What's new

India joins Ballistic Missile Defence Club

The supersonic cruise missile BrahMos missed the target at the Army’s range at Pokhran in Rajasthan because its global positioning system (GPS) blanked out, said DRDO officials. The American satellites that run the GPS had been switched off on the day Barack Obama was sworn in the United States President, they said. The missile, therefore, travelled for 112 seconds instead of the slated 84 seconds and fell 7 km away from the target.

The officials could not say whether the Americans had deliberately switched off the GPS satellites to test whether India’s missile mission would be a success without them. They conceded that it was possible to switch off GPS-linked satellites selectively. The failure of the mission, therefore, has underlined the need for India to have its own GPS-linked satellites instead of depending on American or Russian constellations, said an official.

There something fishy about the reasoning here..Wouldn't the scientists know the GPS has been switched off before they launched the missile? or did the switching off happened after the missile was launched? Somehow I don't buy this reasoning.

edit: sorry didn't see this : "he GPS data did not come in time, so the INS data with its uncorrected error was taken as the reference and we missed the target.”
"

Nitesh can u tell which deal they are talking about it and India already enter 2sqdn of akash and AAD or PAD both going to direction of success ???

The point I am telling is the unnecessary spin given here and there Barak Ii was getting discussed from a long time with different range for IAF(120km) and IN(70-80km). Mean while Akash version II is also under development which will have range around 45-50km. Now regarding AAD whether IAF approached DRDO for modifying it for anti aircraft role or not and what was DRDO answer are not known in public so it seems like just sensationalizing the news. These sort of news appeared previously also.

this deal was approve at 2008 then why these people objecting now.

SPYDER system i think more advance than akash in its present status.

And they are talking about advance SPYDER.

LCA the spyder system is taken as an interim measure for SR SAM purpose where trishul has been stopped till the Maitri system comes online

The point I am telling is the unnecessary spin given here and there Barak Ii was getting discussed from a long time with different range for IAF(120km) and IN(70-80km). Mean while Akash version II is also under development which will have range around 45-50km. Now regarding AAD whether IAF approached DRDO for modifying it for anti aircraft role or not and what was DRDO answer are not known in public so it seems like just sensationalizing the news. These sort of news appeared previously also.

Are you have source of information about AkashII.
Please share and also there are also talk about converting ASTRA into SAM for IN and IA just like PYTHON,but i think that take time, if it is true.

Are you have source of information about AkashII.
Please share and also there are also talk about converting ASTRA into SAM for IN and IA just like PYTHON,but i think that take time, if it is true.

Not much info:

Air Defense: Akash Ascendant
India wants to built a version of Akash for use on ships, and is already looking into a longer range (60 kilometers) version.

Regarding Astra there is some interesting things in store. Something like it will be able to be fired from one plane and guided by other but ti will take time (Source: vayu Jan edition)

LCA the spyder system is taken as an interim measure for SR SAM purpose where trishul has been stopped till the Maitri system comes online

Lca can u give me the link when the maitri deal sign with france for jv of this LLQRM ?

Back
Top Bottom