What's new

India losing 70% voice and call centre business to Philippines

fast

Reaction score
Struggling to diversify the delivery footprint to take advantage of low-cost centres, India's BPO industry is currently losing 70 per cent of all incremental voice and call centre business to competitors like Philippines and countries in Eastern Europe, says a report.

"It is estimated that in the on-going decade India might lose $30 billion in terms of foreign exchange earnings to Philippines, which has become the top destination for Indian investors," Assocham secretary general D S Rawat said.

Thus there is a need to reduce costs and make operations leaner across the BPO industry," he added.

BPO companies could reduce the total operating costs by 20-30 per cent by moving to a low-cost city within India, with a cost differential of around 10-15 per cent for non-voice processes and upwards of 20 per cent for voice processes, the report pointed out.

Several Indian firms have set up substantial operations in Philippines which has a large pool of well-educated, English-speaking, talented and employable graduates. Almost 30 per cent graduates in Philippines are employable unlike 10 per cent in India where the training consumes considerable amount of time, according to the report.

"Cultural proximity to the US together with availability of talented manpower are key reasons as to why BPO companies prefer expanding their operations in Philippines," Mr Rawat said.

Expansion of non-English BPOs in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities, to provide low cost services to the telecom and aviation sectors, are set to play a significant role in growth of domestic outsourcing industry, the report found.

India losing 70% voice and call centre business to Philippines: report - NDTVProfit.com

to be honest, ph has much less accent. There are several times that I know it is not from U.S. call centers when I ask for customer service. However, I know for sure it is not from india call center as well since the accent is so less.

Struggling to diversify the delivery footprint to take advantage of low-cost centres, India's BPO industry is currently losing 70 per cent of all incremental voice and call centre business to competitors like Philippines and countries in Eastern Europe, says a report.

"It is estimated that in the on-going decade India might lose $30 billion in terms of foreign exchange earnings to Philippines, which has become the top destination for Indian investors," Assocham secretary general D S Rawat said.

Thus there is a need to reduce costs and make operations leaner across the BPO industry," he added.

BPO companies could reduce the total operating costs by 20-30 per cent by moving to a low-cost city within India, with a cost differential of around 10-15 per cent for non-voice processes and upwards of 20 per cent for voice processes, the report pointed out.

Several Indian firms have set up substantial operations in Philippines which has a large pool of well-educated, English-speaking, talented and employable graduates. Almost 30 per cent graduates in Philippines are employable unlike 10 per cent in India where the training consumes considerable amount of time, according to the report.

"Cultural proximity to the US together with availability of talented manpower are key reasons as to why BPO companies prefer expanding their operations in Philippines," Mr Rawat said.

Expansion of non-English BPOs in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities, to provide low cost services to the telecom and aviation sectors, are set to play a significant role in growth of domestic outsourcing industry, the report found.

India losing 70% voice and call centre business to Philippines: report - NDTVProfit.com

Good.

Now at least my countrymen will focus on developing manufacturing and start using this as an excuse to develop the country rather than living on borrowed luxuries.

Call centers were a very volatile business definitely earned an India lot of money. Now it is time to develop our own business.

The United States, on the other hand keep on changing its business partners that are also part of their business strategy. This way they always explore new cheap markets.

Call centers were a very volatile business definitely earned an India lot of money. Now it is time to develop our own business.

The United States, on the other hand keep on changing its business partners that are also part of their business strategy. This way they always explore new cheap markets.

Truly said. North American businesses want someone who can emulate them and talk in their ways. Our people have tried but we cannot. Even though we in the northeast have a better grasp of the English language and its accent than most other Indians, overall we still cannot and DO NOT want to emulate what Philippines has become.

This comes as a blessing in disguise considering that there is a transition in government here and now we can look into developing and trebling manufacturing capabilities.

to be honest, ph has much less accent. There are several times that I know it is not from U.S. call centers when I ask for customer service. However, I know for sure it is not from india call center as well since the accent is so less.
Do they?

I don't know man. I have a harder time understanding Filipino new comers than Indian immigrants.

:lol:Good now i get to hangup on Philippines. I missed telling Indians "get a real job" over the phone.

Do they?

I don't know man. I have a harder time understanding Filipino new comers than Indian immigrants.

Filipinos have a much better accent than Indians.

:lol:Good now i get to hangup on Philippines. I missed telling Indians "get a real job" over the phone.

IKR they should be working in sweatshops for walmart and Nike, not call centres.

........an immigrant who found job in a foreign nation..advising others to get a job. How ironic

Truly said. North American businesses want someone who can emulate them and talk in their ways. Our people have tried but we cannot. Even though we in the northeast have a better grasp of the English language and its accent than most other Indians, overall we still cannot and DO NOT want to emulate what Philippines has become.

This comes as a blessing in disguise considering that there is a transition in government here and now we can look into developing and trebling manufacturing capabilities.

We do not need to copy any accent. We only need to develop our own industry.

Back
Top Bottom