge a problem for the country, in its progress. It is a fact. Bear it or grin it.
Kashif

What you are advocating is in principle "POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION"

This is nothing new. Back in good old days even Radhakrishnan was for it. In the early 2000s the arguement was that this would lead to a situation similar to that of Black Americans.

But fact is that the reservations will not affect this.

I can say this because I did my schooling in Delhi and my school had on average 10 muslims in each class, extra-ordinarily high average for any good Delhi school given we were not in Old Delhi.

Muslims have structural problems but above all lets take example of BARA HINDU RAO, one of the most muslim dominated area in Delhi.

Most of the residents there are in business, Tyres to be precise and utensils (Metals etc). Now the problem there is that most of my muslim students used 2 come to school because they had nothing2 do at home. Expectedly they were always at the bottom of the class when it came to scoring marks.

Ususally their mother's would not be educated and hence emphasis on performing good would lack in their families.

They usually tend to join the business.

Rather than reservations if these structural problems were addressed, Indian muslims as a whole would stand better chance of climbing the social ladder.

One only needs to look in the service sector, as to how many muslims are employed and you will get your answer;)

Future does not look good if they keep counting on the government, something else should be done.

i missed out on this thread,had a feeling that theology is not for me.

Neo,BJP is not regaining power in india on the other hand its losing its cadres every day.

And regarding the plight of muslims,nobody did anything delibratly to harm them.Quite a number of hindus & christians "upgradred" themselves with more or less no help from the govt.

India as it is a crowded place with a huge population and people fighting for each and every inch of resource and land available.Any community which grows numerically wont be able to sustain itself and Muslims in india have absolute disregard to family planning.

They just dont have the resources to bring up the kids they have.

BJP is going to the dogs. The leadership is confused and the party listless. The PM Mr. Manmohan Singh is more popular than ever before. The UPA government is likely to take the next election unless we have a disaster. The year 2007 has arguably been the best since independence(except our national cricket team are playing like a village team). 9.1% growth this financial year. No serious natural calamities. Public works finally showing improvement(albeit slowly). Trouble with terrorists but its not very significant. The situation in Kashmir has never been more peaceful in the last fifteen years with the fencing complete. Relations with unkil blossoming. Military ties with Israel and Russia pretty fine too. Inertia in defence procurements fading.

Things could be much better yes, but then they could be much worse too. Lets hope the run of good luck(and good governance) continues.

there are even talks of a snap elections in yr 2007.

Friends,

Muslims in India are backward and poor because of their own fault...

But now the times are changing and we are educating our children and integrating into the mainstream. But I feel it is not enough.

Muslims constitute the poorest of the poor in India...

At the same time, rajinder sachar report rejects the following myths about Muslims in India:

Muslims shun modern education and flock to madrasas (only four per cent do so);
They are averse to family planning (fertility rates are in decline); and
Demographically they will before long flood the rest of the population.

At the same time, rajinder sachar report rejects the following myths about Muslims in India:

Muslims shun modern education and flock to madrasas (only four per cent do so);
They are averse to family planning (fertility rates are in decline); and
Demographically they will before long flood the rest of the population.

The most interesting view was that Muslims in riot torn Gujarat faired better than the muslims in the state of bihar where they are appeased.

And also one more finding is that,Muslims leaving in the north are more backward than the ones in the south,which was mainly due to the non availabilty of rural schools in north and abondance of schools in states like Kerala.

Muslims where also seen to crowd in together in economically unviable areas,like nizammuddin far away from the subrubs where the money is generated.

Back
Top Bottom